Black and White Trio - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Nice work, Ced. I have to disagree with your choice of listening though... I cannot bear The Archers.

Edit: to correct spelling.

Thanks Simon - I guess The Archers is a bit 'Marmite' but Mrs B has me well conditioned...

Just to get in there first with chipping on the hurricane, and this may be a little wrong but, wing roots up to the gun bay were metal nose forward of the cockpit was also metal. Most areas from the CP back were wood that was doped or doped fabric.

I will no doubt be corrected as I am not a technical wiz but the vast majority of my builds last year were hurricanes so I hope it's some help.

Hope you drink responsibly....

Rob

Thanks Rob - I just plan some chipping on the wing root and around the access panels, just to try it out.

Two bottles of London Pride with food - fairly responsible for a change!

Looking busy Ced.

Just remember which part goes with which build LOL.

Simon.

I was thinking that, good luck with keeping track of all the many parts involved. :winkgrin:

Thanks Simon and Nigel. They have their own foam lumps, I'm leaving other parts in the boxes and building them one by one so hopefully I won't get things mixed up!

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Diluting London Pride with food? Shame on you. On the other hand you get points for being an Archers fan.

The Agrax Earthshade wash sounds like a good idea, don't know if I'll be able to find it in France though, there used to be a shop in Limoges which sold Citadel paints but it closed down a couple of months after I discovered it!

Keep up the good work

John

• Like 1

Thanks Stew :)

Thanks John and I apologise - usually 'Pride' is consumed on its own but there were 'gentlefolk' at the party.

Thanks Cookie - it's worth hunting for; get some of Stew's crew paint and green stuff while you're at it!

Today's efforts were a bit frantic. Airfix 'new tools' are close-tolerance I know but this one seems a bit, well, dodgy. A dry fit had shown that the I/P support fit to the seat frame was a bit 'precise' and it worried me, so I did a dry fit and everything was fine, so I glued it to the fuselage. Then I thought 'hang on, where's the instruction for inserting the pilot?' Right at the end (step 20)? I'm not sure about that... so I dry fitted the wing, broke the control column off (again), re-glued it, waited a bit and then re-fitted the wing and tried to get the pilot in - no chance! Getting his legs around the control column and frame was too hard. So I put the pilot in and fitted the wing. Now the control column is behind the I/P. Rats. Out again. Straighten everything up and be more careful this time. Fitted. Reach for the glue and the wing drops off. Double rats. Start again...

Anyway, after some fiddling I got the wing and fuselage parts together but the fuselage wasn't as close a fit as it had been without the wing and it didn't close. Moreover the bottom part at the back was a bit warped. OK, let's do this a step at a time:

24094846139_edf609ced5_z.jpg

24095336309_6325a7b7b0_z.jpg

... but look at the gap at the front of the wing. Wiggle wiggle. I also had a quick panic as the pilot's quite high so I ripped the canopy off the sprue to make sure it would fit - it does. After that dried I joined up and glued the rest - Tamiya Extra Thin down the clamped joints.

23835355994_86e68142cc_z.jpg

Hopefully it will be nice and tight. I hope.

• Like 9

Hmm that's weird Ced, I've never had a problem closing up the Hurri fuselage, could it be the IP or the bulkhead behind the seat was not quite clicked in place and was preventing the halves going together properly? Looks like you're on top of it anyway, hopefully it won't cause some other fit issue further down the line...

Cheers,

Stew

Fingers crossed on that one Ced

Simon.

Thanks Simon - worked out OK in the end (see below).

Hmm that's weird Ced, I've never had a problem closing up the Hurri fuselage, could it be the IP or the bulkhead behind the seat was not quite clicked in place and was preventing the halves going together properly? Looks like you're on top of it anyway, hopefully it won't cause some other fit issue further down the line...

Cheers,

Stew

Hey Stew. I think you might be right (of course!) On the dry fit the parts went together really well. With the seat and IP glued in and then the wing it was bulgy, a bit. It's either that or something to do with the wings; I had to use a bit of filler on the leading edge and tonight I had trouble with the wheels up parts - they didn't want to settle and kept twisting / dipping at the back. All's well(ish) now.

