Despatch delays

This is going out in several formats - but whilst we and all the stock is safe and dry at the top of a hill, every route off our hill and crucially towards all post offices is deep under flood water (too deep for my Ford Ranger pickup truck - the fences at either side of the roads are completely submerged), so we are unable to despatch anything today. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to be able to resume normal service on Monday when the post offices should hopefully open again.

I'm about to turn 35 years old and have lived in this area for most of my life. I have *never* seen flooding on this scale in NE Scotland before!

• Like 1

I don't know if you remember Stew, but on the way up to mine we went through Methlick and over a bridge then turned onto a long straight road past some houses and pasture with llamas, sheep, highland cows etc...

This is that road as of this morning (photos courtesy of my pal who lives on the corner):

FB_IMG_1452253518893_zpsdhocdbwv.jpg

FB_IMG_1452253501892_zpsethnd51e.jpg

I had long grass stuck in the grille of that pickup truck of mine going along that road to my friend's at 10pm last night to rescue his TVRs to high ground. It was "only" around 3ft deep then, but peaked at around 6ft deep around 3am. I went home at midnight. It took me 30mins to do the 5 miles home in heavy snow and I went the other way. That arrives in that tiny hamlet at the bottom of the steep hills with double S-bends at the bottom of the hill from our place and it was completely submerged. I could see the bridge parapets sticking about the water but had to try to estimate where the road was from memory. There's no way out now - that's the way south described. North is similar about a mile up the road. East gets me about 2 miles before the road dips into a low bridge which is submerged and west is the same story.

• Like 1

Crickey! I know that area as well and your pictures are :analintruder::gobsmacked: , but not in the good sense.

Just stay dry(ish) and safe and wait for normality to return.

Christian, exiled to africa

That's looking pretty rough mate - I saw the picture of the bus partially submerged at Methlick in this BBC article... my folks have got no water at present, the pump-room at the farm got flooded and shorted out the electrics but at least the house is high enough not to be in any danger.

Hopefully it will stay dry for the next few days, as my folks have been looking after Jack for me and I was planning to pick the wee fellow up today - if it stays dry and the trains and buses are running tomorrow I can pick him up then.

Cheers,

Stew

This one?

_87569270_img_1591.jpg

That's the very same road! You can just make out the bus from the photos above taken from the other direction. It was nowhere near as deep as that at 10pm, but enough to have me thinking I may be in trouble with the pickup. 90 minutes later the water had visibly risen. The bus driver was mad to try that.

That's the one! I saw that and thought "Well I won't be visiting today..."

It's actually been quite sunny in Dundee today, made a nice change after what seemed like about a week and a half's worth of non-stop rain :raincloud:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I hope the well at your folks is restored soon. The NHS are now recommending that well users assume the wells are contaminated if they flooded and are telling people to drink bottled water. Gill went to check our well and we think it was ok. Might be worth mentioning to your folks though since theirs shorted out?

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie, they've got bottled water for now, but I believe that it was the electrics in the pump that shorted out when the pump-room flooded and that the well itself is not affected - I'll mention it to them just in case though.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Glad to know you (at least) are OK. It does look pretty grim on the TV. Here the Trent is right to the bank tops the posh new housing estate may revert to a lake later...

Where's the estate Sleeper? Silly sod's haven't built anywhere near the old Willington power station have they?

• Like 1

Where's the estate Sleeper? Silly sod's haven't built anywhere near the old Willington power station have they?

Yep. They sure have. But the one I meant is at Shardelow. They were very lucky indeed had water rising out of the ground but it stopped just short of the buildings, very fortunate. Not sure about Willington I used to go past on the A50 every day and building stopped due to flooding a couple of times. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

Glad to hear that everything seems to be settling down North of the Border. It must be a genetic thing with bus drivers and floods I've had to recover more flooded buses over the years than you'd believe, the engine damage is usually terminal.

• Like 1

Yep. They sure have. But the one I meant is at Shardlow. They were very lucky indeed had water rising out of the ground but it stopped just short of the buildings, very fortunate. Not sure about Willington I used to go past on the A50 every day and building stopped due to flooding a couple of times. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

Glad to hear that everything seems to be settling down North of the Border. It must be a genetic thing with bus drivers and floods I've had to recover more flooded buses over the years than you'd believe, the engine damage is usually terminal.

How did the Crewe and Harpur do? Garden under about three feet of water?

also the John Thompson at Ingleby by Foremark, mind you their just a little bit higher.

Paul