Hase 1/72 P-47d....SEAC!

Rob, I don't know if Micro Liquid Decal Film will help or not. I have some, but never used it. PC says that he's used it, but is difficult to verify its efficacy, as who knows if the transfer would have worked or not in the first place.

The decals on Tiny cracked here and there, but not too bad and I was able to salvage them. I thought I'd warn you, as they came from the same Xtradecal Corsair sheet as some that may have re-crossed the Atlantic in your direction.

cheers for the heads up cookie! We shall no doubt find out how they fair in the up coming GB. If they don't work I could go mad and build it with stars and bars... A tribute if you will to the American that helped me out with some fleet air arm transfers!

Rob

• Like 1

it's a shame about the letter cracking up as it looks great with the decals on.

If it's only the letter L that's useless you maybe able to make up a simple mask and hand paint it on! Being straight lines makes the whole process, use Tamiya tape of something similar and slice into fine strips, then using the other one as a reference mark it up on the fuselage, with a little more effort the F could be done as well?

• Like 1

So, as the very kind Sean (see above) has sent the academy transfers there will be a change of scheme..... Well letter codes, scheme is the same but it will KW*R on the side instead.

Very much appreciated as it saves me trying to mask it off!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So as you know, the good man above pinged some transfers my way! Which means I can get started on this again.

I have slightly tag teamed this with my f4u on the corsair GB. here is the work I have done on this.

25175078266_040a881bd4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

25175094576_475b559084_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

25083098532_45fdb1a6b1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So above is the the main transfers on and the while stripes gone at again, still not perfect but the best I can get I feel. Next up was trying to get a bleached and weathered look to the paint work.

24574570003_37af56ebc1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

With and with out

24905794400_b0e3dd5183_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Both sides done

24833700349_55d704853c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And a wash to the underside.

And that's where we are at so far chaps! I will have to glue the prop back on next, and finish painting it before I do that. Next up painting the bombs and a bit more weathering.

Nearly done!

Rob

• Like 3

It called the 'Tiny' effect.

Tiny, yes of course, my adopted corsair! The brute amongst the ballerinas.... I think however the p 47 is less, what's the word, well it's more direct! Yes it's more direct than even the corsair.... Like a battering ram

Rob

• Like 1

One of my favorite P-47 quotes is from Soviet test pilot Mark Gallai:

"The P-47 Thunderbolt is not a fighter. It is bigger than our standard frontal bomber and has a longer range. It carries more bombs and is more heavily armed."

It's hard to believe that it was actually a successful air superiority fighter (perhaps the first).

• Like 3

Nice one Rob, I see you managed to tame those decals, they can be a bit of a bugger to get to stick right.

She's looking good anyway, home straight ahead, :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 1

Nice one Rob, I see you managed to tame those decals, they can be a bit of a bugger to get to stick right.

She's looking good anyway, home straight ahead, :thumbsup:

Sean

I must say Sean I heeded your warning of using patience, I took my time and so boiling water to soften, they behaved like true gentleman and did their duty. Cheers again... However I have forgotten to do the under wing roundles.... Bugger.

They were big beasts and rather good at their job! Probably because, though big, they had the power to make it work.... However Tom Neil did have a go in one while seconded to the usaf, not being knowledgeable on the type treated it like a spitfire. Impressed by the power took it up to altitude and promptly flipped it and dropped out of the sky like a stone.... I personally would have wet myself and smashed into the ground... Thankfully he did not. Supposedly pilots who flew the type knew it to be a problem and kept away from it... Or at least that's what he said

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This has just gone very wrong....tried spraying clear laquer from a can today, the surface is ok in places but the canopy is frosted!!!! So angry!

I did give it a apart on an old kit, it went fine! But not in this...

Not sure if I can pull it back

Rob

Don't like the sound of that Rob. Is it salvageable? I'd hate to think you got this far

and not be able to finish,

Sean

• Like 1

A light rub back with the micro mesh or similar should help remove some of those patches, the canopy if you can remove it, just strip it back with over cleaner or such and repaint.

I had the same thing happen a while back, I applied a final flat clear coat to an Ar-234 and large areas on the wings and fuselage went frosty as well. I just carefully rubbed it back and touched up a couple of spots, she ended up looking fine.

• Like 1

Cheers chaps for the support.

I will let it fully go off then sand the worst areas and hopefully the flat coat will cover the rest 😬

As for the canopy I will probably replace! It's bad.... Cheers for the link cookie that will come in handy!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear the lacquer coat did not go well. :weep: That is not good news. I hope you are able to salvage what you have done so far.......fingers crossed!

• Like 1