How to convert tyre sizes

Gajman

Hello,

I am wanting to scratchbuild a Husky mine clearing vehicle. I have found numerous specs for it but am struggling with the tyre size.

I know how to convert the format like 450/80 R20 for example.

But all I can find for some vehicles (the Husky included) are of the format 16.00R20 or 18.00R25. I'm assuming that there must be a standard format to this and am hoping that one of you could help me be able to convert it to something that will be useful for making a scratchbuilt part.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Gary

Head for some tyre(tire) manufacturers websites & look for tyres specs, often in pdf form, they will give such things as diam, recommended rim width etc. Those latter two sizes you quote are imperial & I'm not sure if the 16 & 18 are a straight side wall height in inches.

Steve

• Like 1

Based on my knowledge of car tyres on my Austins; the 16 and 18 are the steel wheel diameters. Without a ratio number the side wall is 100% of the width of the steel wheel.

In one of my A7 case; it takes a 17.00, the steel wheel is 4.25 inch wide thus I need a 4.25/100 x 17 , actually I can fit from 4 to 4.5 inch. [4.25/90 to 4.25/110 approx] The steel wheel width is not mentioned as my 18, 19 and 21 inch wheels are all 4.25 wide.

So in your case you need to find out the width of the steel wheel first.

• Like 1