Focke-Wulf Ta-183 - 1/72 PM Model

Hi,

Thank you for your support. That helps to keep the momentum, especially with the Rufe teasing me and crying to have its cockpit painted.

Before attaching the windshield in position, I’m trying to finish the “dirty” work that would present some risk of damaging this so difficulty obtained part. This consists of:

• Scribing new panels and rescribing the ones that have been erased by the sanding
  • Lowering the flaps; this is done by cutting the sides of the flap with a fine razor blade, by deepening the engraving of the flap on the lower side with the scribing tool and by gently bending the flap into a convincing position, without breaking it loose.
  • Creating formation lights

36523746392_4b26b9266c_o.jpg

I use some artistic licence for the scribing and the light as nothing can be found in the available documentation.

Hope you like them!

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Haven't had much time to seat at my workbench lately.

Here is a picture of the cockpit. Nearly finished.

36523727752_3be01f11a9_o.jpg

Next step is masking and painting. :)

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Jjust a quick update.

Paint job is proceeding but only slowly.

Wings are done... and masked :winkgrin:

I'm struggling to get a smooth surface finish on the fuselage though. Should have use primer…

36297841720_e35d338b6b_o.jpg

I'll come back when masks are off.

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 1

Hi,

So finally I have decided to go for the home made canopy.

It has been a long time since I haven’t done one but here is how I have proceeded. Feel free to comment.

This is the material I used:

• One small candle
  • Fimo paste
  • Razor blade (the tape on the second blade is made to avoid cutting myself)
  • Clear plastic sheet

DSC06138%20-%20Copie_zpsimqjjphb.jpg

So, in a first step, I created supports for the old canopy parts thanks to the Fimo paste. Don’t hesitate to make them high enough so you can easily strap the soften plastic around it. I didn’t and had to improvise supports…

DSC06142%20-%20Copie_zpskjc6nqnj.jpgDSC06135%20-%20Copie_zpslsdzzu4w.jpgDSC06140%20-%20Copie_zps86naloch.jpg

Then I cut strips of clear plastic 5or plain, depending what has to be acheived) wide enough so that I won’t get burnt.

They are then softened above the candle, trying to get an even soft surface. Once still hot and soft, they are pressed on the old canopy parts. After a few second, the plastic cools and it can be removed.

DSC06136%20-%20Copie_zpsnn74nnmf.jpgDSC06141%20-%20Copie_zpsilwlw8yf.jpg

The excess plastic is trimmed off. Once again, I used the old part as a guide for finishing.

And here we are: one home moulded canopy.

DSC06146%20-%20Copie_zpswnilwxn1.jpg

At the end of the day, this was not that terrible, but some tries were required to get cleanly moulded part...

DSC06143%20-%20Copie_zps7exwqebg.jpg

Now I have to adjust it on the model but that would be for another night.

Cheers,

Antoine

While the outcome certainly looks fantastic. what i sometimes find usefull to make canopies is the use of a female mould. sust a simple piece of thick card with a shape cut out slightly larger than the plug. this also means the plug mould will have to be a bit taller than the actual canopy, so you'll have to add a 'foot' to it so that when it's pushed all the wat in the actual mould will slide all the way tough and past the edge of the female mould. hold the card with the plastic at the bottom and heat untill you can observe is getting softy, and than quickly either push if over the male mould.

your clear bit deeds to be clamped or taped along all the edges. this adds a bit of complexity wich isn't always needed, as you demonstrate, but i find it reduces the ammount of plastic needed as you can use smaller pieces and also prevents the plastic from warping at the edges.

But great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Paint done :).

I used Gunze paints:

H417 = RLM76

H421 = RLM83

H422 = RLM82

Wings were masked. Fuselage was free-handed.

I'm not 100% happy with the result (some strips are on the "heavy" side on the tail)... maybe I'll try again... or not...

Hope you'll enjoy the pictures.

On 27/02/2016 at 6:58 AM, lunarhighway said:

if you're still looking for balls, i'd look at the heads of sewing pins, an added advantage is thai if you cut off the actual pin but leave a short length of it you have an instant mounting peg, and you might even find one in the right color. you may have some around the house, but they're usually cheap and have a million modeling applications. should the diameter be to small you can increase it slightly by dipping into paint or something like kristal kleer.

lovely build!

By the way, now you can see the sewing pins. Thanks again for the tip!

Have a nice weekend,

Antoine

36554984381_5d0359ca6f_o.jpg

36554985921_feef0cd486_o.jpg

36297836260_bfbd08f298_o.jpg

36297838290_96b75152ff_o.jpg

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

Here are the latest progresses.

Decals have been applied and sandwiched between two layers of gloss varnish. I know lot of people use some Future-like product but to be honest I have had several bad experience with this product, on application as well as after a couple of year. So I'm using Gunze varnish (heavily diluted).

The decals are mostly coming from my spare box (feedback is that Italeri decals behave very well even after 20 years; for instance, the grey dots are coming from their Fw-190 A8 box that I built back in '91... and in the end, no a single trace of silvering/ congratulations Italeri ! :thumbsup: ).

The model was then washed with a mixture of black oil paint and white spirit.

Graphite power was used on the canon nozzles.

Then it was all sealed under a matt varnish (Gunze again), tried to avoid applying this layer on the engine metallic nozzle.

The end result look like that:

36554982851_02e9e207ec_o.jpg

I have now some finishing jobs to do:

• a few paint patch-up (see the white line behind the cockpit)
  • add the breast belts
  • add the landing gears' bay doors with their actuators.

So next time, I hope to be able to present you with a fully finished model.

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I don't know how you manage your modelling, but for me, finishing a kit always takes ages :clif:

Anyway, here is the end results (at last).

Since last time, some touch-up of the paint (rear of the cockpit) and scratch built of the gear bay doors with their retracting mecanisms.

Thanks again for all your encouraging messages for this first participation to this forum. :thanks:

Cheers,

Antoine

36554980131_8701ca7dcb_o.jpg

36554978711_528124112e_o.jpg

36297818250_36a8b81bd0_o.jpg

36646887726_083bef121b_o.jpg

36646886616_9490c17b07_o.jpg

36297793960_530113e6fc_o.jpg

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 8

• 2 years later...