Vickers Valiant B Mk2 WJ954

mikestow

I mentioned a while ago,as others have done,that a decent Conversion Kit to modify the then new Airfix Valiant kit,would be greatly appreciated.I dont know how long the Airfix Valiant will be readily available??

However some one out there DID produce some excellent resin?? moulded booms with nice undercarriage bay details.Was I imagining things when it was suggested by others that such a nice conversion set could and would be produced on the market??

When I bought the excellent Freightdog Swift Conversion sets,I emailed Colin regarding the possibility of doing a Black Bomber Valiant B2,but no response was forthcoming.The trouble is the longer time goes on ,the immediate interest following the release of the great Airfix Valiant Bmk1,wains and interest in the Mk2 will die>??I did a poor conversion on a Mach 2 kit by comparison to the superb one I refer to above,but am loathe to bin it,or buy another Airfix kit,if no proper conversion set will come out??

How many others out there would be interested like myself??

Just found the original thread for the "Black Bomber",and of course it was Greg Phillips's magnificent conversion in resin,that I had remembered.It was said way back in June last year that it may be too late then,as prices for the Airfix were increasing.I have just inquired of Ebay,and a few are available stil!?Maybe another tug at Colin of Freightdog may provoke a response,but time is against such a lovely idea,I feel?????????????????????My B2 efforts were recorded in the previous,so very anxious to build a much better one!

Hello,

I'm interested in a resin conversion, too. Having both the Airfix Vailiant and AIM's Valiant B.2 vacform, I haven't found time yet to study the possibility of cross-kitting the two, taking the main landing gear and nacelles from the AIM vacform.

After getting Modelsvit's Tu-22 I'm playing with the idea using their main gear nacelles as a pattern and modify them to fit the B.2 and using AIM's main landing gear. Had anyone similar thoughts?

Regards,

Martin

I've just spoken with Neil Gaunt and he has sent me these CAD images of the component parts for a B.2 conversion he has been planning.

If there are enough interested parties I'm sure he would look at producing a conversion set.

B2%20pods.png ​ B2%20fuselage%20insert.png

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker
  • Like 5

This is really the sort of thing Kickstarter was made for. Always a surprise that more conversion sets aren't sold that way, but perhaps in the next decade we'll see more of it.

I've just spoken with Neail gaunt and he has sent me these CAD images of the component parts for a B.2 conversion he has been planning.

If there are enough interested parties I'm sure he would look at producing a conversion set.

B2%20pods.png ​ B2%20fuselage%20insert.png

XVTonker

This is really the sort of thing Kickstarter was made for. Always a surprise that more conversion sets aren't sold that way, but perhaps in the next decade we'll see more of it.

Good idea. Maybe if Airfix was willing to collaborate with conversion manufacturers, it would be a win-win for both. And Kickstarter would be a great way to vote for things that would sell...which takes away some of the risk, particularly for the smaller aftermarket manufacturers.
  • Like 1

Hello again All!!

Many thanks for all your interest in this subject,which has generated an actual product being manufactured to convert the Airfix Kit into the Vickers Valiant B2 Black Bomber!!Also We all owe a debt of gratitude to Neil Gaunt of AIM who has undertaken to fill this great gap in the Kit Market.

It is indeed a fact that Neil will be releasing this to be sold through Hannants in the near future.XVTonker and I have contacted him direct to try to resurrect his interest,so another thanks must go to XV Tonker for his added support in generating enough wish lists of you all to get this marvellous conversion off the ground,so that Neil will be able to sell enough to make it worth while.

Congratulations to one and all,and many thanks again to Neil Gaunt.

• Like 1

Simply put, yes..

XVtonker

+1 for me - any indication of when the kit will be available?

Howard Mason

Neil is finalising the design, and making some improvements e.g. undercarriage bay details and has said that it should be available within a few weeks.

XVTonker

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest update from Neil Gaunt on the Valiant B.2 conversion, posted on ARC Forum;

Valiant B2 update set

As there is such interest in the Valiant B2 conversion set for the Airfix kit which AIM is producing, here is the current situation.

As background, I was working on this project in 2012, but my wife's illness and her death in 2013 caused me to stop work on the project. It was only when considerable interest was shown that a friend persuaded me to start work on it again.

One benefit of the recent interest is that several additional photographs have appeared and so better information is available. The design is being revised to add these details:
- New spoke type main wheels with brake unit detail.
- Retraction linkage for the main gear doors.
- Internal detail for the main gear wells.
- Revised jet pipe fairings.

As soon as these changes are complete I will get the masters produced using stereo lithography.

I am not going to estimate price or delivery, but it is progressing well.​

XVTonker

• Like 1

That makes me very happy ^_^ I started working on a B.2 master just after the B.1 kit landed, but as usual with these things, I got bogged down with other things, so it never came to fruition. I got the fuselage plug done, which is quite like the one Neil is planning, and I was just starting on the nacelles. You can definitely put me down for one of these. One of those "should have been" projects that might well have given the Valiant a much longer service life due to the tougher main spar, as well as making it look a damn sight cooler :)