From the shelf of doom - Tamiya F-4J Phantom

Greg B

Currently in progress after being rescued from the shelf of doom is a Tamiya F-4J. I bought the kit in around 2001 and it has been around a bit, started in Germany, then to Africa, then Borneo, back to Germany and now down under. The Black Box (now Avionix) pit was originally painted with enamels, but I was not happy with the finish, so it has been stripped back down and restarted using Gunze and oils. Currently I am finishing off some detailing work on it before it receives a gloss coat, a detail wash and then matt coat to complete.

The intention is to finish it as either an F-4J or F-4S in one of the Heater-Ferris schemes.

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%208%20of%2019_zpsesasklc

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%204%20of%2019_zpsyje8wji

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%2013%20of%2019_zpsoogd88

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%2019%20of%2019_zpsainotp

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%207%20of%2019_zpshuvsyyj

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%2017%20of%2019_zpsbep4le

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%2014%20of%2019_zpsdqb6pf

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%205%20of%2019_zpsxdbm4g5

Tamiya%20F-4J-S%203%20of%2019_zpskbx6xas

• Like 10

That's looking rather nice, what paint did you use for the 'fishbowl' and the zinc chromate primer?

The radar scope is a holographic sequin that had a disc cut out using a punch and die. It was then placed in the cavity and some crystal glass from Mig dropped into it. I will tone it down with a bit of clear orange later. The zinc chromate is Gunze H27 on top of silver chipping from a prisma colour pencil.

• 3 months later...

Slow progress, but thats the name of the game with a busy job, commute and nearly four year old competing for time!

There is a minor fit issue with the cockpit in that the back seaters left hand console extended out a bit past the sill edge. Hence the yellow filler.

The jet pipes are the Eduard set and they are very nice, however the etched brass burner rings will not fit unless you remove resin. It would be easier for eduard to redo the brass masters I think.

Painted with Alclads and heavily weathered as per ref pictures from the Danny Coreman book. They are definitely not shiny metal!

Phantom-12_zps0qskvrdj.jpg

Phantom-11_zpshvnsvtxv.jpg

Phantom-10_zpsodfqub0s.jpg

Phantom-9_zpsmt2xsfre.jpg

Phantom-8_zpshcdobye0.jpg

Phantom-7_zpsntohrtd5.jpg

Phantom-6_zpsyw1ba2j5.jpg

Phantom-5_zpsku6obecu.jpg

Phantom-4_zps3xaxgjhn.jpg

Phantom-3_zps2afsbsj6.jpg

Phantom-2_zpskiv0j4h6.jpg

Phantom-1_zpsq8lylt1f.jpg

• Like 4

A big scale Phantom with a very well painted Black Box cockpit (those seats look like real leather!), I think I am going to need a bib as it's all very drool-worthy.

Slow progress is worth it when the progress is this good. Thanks for taking time out of the hectic schedule to show us what you've been up to.

• 4 years later...

Its still hanging in there in the space between the shelf of doom and the bench!

I've got the resin outer wings on and slat actuator housings. However, recently I've been working on the tail natural metal areas.

I thought I would try something different to try and capture the "stripey" finish of the tail areas that you see on the real thing. Alclad grey micro primer followed by various Alclad metallic, hot metal shades and clear acrylics. Lots of masking and then over spraying in order to "preshade" so that it matches images I've found online. The pictures show the chronological process.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1