De Havilland Venom FB1 and FB4 Cockpit

Harry Lime

Afternoon All,

I recently acquired the Aeroclub 1/72 De Havilland Venom FB1 and FB4 kits with the intention of building them as RAF machines from 249 (FB1) and 28 (FB4) Sqdns. I'm looking to see if anyone has some decent cockpit interior images so I can add some detail to the cockpit interiors? Anything you can provide me with would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

A quick Google Image Search produced a number of color cockpit photos. You may need to scroll around a bit to sort out the single seaters from the Twin seaters.

Don,

Thanks for your efforts but I should probably have mentioned in my original post that Google has been more of a hinderance than a help. Not being overly familiar with the type, I'm not aware of the differences, if any, between the RAF operated Venoms and the foreign operated ones. I'm therefore looking for specific images of the RAF FB1 and FB4 cockpits.

Regards,

Mark.

Don,

Thanks for your efforts but I should probably have mentioned in my original post that Google has been more of a hinderance than a help. Not being overly familiar with the type, I'm not aware of the differences, if any, between the RAF operated Venoms and the foreign operated ones. I'm therefore looking for specific images of the RAF FB1 and FB4 cockpits.

Regards,

Mark.

With single seat venoms there probably would not be any differences. Changes are made for different radar or electronic fits and the Venom single seaters didnt have any electronics as such. some may have had a radio compass but that would be just a single panel, hardly noticable in1/72. The seats were standard, as at the time there was nobody except MB fitting seats to UK aircraft.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Don,

Regards,

Mark.

Mind you Mark, you'd be hard pushed to tell variants apart in 1/72 through a tiny canopy with everything inside more or less black.

Nige B

• Like 2

With single seat venoms there probably would not be any differences. Changes are made for different radar or electronic fits and the Venom single seaters didnt have any electronics as such. some may have had a radio compass but that would be just a single panel, hardly noticable in1/72. The seats were standard, as at the time there was nobody except MB fitting seats to UK aircraft.

Selwyn

That would certainly make sense. The Aeroclub kits come with a rather nice MB seat each, I just want to add a bit more detail to the rest of the cockpit to set them off nicely.

Mind you Mark, you'd be hard pushed to tell variants apart in 1/72 through a tiny canopy with everything inside more or less black.

Nige B

But, as is so often said in this hobby, I'll know it's in there!!

Coming at this from a slightly different angle, would there be much, if any, difference between a Venom a Vampire cockpit I wonder? Could I use the Vampire refs I have as the basis for the Venom since they share so much genealogy?

Mark.

A google image search resulted in a number of pictures from an FB.4 that were originally in a thread on this same forum. They can't be seen anymore in the thread but can be seen through google. Check the first few on this page

https://www.google.it/search?q=venom+fb+cockpit&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv64bx55nKAhWHpnIKHWKRAdYQsAQIIg&biw=1366&bih=631#imgrc=_

• Like 1

Have a look at the Vampire FB 5/9 pilots notes here:

http://www.rafjever.org/vamp5pictures.htm

Scroll down to part V and there are descriptive images of all the control panels. You cant get more accurate than the Air publications! This was very similar to the venom. I think you can buy venom pilots notes somewhere but i cant find a link.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Were the ejection seats in the Venom FB.1 Martin-Baker units? I'm currently plugging away at the Classic Airframes kit. My current plan is to paint the seat frame Black (Humbrol Coal Black) the seat pads in what amounts to Dark Earth (FS30118) and the belts Khaki. Am I on the right track?

Were the ejection seats in the Venom FB.1 Martin-Baker units? I'm currently plugging away at the Classic Airframes kit. My current plan is to paint the seat frame Black (Humbrol Coal Black) the seat pads in what amounts to Dark Earth (FS30118) and the belts Khaki. Am I on the right track?

According to David Watkins ('Venom The Complete History') both single seaters had Martin Baker seats, the 1F in the FB1 and the 2F in the FB4. I think you are close with the colours but would the belts have been blue maybe?

Nige B