Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Hmmm. I've had another look at Garth's diagrams, the photos and the model. I'm not convinced Airfix have it wrong as the area in front of the panels does seem to be metal? The diagram has lines behind the panels, like the fabric on the rest of the wing? Here are some shots of the wings I have:

23714155493_a512e8eb57_n.jpg 24258475641_99f37b5c56_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I think on balance I'm going to be lazy, stick my fingers in my ears and go "OOB, OOB". I hope it doesn't offend too many people :)

• Like 5

I think it's the area to the rear of the access panels that should be metal. There are several other threads on here about the issue.

On the Hurricane I made, I taped around the area, filled it, sanded it and, wasn't happy with the result... you might be right to leave it.

• Like 1

I left it, and was happy with it.

As Simon said its the fabric directly behind the the gun panels that should be metal.

I missed your post on the hurricane wheel well so didn't get chance to comment. I used ploy cement and got the top wing in place unglued and used it like a jig for mine it made it a lot less fiddley by the third one.

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Simon and Rob - I shall leave it! :)

Blenheim is out of the box and the holes for the bomb racks drilled. I found it tricky to angle the drill in the end of the grooves inside the fuselage and I hope they're straight

24334428246_09d35ab7ac_z.jpg

Straight? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

One of them looks out of place to me... No doubt I can fiddle this later.

• Like 3

Oh, I also blobbed some Liquid Green Stuff in those awful ejector marks - they may not be visible but I'm feeling, er, what's the word, pedantic?

24252563042_bda8b37b85_z.jpg

Four? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've ordered some sanding needles today - I put them on the shopping list after the MkI.F and now I remember why.

• Like 6

Good to see you work so well. Watch it with interest. Gone a bit off here for a while. Just because of my truely second hobby love aside of plastic. Old diecast by siku, matchbox, schuco, corgie and so on. Just have to restore or refurbish some of them to get them shining again. A more difficult field, than I expected :banghead: , but old memories haunted me for a while. So any help with techniques is very appreciated and a look at your work feels very convincing to get some ideas or tools. Cheers :goodjob:

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

That's what I call steady progress :) The care with the wing parts alignment will surely be time well spent. I was also very interested on the debate about the metal area behind the gun access panels. I'll have to search about that, as I'll be building this same Airfix Hurricane in a few weeks for the Hurricane STGB.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

They're looking good Ced. I tried to convert the entire Hurricane wing to resemble a metal one. It's still sitting in the box with lots of putty on it. I guess it still has the potential to be successful, but I'm not throwing any stones at your caution regarding the metal area behind the guns.

• Like 1

Good to see you work so well. Watch it with interest. Gone a bit off here for a while. Just because of my truely second hobby love aside of plastic. Old diecast by siku, matchbox, schuco, corgie and so on. Just have to restore or refurbish some of them to get them shining again. A more difficult field, than I expected :banghead: , but old memories haunted me for a while. So any help with techniques is very appreciated and a look at your work feels very convincing to get some ideas or tools. Cheers :goodjob:

Thanks bbudde. Die cast restoration sounds interesting, but beyond my experience... although I have fond memories of my Corgi cars when I was little. I can see why you're attracted and I hope it goes well. :)

Hi Ced,

That's what I call steady progress :) The care with the wing parts alignment will surely be time well spent. I was also very interested on the debate about the metal area behind the gun access panels. I'll have to search about that, as I'll be building this same Airfix Hurricane in a few weeks for the Hurricane STGB.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - I'll watch out for your Hurricane and I hope this helps a bit :)

They're looking good Ced. I tried to convert the entire Hurricane wing to resemble a metal one. It's still sitting in the box with lots of putty on it. I guess it still has the potential to be successful, but I'm not throwing any stones at your caution regarding the metal area behind the guns.

Hi Cookie, I know what you mean! I watched the BoB builds with interest and reviewed the threads before I started. All that chopping, glueing and especially filling and sanding put me off 'conversion' and I just went for an old Airfix kit to bash for the GB - it's the 'chicken' in me :)

A bit more done last night. Wing spars carefully fitted making sure the front and rear sections (where the fuselage will go) were flush. Airfix new-tool tolerances are great but care now will be rewarded later, I hope!

24262380512_5960708095_z.jpg

That was all I managed. It was 'Blue Bloods' last night, one of my favourite programs... so I sat in front of 'the box' rather than the bench. I like this show... Tom Selleck as the NY Police Commissioner trying to do 'the right thing' while surrounded by political animals; there's always a moral (or three) and lots of good old family values. It also provides me with some exercise doing the air drums to the end of the opening music. Every little helps!

• Like 6

The sanding needles have arrived and, as hoped, have made fiddly little areas much easier to get at:

24099504760_0304f598be_z.jpg

Useful by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The combination of round section, flat / angled end and slightly flexible tip made it really easy to get into the awkward places on the fuselage interior. It was worth waiting for them.

