1/72 Revell Tornado "I'm with stupid"

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice build, I love the idea of the comedy Navigator! I guess it shows that they know there is always going to be someone photographing them in the Mach loop.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

Fantastic model, this is almost exactly what I am trying to achieve with my build so I hope you can help with some advice -

Rather rashly I have agreed to build a desk model for my Flt Cdr. She made a comment last weekend that no one does desk models anymore! And yes I bit, I have only been there in my new job for two months but I guess she may have overheard me talking about modelling recently and gave it a punt.

Basically she would like a model of a 617Sqn Tornado GR Mk. 4, wheels up wings swept for her desk at work as she has worked with 617 in the past on a previous tour at Lossie.

So I agreed to look into it for her and after a few minutes research realised that Revell had recently released a 1:48 example (good the eyesight will cope with that). Then after a little more research realised that there had been a rumpus on its release over a missing clear part so was careful to order one off evilbay that proudly announced "includes missing sprue".

Well it arrived today in a lovely large box complete with extra clear sprue! Great start, so after tea I had an excited delve through the box contents. Now bearing in mind the model is going to be in flying mode, u/c up flaps and airbrakes in, with no wheel well detail, there needed to be one set of very important parts - you've guessed it - crew figures. Well there aren't any. Yikes I know we are using drones now but I don't think she'll buy the "no crew" RAF Tornado version. Com'on Revell youngsters build these models too and as one I always used to like putting the aircrew in, especially in flying mode on the ceiling. So can anyone help? (my brother has just emailed me and told me he has a couple of RAF Harrier pilots going spare so this problem is solved). Also the instructions painting section seems to indicate a 50/50 mix of a couple of Revell colours, no way surely there is a name for the medium grey that Tonkas are painted all over now days. Hopefully the colour is pretty close to a Tamiya or Humbrol colour, so can you help with painting advice please (what colour did you use). Bearing in mind I am trying to keep this build as quick and as simple as possible, I really don't want to be mixing paints if it can be avoided.

Cheers

Ian

• 7 years later...

Great idea

I remember that some time ago there was a wave of funny  inscriptions on T-shirts and one of the funnyest was  "I'm with Stupid" with an arrow pointed to one side ...
Sincerely I found this photo was  some sort of "fake".
SouthViper 

6 hours ago, Cklasse said:

Can anyone point me to more information of this “with stupid” tornado? I would like to build one but unable to get any decent pictures of the plane markings.

Thank You.

Assuming (which I know is dangerous!)  that they didn't change the tail number of the 'I'm with stupid' jet, then it was ZD790 '099' - as this was the tail number the jet carried in the picture in the Mach Loop. Pics of ZD790 here;

https://www.targeta.co.uk/pages/111_1730w5.htm

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/212693/M/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-GR1/ZD790/

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/79896/M/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-GR4/ZD790/

Mach Loop with 'stupid' sign;

article-1289185-0A2CE0AB000005DC-446_634

_48170611_tornado_stupid_pin_466.jpg

Unfortunately as you can't see the serial of the jet in the Mach Loop, it is an assumption it's ZD790

HTH

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1