ICM 1/48 MiG-25RBT

Stephen

Some good news, although ICM is not very communicative as to the details.

It seems that the plan of ICM is to produce the MiG-25P and PD versions in the spring of next year with the RBS version arriving in the summer of 2017.

As they say I believe it when I see it. But at least there is a hope.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

Thanks Gabor.

Will be getting both.

The inlets in the ICM kit make for a slightly tricky assembly but my RBT is coming along quite well. The delicate surface detail is surviving intact so far.

Tony

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tony.t said:

Thanks Gabor.

Will be getting both.

The inlets in the ICM kit make for a slightly tricky assembly but my RBT is coming along quite well. The delicate surface detail is surviving intact so far.

Tony

Hi Tony, would love to see a work in progress of the build!

I picked mine up today, to say I'm impressed is an understatement! Lovely crisp raised and engraved surface detail. I hope I continue to be impressed with the fit and build!

Muzz

14 hours ago, general melchett said:

Be interesting to see how they deal with all the subtle differences between the P and PD....

It is a completely different aircraft! Not just a SUBTLE difference between the P and the PD versions!!!! A completely new nose will be needed for them!

Best regards

Gabor

In that case I might get all three, subject to what AMK do (if they are proceeding still)! The ICM kit lends itself easily to different noses, wings, parabrake canister etc. 

Any info on the basic aircraft finishes Gabor? I am assuming early R/RB and P machines were natural stainless steel (Russian version of Inconel) with some areas sprayed in primer and aluminium cellulose lacquer. When did the grey finish appear, and was it ever Teflon grey or just the late service grey polyurethane? 

Have the Yefim Gordon book on Soviet Cold War recce jets and am astonished at how simple the IP is - no apparent drift sight etc - which must have made navigation in a zoomy machine a real handful. Old fashioned map and stopwatch stuff at pegged speeds.

Tony 

9 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

It is a completely different aircraft! Not just a SUBTLE difference between the P and the PD versions!!!! A completely new nose will be needed for them!

My hunch is they'll do a PD/PDS and skip the P.  Unless they release the P in a separate boxing.  

If they didn't include other options in the RB(T?) kit, where the differences are much smaller, I can't imagine they'll include two noses in an interceptor boxing.  *Maybe* they'd tool the undernose fairing as a separate piece, so if you leave that off you get a P... but I get the feeling ICM actually cares about doing stuff right, and I doubt they'd be THAT lazy.  I think it's more likely that, given all the differences between the early and late interceptors, they'll just pick one.  And since the P has a short time frame with limited users (let's be honest, if you want to build a P, it's because you want to build Belenko's jet), it'll probably be the later versions.

The prototypes were different, but as far as I can see there is no plan to do any of them. They were completely different aircraft!

The production aircraft had a grey scheme. It is not the standard “Teflon” grey. For the MiG-25 a new heat resistant paint had to be developed. Even for the stars, the aircraft numbers and the stencils heat resistant paint was needed. They were not the same as the usual Soviet AF colours.

Important to note that almost from mid fuselage on the bottom the aircraft was left in stainless-steel colour which went up on the sides at the back.

For service aircraft the grey scheme is the standard and I see no problem in using that on my kit. It will be a true representation of a MiG-25 in service!

Only in later years did they have few camouflaged airframes. The foreign examples had a bit more colour but basically the same grey.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

Thanks Gabor; grey it is then, with bare metal on rear flanks and underside. The paint guide doesn't have a ventral view so mid-fuselage will have to be educated guesswork. I'm assuming the drop tank was nearly always bare metal (?) 

There is an issue with the two blisters forward of the A-70M camera pallet, which somebody on ARC says are representative of an earlier MiG-25RB, and that this needs to be changed to a single bigger blister for the 'RBT's DISS-70 Doppler radar fairing. Photos bear this out. 

Wondering whether to press ahead with a relatively minor mod or be lazy and wait for Aires, Aerobonus, Armory et al to get in on this model. Most of the ICM parts are exquisitely detailed, including the interior, so it's really just the nose and camera tray that require attention. The funny little conical attach points for the stabilators and MLG wheels is a curious piece of engineering, but not a problem. 

Great kit and, most importantly, great fun.

Tony

Yes, the extra fuel tanks were left in natural metal (aluminium) all the way through the MiG-25 service.

One thing has to be said about the ICM kit. There were many sub versions of the Foxbat as well as improvements and upgrades over the years of service. The version depicted in the kit is an exact replica of one particular aircraft, which is on show in the Zhuljani museum in Kiev. Those small parts, "strakes" for the nose underside are 100% correct! The version in the museum as well as many service examples with the earlier version of equipment in the nose. The later versions of the RBT which had the DISS system had the nose slightly modified and the “strakes” were deleted. One could consider the early and the late versions of the RBT as different, just as all the other ones. Minimal modification can result in the late version and just a bit more could give you even more versions.

