Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Thanks Debs :)

All sorted now including the fiddly guns in the turret:

24480349392_df42a6182c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I was going to say how pleased I was with my new ProCamera app recommended by a jeweller (don't ask!) - it allows much better control over the focus and exposure and allows you to show just how rubbish the assembly is at this scale :doh:

I've also assembled the engines, Mr Hobby Iron rubbed up a bit...

24579480455_5c8831ea51.jpg

Engines by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... using the normal iPhone camera hence out of focus :doh:

Anyway, all the bits are probably at the stage where I can put them aside ready for priming:

23960514724_3bcc68221a_z.jpg

Ready for priming? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and I can get on with the Spitfire - saving the best 'til last!

• Like 8

Thanks Simon, Simon and Jaime, very kind :)

A couple of things before I go back to the Spitfire... :

- luckily the gun pack is all black - the thought of masking between the guns was worrying me

- on the Spitfire the Xtradecal sheet states that the top wing roundels were resized. Any ideas on trying to replicate the 'ring' around the roundels?

Have a look at the scheme here (top of 4th image) any ideas appreciated (or I'll just pretend I haven't seen it!) :)

• Like 1

I would paint the area where the original roundel was a lighter or darker colour then mask before painting the other upper colours.

There's a build of a Flying Tigers P-40 on here where this was done.

Or, I'd ignore it.

• Like 1

Personally I'd ignore it - the repaint would have been done in the same colours, so it just depends how much you think the original paint might have faded between application and when the new paint was applied, scaled down 72 times; I would be happy to imagine that it would be unnoticeable :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Thanks Simon - did you mean this one? Pah, that guy's an idiot... :D

Thanks Stew, good point...

The P-40's a bit different as the roundels moved so it was a matter of just masking off the 'old' position. This one has sort of darker rings around the new, smaller roundels.

I think you're both right and will gracefully take the opportunity to ignore it.

Thanks chaps!

I just ignored Ced when I done that option in the Bob GB. I figured by the time I

had two lots of varnish on, you wouldn't really see it anyway.

The Blenheim bits look good

23960514724_3bcc68221a_z.jpg

Looking in the background of this pic, have you taken up dentistry? :hmmm:

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks Sean, vote 3 for 'ignore the roundels', perfect :)

I haven't taken up dentistry... just my tweezer fetish. You can never have too many...

Heard a great Roald Dahl quote on 'Quote Unquote' just now: "Fiona has the same glacial beauty as an iceberg, but unlike an iceberg she has absolutely nothing below the surface." :rofl:

Anyway, to delay my pleasure on the Spitfire I fiddled with the Hurri canopy (having painted the irritating panel behind the canopy DG) and roughed up the collector rings as is my wont:

23980618394_63f8159f8e_z.jpg

Canopy and cowlings by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'd also masked the Blenheim turret and found a use for those squidgy foam bits you get in packaging to protect the inside when sprayed:

23980647214_1015ed0b1a.jpg

Then, finally, I fiddled with the Spit internals. The headrest is drying:

24500729742_959ab63da9_z.jpg

Ready by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ready for assembly!

• Like 8

Those Spitfire bits are very nice, and good progress on the rest.

I know what you mean about the tweezers, I'm the same with brushes, I can't go to Easons*

without buying one or two, ridiculous really.

Sean

*It's like WH Smiths for Ireland

• Like 1

Tidy work on these Ced :goodjob:

- on the Spitfire the Xtradecal sheet states that the top wing roundels were resized. Any ideas on trying to replicate the 'ring' around the roundels?

Have a look at the scheme here (top of 4th image) any ideas appreciated (or I'll just pretend I haven't seen it!) :)

If you are spraying the main colours I've found painting a dark circle of the relevant size before the main colours go on helps give a subtle hint of extra depth.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - did you mean this one? Pah, that guy's an idiot... :D

You could say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I'd also masked the Blenheim turret and found a use for those squidgy foam bits you get in packaging to protect the inside when sprayed:

23980647214_1015ed0b1a.jpg

I've eaten cakes that look like that... which may say more about me than I think.

Anyway, to delay my pleasure on the Spitfire I fiddled with the Hurri canopy (having painted the irritating panel behind the canopy DG) and roughed up the collector rings as is my wont:

23980618394_63f8159f8e_z.jpg

Canopy and cowlings by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Then, finally, I fiddled with the Spit internals. The headrest is drying:

24500729742_959ab63da9_z.jpg

Ready by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ready for assembly!

They look great.

• Like 4

Those Spitfire bits are very nice, and good progress on the rest.

I know what you mean about the tweezers, I'm the same with brushes, I can't go to Easons*

without buying one or two, ridiculous really.

Sean

*It's like WH Smiths for Ireland

Hi Sean. Brushes? Well, if I move the camera slightly to the left... :)

The Spitfire internals look good Ced. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can never have to many tweezers or forceps either, come to that.

Simon.

Forceps??!! I have one pair of suture tweezers but I must look out for some of those, presumably good at getting into (gulp) awkward places?

Tidy work on these Ced :goodjob:

If you are spraying the main colours I've found painting a dark circle of the relevant size before the main colours go on helps give a subtle hint of extra depth.

Thanks Col - I may give that a try if I remember while I'm doing the black undersides (makes note to self).

You could say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I've eaten cakes that look like that... which may say more about me than I think.

They look great.

Thanks Simon! :)

As usual I had to fiddle with the internals - I can't seem to get the bits to line up, probably due to painted joins, and the pilot just made things worse. So I've dry fitted and then glued one side. Hopefully, when dry, I can squeeze the pilot in, but he's patiently waiting at the moment:

24318414990_c2a33c54ee_n.jpg 24505762612_e5a56c590d_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks Jaime :)

Crikey, these really fly together once you get going don't they? I had a bit of nostalgia painting the inside of the wings; why I bothered I don't know but the 'thought process' went something like:

- Ooo, the wheel wells are Sky / H90. I haven't used that for ages.

- Ah, the central strip is interior green. I wonder if I have a little pot of that as I'm too lazy to get the AB going just for that bit

- I could brush paint Humbrol, just like I used to...

and the result was this:

23998375734_cf8f3e1ff2_z.jpg

Nostalgic by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Have a good look - that's the last time you'll see it! The H78 brushed / covered so well I've ordered some, along with some VMA 'Aged White'.

I also got the chance to use the stand thingy I bought at Telford. I haven't done a single engined prop for a while so it's the first outing:

24001202024_94675e89f0_z.jpg

First use of stand by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

You have to be careful drilling out the prop hole or the fuselage will split (ask me how I know) but it does give you something obvious to hold onto and somewhere obvious to put the model while bits are drying.

All ready for canopy masking now, then it's clean down and (dah dah dah) black / white / grey primer. I guess this is the bit you've all been waiting for - I know I have :)

• Like 8

You have to be careful drilling out the prop hole or the fuselage will split... but it does give you something obvious to hold onto a

Heyo!

(Unlike Beard, I scarcely rise above the level of the beasts of the field.)

• Like 3