1/72 Airfix A-4B/P external tank question

Pappy

G'day people,

I vaguely recall that there may have been an issue with the size (length?) of the external tanks supplied. I want to build some Argentine A-4s (B/C/P), will I need to modify or replace the external tanks provided?

Alley Cat make a pair of replacement tanks for early USN A-4B/Cs, are these smaller tanks also applicable to the Argentine jets?

cheers,

Pappy

The problem with the Airfix tanks is that they have a parallel section in the middle.

See this link for what they should look like:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/douglas-low-drag-external-fuel-tanks.html

The Alley Cat tanks are fine as representations of the Aero 1D 300-gall tanks. Others are acceptable too, like those from the ESCI A-4 and IIRC the Hasegawa Skyraider. Think Alley Cat also do (or at least did) the smaller Aero 1C 150-gall tank: those are less commonly seen, certainly on Falklands-era Argentine Skyhawks.

Yeah, those ESCI kits we used to build by the dozen when we were kids and were scrapped mercilessly afterwards! They had very good tanks which are sorely missed now!

FErnando

Italeri's Skyhawks in 1/72nd are a lot like the Esci kits. Their A-4E/F and A-4M have a centerline tank, while their 0A-4M comes with two for the inner wing hardpoints.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

Italeri's Skyhawks in 1/72nd are a lot like the Esci kits. Their A-4E/F and A-4M have a centerline tank, while their 0A-4M comes with two for the inner wing hardpoints.

Cheers,

Andre

Hi, Andre,

Strange, I distinctly remember those Italeri kits to have raised panels, which would indicate an entirely different mould. NOw, present day Italeri E/F may very well be ESCI reboxings.

Cheers.

FErnando

Edited by Fernando