Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

If you haven't painted the windows, let me know as I have some spare decals that you can have.

Thanks Simon, very kind as always :) i've had a close look this morning and I think it looks fine but, if you don't mind, I'll reserve judgement until the other masks come off.

Great stuff Ced, I particularly like the Hurricane underside.

Cheers

John

Thanks John :)

Breathing life into her now Ced.

With her decals on.

Those small ones are a laugh, with our eyesight LOL.

Looks good.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Yes, they're certainly a 'challenge' even with magnifiers. I keep thinking about the Spit's tiny, tiny stencils but I don't think I'll manage those... last time I lost a couple in the brush hairs and so I had 80% of them on but know it wasn't 'finished' - that's the sort of pain I don't need. :)

Great progress on all three Ced. The metal undersides really look great in True Metal. Bummer about the seam on the Spitfire, but looks like you've got that sorted.

Is it too early to ask what's next?

Thanks Cookie :) Too early to ask? Probably... Although it was the 40th anniversary of Concorde's first commercial flight last week and I have that Revell kit that Jon (06/24) and PC 'encouraged' me to buy at Duxford...

I think I'll finish these, hang (some of) my finished models on the ceiling to give me some space and then take a poll.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, very kind as always :) i've had a close look this morning and I think it looks fine but, if you don't mind, I'll reserve judgement until the other masks come off.

Not a problem for me, I have three MkIVs in the stash (which ain't going to get made any time soon) so I have plenty of spares.

Just PM me, if you need them.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob - they're all being a bit tiresome (except the Spit, of course) but nearly there :)

Thanks Simon - we'll have a look soon; I may just dirty up the windows if I go mad with the weathering.

Frustrating day today - Mrs B helps run a local 'creative speaking' festival and once a year I get to merge a spreadsheet of competitors with a document that looks like the pre-printed tickets and then try to mail merge and print on the postcard-like tickets. Of course there's always been a new version of Word / Excel since the last time, or I've bought a new printer so it's a sequence of edit / print / chuck in bin... I wish I was in a business that's easier... brain surgery perhaps.

Hurricane transfer applied, including the W/T marks. See if you can spot them on the black wing!

24508698079_cc26d5ac26_n.jpg 24876290105_64b2360f8e_n.jpg

Done by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The roundels on the bottom (fnaar fnaar) both go over bumps on the wings so they've had some MicroSet splashed on. I may leave them now until tomorrow just to be safe.

• Like 6

Thanks Simon :) Can I what? (Edit: Oh, spot the W/T transfers? No, I can't)

I had a quick look at the Spit transfers and decided they wouldn't take much time so they're on too. I can see why people have trouble with the roundels tearing:

24249470684_d70e8f4892_z.jpg

Nasty lumps. I was very careful as these are Xtradecals remember, but they went on OK I think:

24877630825_850a19d104_n.jpg 24250784953_79759c2d63_n.jpg

Done too by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

MicroSOL on those as well (not Set, Sol, sorry for the usual error above). So, all three are now ready for dirtying up when dry, probably tomorrow now:

24851383856_5419348239_z.jpg

Trio by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

(Don't forget the bombs Ced....)

• Like 7

They look great, Ced.

If you want little stencils, that will be visible on a black wing, get the Airfix I/ II boxing as it was white stencils.

Edit: to correct spelling.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Thanks Spookytooth - tums tickled!

Thanks Beard - I did get the transfers out of the I/II I have in the stash and then my enthusiasm for stencils just drained away... but thanks for the tip.

Thanks Rob - fingers crossed on the settling. I have found that the Airfix transfers settle really well with DecalFix so I hope the Xtradecals will behave as well.

Thinking about what's next I have had a look at this:

24253023613_754e96791a_z.jpg

Scary by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and it scared me silly. It's the first time I've seen instructions with a trowel in and it seems to be used on the seams A LOT. The Hurricane box lid is there for scale. Gulp.

I'll have a ponder when these are done and I've cleared down the workspace.

• Like 6

The trio look great Ced. I know what you mean about the roundels and the lumps under the wing, they get me every time. It seems like Mitchell could have done something to accommodate modellers 75+ years in the future, but oh no, it had to do things like fly, and help save Western Civilization.

Looks like you could stand up and walk around in that Concorde when it's complete.

• Like 2

Great trio C. Those Spitfire bumps get me every time, you'd think I'd

know by now!

Oooh, Concorde, good luck with that. Forget the ponder, we've seen it already,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

A rushed post just before we go out...

Weathering. Should be something here that's suitable:

24597630030_e164693508_z.jpg

OTT? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Dirtied up the Blenheim with the Mig wash, a bit of black for the exhausts and fitted the bombs:

24805094441_11011a68b0_n.jpg 24807386531_e7aa46c7e1_n.jpg

Bombs on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It was a really fiddly job getting the props on and the bombs on straight, probably due to paint on the joins (of course) but I hope they're on OK.

• Like 5

Thanks Simon :) Obsessive is the word...

Thanks bbudde :)

I'm a lot happier now the matt coat is on and that shiny green has toned down nicely. I'm calling this one done:

24912017445_c4a912dbe3_z.jpg

Even the pilot seems to be smiling.

The windows also look fine so thanks Beard for the kind offer of the transfers but I think I'm happy.

24283892334_f6c237a4bb_z.jpg

24616574380_aa5fd22b74_z.jpg

24818701781_e18c00333d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and a couple of the compulsory 'in flight' shots:

24285218923_652d2dc06a_n.jpg 24285225573_9910ba3da5_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Spoke too soon - perhaps I should fit the landing light? :doh:

• Like 12

Thanks John and Debs, very kind :)

I've blobbed some AK on the back of the landing light and fitted that. I've also noticed the extra bit of tiny masking right at the front of the windscreen. NOW it's done (??)

24821313481_7a79b6caf8_n.jpg 24796737842_bcd839debc_n.jpg

I can see! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Close up of the lower windows - I think they're OK?

• Like 4