1/48 - Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 & Type 28 by ICM - Type 24 & 28 released - A-Resin detailing set

Homebee

This is great news. It's an important aircraft and it is about time there was an accurate, well-detailed 1:48 kit. Sadly all previous attempts have been lacking.

Hopefully ICM can be the first to get it right.

Cheers

Interesting! The CAD images suggest that a type 28 will also be offered - the images show the long barrels of the 20mm ShVAK wing cannons. It also appears that the 1/48 kit will, in some ways, be an enlarged version of the existing 1/72 kit in terms of parts breakdown, assuming the images really represent the 1/48 kit accurately.

Good luck on the types 5 and 29 - there are significant differences, especially regarding the wings and cowlings, between these and the type 24, but you probably already knew that - I mention it just to emphasize that it's more than just a different set of decals. Regardless, we True Believers of the 1/72 Faith have been wanting good kits of the types 5 and 29 for ages, with no sign of them...

Useful reference regarding distinctions among "types":

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Polikarpov/I-16/Kit_Comparison/

John

• Like 3

Hmmm - interesting. It appears that, in the interest of simplifying the wing assembly in comparison with their 1/72 I-16, ICM have represented a completely bogus wing root joint. This will require a bit of filling and rescribing to correct it. Compare the curved line of the kit's root in plan view with this drawing from the Armada book on the I-16:

armada_type_28_dwg.jpg

Many Russian aircraft of that era were constructed of molded wood laminate with the wing roots formed as part of the fuselage. This root section extended out to the landing gear location and ended at a joint with the outer part of the wing. In other words, the inner part of the wing was part of the fuselage so there was no need for a (for example) Spitfire-like wing root fairing. I hope this makes sense! I did see somewhere a very nice build of a 1/32-scale I-16 which was marred by the builder's insistence that there had to be a separate fairing, which he scribed quite visibly into the fuselage side...

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looking over the kit, it is very nicely moulded. I'm not sure about the overall acurracy of the kit, but would love to hear an I-16 experts view.

There's a few things I will improve, such as the way the have done the cutouts in the cowls for the exhausts and the windscreen has got to go - the shape of it (cross section) is way off, hopefully someone like Rob Tarus will do a replacement.

Looks like it will be a fun build, though the undercarriage does look fragile.

Edited by Tbolt

Tbolt,

ARK kit is still the best in 1/48 scale.

ICM has the lower exhaust cut-outs in the wing!!!! instead of the cowl (visible in the spue photo in Homebee's post above), shape of ski cut-outs is not the best and wheel wells are shallow and have wrong details. There are also questions about the shape of the windshield on scalemodels.ru forum.

Try to get the Ark boxing with Neomega interior, u/c parts and figurines.

Vedran

• Like 1

On 2017-02-12 at 11:05 AM, Tbolt said:

would love to hear an I-16 experts view.

Not an expert, but per my previous post, the wing-to-fuselage joint is wrong, like (IIRC) the Hobbycraft 1/48 I-16. How ICM got this (and other details you mentioned) wrong when they did such a mostly-reasonable job on their 1/72 I-16 is disappointing; maybe that's the difference between handmade masters by an enthusiast who knows what he's doing (Valentin Muchichko) and an employee who's just doing the nine-to-five on his CAD station and doesn't really have that much enthusiasm.

John

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Not an expert, but per my previous post, the wing-to-fuselage joint is wrong, like (IIRC) the Hobbycraft 1/48 I-16. How ICM got this (and other details you mentioned) wrong when they did such a mostly-reasonable job on their 1/72 I-16 is disappointing; maybe that's the difference between handmade masters by an enthusiast who knows what he's doing (Valentin Muchichko) and an employee who's just doing the nine-to-five on his CAD station and doesn't really have that much enthusiasm.

John

I really don't know why the molded the wing join like that - I find it hard to believe they though that was an actual panel join as it goes right through the wing to body fairing at the front of the wing. Maybe they replied to much on drawings like this, though even that doesn't cut through the forward fairing.

9cd5df6bf5ab17ed9619f3425ca9326b.jpg

8 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Tbolt,

ARK kit is still the best in 1/48 scale.

ICM has the lower exhaust cut-outs in the wing!!!! instead of the cowl (visible in the spue photo in Homebee's post above), shape of ski cut-outs is not the best and wheel wells are shallow and have wrong details. There are also questions about the shape of the windshield on scalemodels.ru forum.

Try to get the Ark boxing with Neomega interior, u/c parts and figurines.

Vedran

Yes I was hoping the ICM would be the best kit as the mouldling if very nice and if I remember some of the detail is a little heavy on the Ark kit, though it may be easier to get a descent I-16 from. Be interesting to see if ICM make the same mistakes in their 1/32nd scale kit.

Edited by Tbolt

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I really don't know why the molded the wing join like that - I find it hard to believe they though that was an actual panel join as it goes right through the wing to body fairing at the front of the wing. Maybe they replied to much on drawings like this, though even that doesn't cut through the forward fairing.

Ouch - that's a nicely-drafted, very pretty drawing, but I see other details on it (exhaust locations, wheel well shape) which don't look right. Re that curved wing root panel line or whatever it's supposed to be, I've never, ever seen anything like that, not only in many, many photos, but not even in other drawings. Here's just one photographic example:

cowling_detail_5.jpg

John

1 minute ago, John Thompson said:

Ouch - that's a nicely-drafted, very pretty drawing, but I see other details on it (exhaust locations, wheel well shape) which don't look right. Re that curved wing root panel line or whatever it's supposed to be, I've never, ever seen anything like that, not only in many, many photos, but not even in other drawings. Here's just one photographic example:

cowling_detail_5.jpg

John

Neither have I, it's always nice and smooth there, I posted that drawing because it was obviously wrong, not that I would ever trust a drawing.

44 minutes ago, Bonehammer said:

It is nice although not 100% correct, and I like the way ICM engineers their kits nowadays, unfortunately I cannot justify buying yet another late-mark I-16. Sad.

What do you mean not 100% correct? It says accurate copy right there on the box ;)

12 hours ago, Tbolt said:

What do you mean not 100% correct? It says accurate copy right there on the box ;)

Yes indeed, but of the Prototype ! :P

• 3 weeks later...