The steel colour starts immediately after the main undercarriage bays. A look through some internet photos and walk arounds will show exactly where it is.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Yes, the extra fuel tanks were left in natural metal (aluminium) all the way through the MiG-25 service.

One thing has to be said about the ICM kit. There were many sub versions of the Foxbat as well as improvements and upgrades over the years of service. The version depicted in the kit is an exact replica of one particular aircraft, which is on show in the Zhuljani museum in Kiev. Those small parts, "strakes" for the nose underside are 100% correct! The version in the museum as well as many service examples with the earlier version of equipment in the nose. The later versions of the RBT which had the DISS system had the nose slightly modified and the “strakes” were deleted. One could consider the early and the late versions of the RBT as different, just as all the other ones. Minimal modification can result in the late version and just a bit more could give you even more versions.

The steel colour starts immediately after the main undercarriage bays. A look through some internet photos and walk arounds will show exactly where it is.

Best regards

Gabor

All very educational, many thanks, these exchanges are a perfect example of how a website like Britmodeller can - and should - be used to help people get the best out of a new kit!

• Like 1

WRT the steel belly, dig through the threads discussing all the problems with the KH kit.  Gabor posted a correction to their paint diagram which shows where the steel portion actually starts.  (and a lot of other really useful info)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ICMF said:

WRT the steel belly, dig through the threads discussing all the problems with the KH kit.  Gabor posted a correction to their paint diagram which shows where the steel portion actually starts.  (and a lot of other really useful info)

Well remembered! That'll be this thread.................

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950939-kitty-hawk-mig-25pdpds-detailing-corrections/#comment-1436738

Edited by Muzz
To add link
  • Like 1

Great review. Certainly looks to be a very well made kit, one I'm even thinking about getting. The detail looks very neat and sharp. The first ICM kit I bought was the Tu-144 and I was amazed at the extremely fine detailing on that one. 

As a follow on the the arrival of mine. I dismantled the outer box this morning to use as kindling for the wood burner and I have to say the I was impressed. The sides were double thickness to protect against crushing, which the French PO is very good at, so full marks to ABC Modelisme ( no I don't have shares ) and at a very good postage rate also.

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

so full marks to ABC Modelisme ( no I don't have shares ) and at a very good postage rate also.

John

MIne arrived today as well :):)

same source, same impressionm GREAT service!

going though Begemot decals at the moment o see what es could be done with this gem!! 

:)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

wondering what I have to modify if I an to do one  the planes that flew from Egypt over Sinai in 1971 and 73...

options 9 & 10

http://begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?&lang=2&id=59

http://begemotdecals.ru/doc/48-010 MiG-25.pdf

pic59b.jpg

Yefim Gordons Boog has a photo showing the same nose as provided on the kit, seems the intakes have to be modified a bit to represent the early style, shorter tip...

any additional info or pics out there? 

• Like 1

Jumped straight into the kit on Thursday evening after getting it.

Like the kit! At a glance there are some very fine details in it, like cockpit side walls, instrument panel, nice panel lines . . .

I was not sure about the engine exhaust when the first photos of the sprues came out but when you start to assemble the plastic parts. It is complex, but also very simple and straight forward! Excellent design with some unconventional ideas fitted into it. Perfect location and positioning of parts but what is far more important they all fall in place and there are virtually no seams anywhere!!!!! :yikes: If only they would have added a bit more fine detail to the exhaust petals on the outside like on the instrument panel. Still it is great, resulting in a very complex exhaust!!!

To go with the kit the fantastic Master pitots have also arrived. Brass and 3D printed antennas make a perfect combination for a superb and what is far more important an authentic pitot! :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  More on this later.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

This topic was only about the rumour of the kit. But it is released already and I have my example just as many others do. I think it is time to start a new topic in the build site on what is exactly in the kit and do some building of it too.

So I started a new topic, it is here:

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 3

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

wondering what I have to modify if I an to do one  the planes that flew from Egypt over Sinai in 1971 and 73...

options 9 & 10

http://begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?&lang=2&id=59

http://begemotdecals.ru/doc/48-010 MiG-25.pdf

Yefim Gordons Boog has a photo showing the same nose as provided on the kit, seems the intakes have to be modified a bit to represent the early style, shorter tip...

any additional info or pics out there? 

The nose in the kit is OK for those two options, but you would have to trim the upper intake part...