Building my grandfathers Halifax

Ad2408

Hi all

I usually, when time allows (which isn't very often due to having a young daughter) make 1/72 armour so this is my first aircraft in a very long time.

When my grandfather passed away some years ago we found some of his old photos - this piqued my interest in modelling his actual aircraft not just a generic one.

He was a flight engineer on Halifaxes with 58 Squadron (Coastal Command) and the aircraft in the photos is "N for Nuts!" (As he wrote on the back)

These are the photos:

b46a18a42c14c9d0c78564f1e83b638b.jpg

ce1ab725a36424345d2edb7b4ffbc61d.jpg

f60b1111645da271165199668ea06b13.jpg

800261d763896cb9091e94c7106397e0.jpg

So in preparation for this marathon task I started a bit of research:

4f53cd26c82b9d0dc7bd9b67d16f2279.jpg

And so the shopping spree began:

43f84e9d6c379a9bff37c40d8aad4b7d.jpg

aad1e759d039ef83e302355ee14e6695.jpg

Thanks to 'Rossm' on here I also have the decal 'ingredients' to make the serial numbers and code letters up:

9af0c457cd9ce1ef06ebc07d7445610f.jpg

I'm aware that the revell kit isn't the most accurate out there but it's a starting point - there are a few things that I have planned for this which mean getting hold of a few more things - at the moment I am hunting (unsuccessfully) for 4 bladed props as I understand the kit ones aren't good (if I can't find any I'll reshape these!)

Anyway thanks for sticking with me, sure I will have lots of questions but at the moment and ideas/advice/help would be appreciated!

Hoping to crack on this weekend, if the little one allows!

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Ad2408
  • Like 10

The kit props are poor, but you will also have to change the spinners and the front of the engine cowlings. Fortunately there are two ways to do this. The easiest is to get the Freightdog conversion set for the Series 1a. A more involved approach is to get the Aeroclub replacement nacelles, cowlings, and propellers. The latter is the more accurate set, but considerably more work. Other desirable items include replacement wheels for main and tail undercarriages.

There's a lot more that can be done, if you really want to be picky, but the suggestions above will remove the more obvious eyesores.

Excellent photo's you have there. Such a build will prove very worthwhile to look into, an I do hope you find quality time to move forward with it. I know that's not always possible with a young family.

You need the Freightdog (or Aeroclub) set for a series 1a. Ignore anything that says "series 1 (Special)". Both companies are good at answering individual requests, and can be contacted via their threads on this site.

it is interesting to note a couple of points about the aircraft. It appears to have retained the two-colour uppersurfaces of the Temperate Sea Scheme (Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey) and has black leading-edge de-icer boots. By the end of the war most if not all Coastal Halifaxes in the white scheme had the later EDSG-only uppersurfaces in plan view only. This had a very high demarcation on the fuselage - just as on JP256! The exhausts are also interesting: they don't seem to have the common "saxaphones" but may be the final design only rarely seen - I think they should be visible in the photos of the 1945 SOE aircraft in Merrick's book.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

Looking forwards to this, all the more so due to your personal connection with the aircraft. I support Grahams advice in getting either the Freightdog or Aeroclub conversions. The Aeroclub one is injected plastic too and will end up being the most accurate finish.

Cheers

Neil

Watching this with interest as I have to make a BIII to represent BM-J which was my Grandafther's mount in 1944/5.

Lovely to have the connection.

Sadly that was more based on the Matchbox kit lines. I do have a 1/144 diecast Coastal Halifax GR Mk.II series 1a serialled NR744/G coded O. Sadly it has 3-blade props, Monica tail aerial and green/brown uppersurface camouflage - I do intend repainting at least the brown one day.

Hi all - thanks for all the replies and interest, sure I will have lots more questions in time!

Progress has been a little slow for obvious reasons but have managed to get a little done - very happy with the Eduard etch but that seat was more than a little fiddly! Worth it though I think.

d3d2975d23b616ac8e8f81763b25fb51.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all - making some pretty good progress (photos to follow tomorrow or over the weekend) but this has got me a bit stumped:

The instructions for the kit show:

ea189b6b0a2b97b03449acce55aac55b.jpg

But the Eduard instructions show this bench (55) fitted. Is this instead of the seat (on the far left)?

8555603a8529b450ee3514a4ce1dbacb.jpg

The reference photos I have show this bench seat but would it have been fitted to Coastal command aircraft?

Thanks in advance

Adam

• Like 2

Just over a year ago I built a Halifax BIII for a RAFA friend who was a wartime Nav, as a result we had several discussions about Halibags and about his role and the Nav Station in the aircraft. This lead me to discover that the Revell kit is wrong in providing a discrete seat for the Navigator.

On the Halibag the Nav and Bomb Aimer shared a folding bench seat that folded down from the starboard nose. The seat was sprung loaded and would fold up when weight was removed from it. Additionally the Nav's table would fold down once you kicked the legs away.

The reason for all this was to clear the area around the escape hatch that was mounted in the floor of the forward nose.

Given the above I can see no reason why a Coastal Comand aircraft should differ in this respect from a Bomber Command aircraft.

• Like 2

Just over a year ago I built a Halifax BIII for a RAFA friend who was a wartime Nav, as a result we had several discussions about Halibags and about his role and the Nav Station in the aircraft. This lead me to discover that the Revell kit is wrong in providing a discrete seat for the Navigator.

On the Halibag the Nav and Bomb Aimer shared a folding bench seat that folded down from the starboard nose. The seat was sprung loaded and would fold up when weight was removed from it. Additionally the Nav's table would fold down once you kicked the legs away.

The reason for all this was to clear the area around the escape hatch that was mounted in the floor of the forward nose.

Given the above I can see no reason why a Coastal Comand aircraft should differ in this respect from a Bomber Command aircraft.

Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation - the bench is really nicely done so I'm glad I can use it!

I just ordered the AML "improvement " set for the Revell Halifax from Hannants, however it only seems to offer the three bladed props, not the four bladed ones you'll need but it does provide replacement engine fronts amongst other bits.

Hi, thanks for all the interest all - hope she can live up to it!

Finally managed to crack on properly with the cockpit areas, overall pretty happy with the results - especially as its the first cockpit I've ever done.

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

The wash is a bit heavy on this one - may tone it down a smidge...

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Edited by Ad2408
  • Like 9

Progress has somewhat stalled on this due to:

1) being away with work for most of this week but mainly...

2) I am really struggling to find the correction/update set from Aeroclub (as they have the correct props) so if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Have PMd John Aero direct - just waiting for a reply.

Edited by Ad2408

Great progress on your model Halibag,....it is coming on really well,.....and WOW,......Cee`s, I didn`t realise that you had a 1/1 scale Halibag cockpit,...just WOW! Is it from a particular aircraft or have you built it up from parts?

I think that John said that he might be away for a month over Christmas,...so maybe he is still away?

Cheers

Tony