High drama indeed there Ced. You had me concerned there for a moment but seems you've mastered it :thumbsup:

Thanks Col. All together and waiting for the canopy fit / masking. I'll get one of the others going and go back to this when my masking mojo returns!

23842291693_d2dcd1fd90_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Stew do you think that pilot's sitting a bit high, indicative of a problem with the seat assembly?

• Like 4

Stew do you think that pilot's sitting a bit high, indicative of a problem with the seat assembly?

No doubt pride at being part of this great endeavour causes him to sit a little straighter.

• Like 4

The pilot does seem to be quite upright Ced, but not that much... if you've got all the major joins fixed to your satisfaction I wouldn't worry too much; the seat was adjustable for take-off and landing I believe :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Outstanding interior detailing and painting, Ced! It's a pity the fit problems on the Hurri but it seems all was resolved in the end :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

First of ced, your interior painting is absolutely cracking and that wash is a great investment.

Secondly I would second what stew has said, all is closed up to a point where your happy then don't worry about your pilot, he is new don't forget and probably already worried about getting bumped by the baddies on your ceiling!

I had issues with getting the wings to mate with the body perfectly, I always had a little gap or step in the chin area

Very nice work and I look forward to your work on the others

Rob

• Like 1

You had the same problems I did with the wings, including the need for filler on the leading edge, though the fuselage on mine went together fine. I'm wondering if it's all linked to the wheel bay fit.

Anyway, looking decent now. Good luck with the undercarriage and canopy :-)

John.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - supportive as always and you're all very kind :)

Rob and John it's nice to know I wasn't the only one with fit problems and Rob, like the pilot, this is my first time on this 'mark'. I can see why people build more than one of the same kit, seeking 'perfection' and learning from previous, er, issues. Maybe I'll buy another and do the second scheme... or check my Hurricane Xtradecal sheet and see if I can find a rag wing... :hmmm:

Just for you here are some close-ups of the joins post Micromeshing, and the wheels up parts, third time lucky. Rob you can see the remnants of the chin join, most of which has been swiped away:

24181403110_a1c31700b3_z.jpg

24109219329_9567800aa1_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Happy with it now, although the primer will no doubt show up some problems.

I have to say that the new tools and my Micromesh sticks are making sanding a LOT more pleasant... or perhaps it's just me getting more patient. Nah, it's the Micromesh I think.

• Like 7

Micromesh can be addictive, please start....

Nice work on the chin there ced, swiped that clear I would say! And a dam sight better than me, which is a shame as I did this kit in triplicate 😭😃

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob... I remember your '151 squadron 3 ways' - great work Rob, but all that chopping!

I've also found your Thunderbolt in the GB - I must look out for these as I've decided not to join any more GBs for a while but don't want to miss the fun!

• Like 1

Cheers for the link ced. That was a fun build in the end, it just needed a bit more time than the GB! It's a great kit to do these things on.

I have done the opposite to you with the GB's I think I have over committed!! Come along for the ride though mate!

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Rob - I'll look out for your posts and will, of course, join in for Edgar's GB.

Thanks Simon - Micromesh is my new friend.

Thanks Cookie - that's it, looking for targets (through the gunsight I can't be bothered to add!)

On to the Blenheim. I was looking out for a dodgy fit around the bomb bay and I wasn't disappointed, but clamps sorted it out. (Flickr's not opening my albums at the moment so I'll give it a while... just got back from seeing the new Star Wars with the boys. Really enjoyed it. 3D too - crikey! Still not working... I'll try in a minute...)

Still not working - odd. I'll come back in the morning... night all :)

• Like 1

Great work on the chin join, Ced. Looks good from this side of the net :)

I've also found your Thunderbolt in the GB - I must look out for these as I've decided not to join any more GBs for a while but don't want to miss the fun!

I have done the opposite to you with the GB's I think I have over committed!! Come along for the ride though mate!

Well... I'm with Rob regarding GBs... I've also overcommitted... If I manage to build all the models I'm planning to enter into GBs, I'll finish 2016 with 18 models built. Completely unrealistic, of course... :banghead:

Keep up the good work, Ced!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1