• Like 4

Thorough work Ced! I may 'forget' to sand out sink marks most of the time.

Those sanding needles are handy alright. Another thing you can do is superglue a little strip of sand paper to the angle end - perfect for sanding wing roots and the like. I started gluing a little felt between the needle and the sandpaper so it has a little 'give'.

• Like 3

Thorough work Ced! I may 'forget' to sand out sink marks most of the time.

Those sanding needles are handy alright. Another thing you can do is superglue a little strip of sand paper to the angle end - perfect for sanding wing roots and the like. I started gluing a little felt between the needle and the sandpaper so it has a little 'give'.

Thanks Cookie - I do sometimes forget and, at my age, will probably forget more often in the future (that's my excuse!) :)

Great tip on the sand paper, thanks.

Late to the party as usual, but I'm here with my glass of wine and popcorn, well perhaps not the popcorn!

Those sanding needles look good but perhaps I won't need them for the scales I build.

John

Welcome John :) The needles are also good for getting the sprue off frames - like Spitfire and Hurricane internals. Think about it next time?

Also late to the party Ced, liking it so far,

Sean

Welcome Sean - thanks :)

I've been separating and de-flashing the Blenheim internals for what seems like days, but finally I was ready to apply the aluminium to the Hurricane and Spitfire internals and also to some parts of the Hurri wing that I want to try the Chipping Medium* on.

24118494980_e6e5d1df92_z.jpg

Aluminium by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I plan to let this dry as I need to mask up before applying the IG and black. I decided to use some decanted H24 rattle can for the prop tips so loaded up the AB and squirted away (it covers really well) but when I gave the AB a quick clean the Ultimate cleaner turned the paint to gloop and I had to strip down and clear the mess, which took ages:

23787719463_072ddd7c30_z.jpg

What's that all about? I had to use Humbrol enamel thinners in the end and was pushing yellow worms out of the nozzle again and again - weird!

Anyway, I've now added the Blenheim bits to the pile of stuff that needs (some) masking and IG.

24333452681_627bcfccfc_z.jpg

Ready for IG and black by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Out for dinner and Theatre tonight (Lord of the Flies) so probably no more until tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

* As Darby said in the 'What have you last pruchased' thread, not far from Chipping Norton. :D

• Like 6

Hi Ced,

Great progress, as always. I liked those sanding needles. Where did you get them from?

Regarding the chipping fluid, I've come to the conclusion that chipping is a multi-step process. We shouldn't leave it to the end but do it when each paint coat is not too hard (when using several colours), even when using the chipping fluid. Certainly not after applying clear of flat coats. I will try this muti-step approach next time, as I'm not completely happy with my results so far.

For AB cleaning I've found that nothing beats cellulose thinners, even when using acrylic paints.

Did you like the play? I read "The Lord of the Flies" a few years ago and its a superb stark novel.

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
  • Like 2

Hi Ced,

Great progress, as always. I liked those sanding needles. Where did you get them from?

Regarding the chipping fluid, I've come to the conclusion that chipping is a multi-step process. We shouldn't leave it to the end but do it when each paint coat is not too hard (when using several colours), even when using the chipping fluid. Certainly not after applying clear of flat coats. I will try this muti-step approach next time, as I'm not completely happy with my results so far.

For AB cleaning I've found that nothing beats cellulose thinners, even when using acrylic paints.

Did you like the play? I read "The Lord of the Flies" a few years ago and its a superb stark novel.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :) The sanding needles are by Albion Alloys and I got mine here but they're on Amazon et al too. I went for the assorted pack to try them out.

Thanks for the tips on chipping - I think your results are pretty good! I'll try it on the Hurricane; I've applied some aluminium to the wing roots and access panels but this will probably get covered by the primer so I'll do it again - multi-step as you suggest.

Cellulose thinners for cleaning noted. :)

"pushing yellow worms out".............. :jealous:

I hope it's not contagious!!

Sean

Yuk, so do I! :)

Could of been worse, he could of been using brown paint!!!!

Nice work Ced, just seen the thread and read through.

I will follow along dear chap, if I may?

Simon.

Thanks Simon and of course you're welcome to follow along :)

You definitely are cracking on with these ced. Nice work sorting out the sink mark, the clever tools appear to do the trick!!

Rob

Thanks Rob - I hope to get some more done today but we're out to lunch for a 60th birthday... I may, or may not, have alcohol!

• Like 1

Just to get in there first with chipping on the hurricane, and this may be a little wrong but, wing roots up to the gun bay were metal nose forward of the cockpit was also metal. Most areas from the CP back were wood that was doped or doped fabric.

I will no doubt be corrected as I am not a technical wiz but the vast majority of my builds last year were hurricanes so I hope it's some help.

Hope you drink responsibly....😐

Rob

• Like 2