Monogram 1/48 Pro-Modeler Heinkel He 111H-22 With V1 Rocket

Hello Chaps,

I'm back to share with you my final build of 2015, that I completed the morning of New Years Eve. This was a gift from a fellow YouTube modeler, who sent it to me because he knew that I was enjoying building Luftwaffe aircraft during the last 8 months, but hadn't yet built a bomber, and that the Heinkel He 111 was a plane that I really wanted to get my hands on.

This is a discontinued kit from 1994, but has been re-released under the Revell banner. For a 22 yr old kit, it has some reasonable details, including recessed panel lines on the exterior surfaces and three figures: a officer, pilot and bombardier/front gunner.. I did have a couple of fit issues though: one of the wing root to fuselage joints had a gap of around 1.0mm that I had to fill, and, the profile of the greenhouse canopy was wider than the profile of the fuselage body on both sides. I therefore had to carefully file the clear part down without damaging the window areas.

Also, the original decal sheet was yellowed and the moment I put decals into water, they disintegrated. My friend who sent me the kit had suspected this might happen, so he included a more up to date set of decals, although they had markings for two H-6 version Heinkel's that carried two torpedoes and also didn't have the fully enclosed dorsal gun turret, but the open style with the windshield facing forward to protect the gunner from airflow.

This newer decal sheet didn't include decals for the V1 rocket, of which there were 24 stencils intended to go onto the rocket on the original sheet.

I therefore decided that this was going to be a non-existent, what if, fun build. I mixed some of the fuselage side markings from the decal sheet to spell 1H+AM, which was associated to a Junkers Ju 88 and which I thought appropriate at the time of building, as it was Christmas, and most people like a good Spiral Ham! With this being a large model at 1/48 scale, I thought that the two tone splinter camo was just too much green, and therefore broke the monotony of it up with a white tail band, which would have indicated that it operated in North Africa....again...accuracy isn't playing into this build...it's just for fun at this point in time.

I have to say though, it was a good kit besides the outlined issues and I had a lot of fun building it!

Enough waffling and onto the photos, I hope you like them :thumbsup2:

IMG_3838_zpslavfizgc.jpg

IMG_3841_zps7cb0xo3g.jpg

IMG_4191_zpsugastzvr.jpg

IMG_4192_zpsonfqt3gs.jpg

IMG_4216_zpsjlibzj0c.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsuwed0m22.jpg

IMG_4236_zpsej8dcw9a.jpg

IMG_4238_zpsezlzdu9k.jpg

IMG_4248_zpsserqcevo.jpg

IMG_4267_zpsck7r2eaa.jpg

IMG_4283_zpszvevibln.jpg

IMG_4287_zpsgscitclj.jpg

IMG_4289_zpsrwjksand.jpg

IMG_4297_zpsmemi1gfb.jpg

IMG_4307_zps6b8g6iyz.jpg

IMG_4316_zpszps0rnnx.jpg

IMG_4325_zpsseib8ve0.jpg

IMG_4340_zpsrrprbduy.jpg

IMG_4344_zpsgkhzjeup.jpg

IMG_4349_zpsapuzg7ep.jpg

IMG_4359_zpsqs79ifmv.jpg

IMG_4362_zps5jvsnh0f.jpg

IMG_4365_zpsjjczbdiu.jpg

IMG_4388_zpsodlz0u9t.jpg

IMG_4393_zpsgaqfffnb.jpg

IMG_4426_zpsywdgrqfh.jpg

IMG_4433_zpsbiuclcv2.jpg

IMG_4450_zpsorsivtmj.jpg

IMG_4453_zpstxcgt2o1.jpg

IMG_4465_zpsmvq9pjpg.jpg

IMG_4474_zps5hcrplbz.jpg

IMG_4475_zpsdxne7ov2.jpg

IMG_4476_zpsdryuclke.jpg

Well there she is, I hope you like her as much as I enjoyed building her.

Again, just like my Fw 190F-8 build, I haven't had the time to post my build on here, but I do have a introduction to the build video and 4 "Build Update" videos on my YouTube Channel, along with my "Final Reveal" video that are available to watch, should you be interested in all the stages from start until end of this build.

Here are the links for the 5 videos associated to this build:

Introduction Video Link- https://youtu.be/BRDvVv0aAS8

Build Update #1 Video Link- https://youtu.be/VCvq7-FxUxU

Build Update #2 Video Link- https://youtu.be/wolvHNA4rZQ

Build Update #3 Video Link- https://youtu.be/WPJQIszbQIs

Build Update #4 Video Link- https://youtu.be/gSrM2QytLYc

Final Reveal Video Link- https://youtu.be/l2BoXSWtHcE

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this posting, for leaving comments and for watching any of the videos, should you do so, much appreciated! :thumbsup2::winkgrin:

Until my next build thread begins, happy modeling, have fun and Happy New Year!

Cheers :drink::drink:

Martin

• Like 38

Very nice build and subscribed to the channel. I built one of these many moons ago and it got to the point where it was ready for paint. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what happened to it.

• Like 1

That's a magnificent build, with a great finish. The cockpit is superb, as is the painting of the figures. The pilot (?), standing with his briefcase in hand, looks like he's smiling for a camera. I wouldn't be smiling with that volatile package underneath my seat…

A minor busybody observation: the V1 isn't technically a 'rocket'. It's a flying bomb, propelled by an air-breathing ramjet engine.

Impressive work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Phenomenal, is the only word I can think of that someone else hasn't already used. Nice work indeed!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - a very nice result. I like the look of the leather cushion and the weathering. :goodjob:

Thanks Caer, greatly appreciated! :D

Excellent build and like my JU88 It's nice to see it has a crew :thumbsup:

Thanks Triumph, greatly appreciated, and yes, it was cool that it came with 3 figures! With the officer standing beside the model, it gives a better idea of the scale of this aircraft.

Cheers :D

Very nice build and subscribed to the channel. I built one of these many moons ago and it got to the point where it was ready for paint. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember what happened to it.

Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated! Thanks for subscribing to my channel! What is your YouTube Channel name, I'll subscribe back if you use it for posting modeling videos?

Pity you lost your He 111....I've been wanting to build one since I began modeling in 2014...I just started a 1/32 Ju 88A-1 Bomber today!

Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated! Thanks for subscribing to my channel! What is your YouTube Channel name, I'll subscribe back if you use it for posting modeling videos?

Pity you lost your He 111....I've been wanting to build one since I began modeling in 2014...I just started a 1/32 Ju 88A-1 Bomber today!

I don't have a channel unfortunately. I just watched them.