Anyone know what this is?

Badder

Hi, I was given 12 jars of this stuff for xmas by my Japanese sister-in-law. She said it was specifically made for painting dioramas. Reading the label, the best translation she could give was that it is called 'Grit Paint'.

That's as much as I know. The stuff has the texture of paste and comes in a range if colours and grades of grittiness to simulate sand, through earth, mud, rust, moss, snow, stone, concrete, soot and tarmac.

Any further translation of the label, or additional info would be greatly appreciated, specifically the manufacturer's name.

DSC00087_zpsvalg3n9j.jpg

Thanks. Badder

Edited by Badder

Good luck.

According to Google translate it says:

"Can be easily used without any clear the Te~ya no various texture without any two-color type scan Middelfart, etc. various unpleasant smell of Zara with subtle two-color".

HTH

• Like 2

It sounds like a commercial version of 'groundwork'.

I make my own with fine sand, PVA glue, acrylic paint and water.

Its used simply by spreading the mixture on the ground parts of your diorama. Obviously the different colours for various ground. Its probably thinnable with water. Thin it and paint it on with an old or cheap paintbrush or use a spatula if its thick

When its dry it can be covered in scatter, or static grass, left bare - what ever suits your job.

• Like 1

It sounds like texture paint/paste to me. Apply to a surface (with an old brush or spatula, don't use your best Kolinsky sables for this stuff) and let it dry, then paint and drybrush over the top, simples.

Probably similar to this:

http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-washes-etc/vallejo-paints/water-and-stone-effects/sandy-paste?d=22&gclid=CMrB7eHvmcoCFSsKwwodFhYBJA

or this:

http://migproductions.com/2013/01/introducing-new-mud-family-just-mud/

I have used the Mig Mud and can confirm that it is very easy to use and also effective.

• Like 1

And unpleasant smell of Zara............It wont matter though, its Camo paint and when it dries you can't see it.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Its probably thinnable with water.

Seconded. The very first Kanji character top left says "Water"

The main title is "Grain Paint" (literally, transscribed English, it reads "GuReINPeINTo" (Each capital letter in my transscript representing a new katakana character.)

The line below that says "It is textured" (zaratukinoaru)

Can't read the next line, a clearer picture would help.

On the white band the katakana starting with the third character says "Asphalt"

I do find "IYaNa" in there (first three characters of the last line), which google translates as "unpleasant", however it's writen in two different scripts, so probably is not one concept/word.

Edited by Hotel Papa
  • Like 3

Seconded. The very first Kanji character top left says "Water"

The main title is "Grain Paint" (literally, transscribed English, it reads "GuReINPeINTo" (Each capital letter in my transscript representing a new katakana character.)

The line below that says "It is textured" (zaratukinoaru)

Can't read the next line, a clearer picture would help.

On the white band the katakana starting with the third character says "Asphalt"

I do find "IYaNa" in there (first three characters of the last line), which google translates as "unpleasant", however it's writen in two different scripts, so probably is not one concept/word.

Thanks... of course, I could ask my Japanese sister in law AGAIN, but I don't want to trouble her cos the time-difference is a problem!

Ha! Image Googling 'Grain Paint Japan' turned up this:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tuzukiya/item/t88-0100/

Googling Turner Grain Paint turns up some sources, they mostly seem to be discontinued, however.

Here's the manufacturer:

http://www.turner.co.jp/

Edited by Hotel Papa