ICM 1/48 MiG-25RBT

Stephen

Will they have other versions or not is a good question. Fact is that ICM is not communicating at all. Yes, looking at the sprues there is a chance that other versions will follow. Obviously if you have any sense then you will design your product to incorporate possible future versions. But will you actually make those versions is another question. We have seen in the past kits which had many further subtypes possibilities in them but they were never made. Here is where business takes over from “what you want to produce”, if the first kit will not meet the predicted financial gains there is no sense in working further on the project! Apart from the income of a kit there are thousands of other reasons why projects are stopped.

It was interesting to see that people who like the Foxbat family would most likely buy the recon/bomber versions and the Wild Weasel MiG-25BM. The interceptors were of least interest!  (Well not for me but it is an individual taste)

Also interesting that on Russian markets there were already voices where people were not happy with the ICM kit simply because it came from the Ukraine. :wall: This is sad, but it can also effect sales and future prospects of a kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 1

Received mine from Hannants half an hour ago. Lovely crisp mouldings and surface detail. This kit really deserves to do well! Really looking forward to starting to build this. Well chuffed. 

If they do a PD interceptor release I'll buy that too. 

Tony

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Received mine from Hannants half an hour ago. Lovely crisp mouldings and surface detail. This kit really deserves to do well! Really looking forward to starting to build this. Well chuffed. 

If they do a PD interceptor release I'll buy that too. 

Tony

Lucky one! B)

Envy you! Please show it to us!

Best regards

Gabor

I do hope this kit does well……it deserves too since it appears to be a massive step up from the Kittyhawk kit, in terms of accuracy and buildability. The choice of variant to 'launch' the kit is curious but I for one am very happy since I have a liking for recce jets and it is infinitely more interesting than the interceptor version IMHO (although I know there will be many who disagree). I do hope they release one of the variants that sported a rather nice tactical colour scheme although if they don't I have no doubt some enterprising aftermarket company will release the necessary parts/decals to convert the kit in due course. I do like ICM kits although it is obvious that they are very cautious about releasing subsequent variants before realizing a sound return on their investment so I very much hope that politics does not get between them and further sales of what looks to be a very attractive kit and subject. I simply love that box art…….It sells the kit alone for me. Just ordered one so I'm waiting in anticipation now.  

Edited by Tiger331
typo
  • Like 3

I should add that the parts I've cut free for a dry run fit like a glove. Really superb.

Am tempted to get another in the new year if someone makes a resin RBK/F dedicated Elint nose or RBS/Sh SLAR version, for a camo example.

Tony

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Will they have other versions or not is a good question. Fact is that ICM is not communicating at all. Yes, looking at the sprues there is a chance that other versions will follow. Obviously if you have any sense then you will design your product to incorporate possible future versions. But will you actually make those versions is another question. We have seen in the past kits which had many further subtypes possibilities in them but they were never made. Here is where business takes over from “what you want to produce”, if the first kit will not meet the predicted financial gains there is no sense in working further on the project! Apart from the income of a kit there are thousands of other reasons why projects are stopped.

It was interesting to see that people who like the Foxbat family would most likely buy the recon/bomber versions and the Wild Weasel MiG-25BM. The interceptors were of least interest!  (Well not for me but it is an individual taste)

Also interesting that on Russian markets there were already voices where people were not happy with the ICM kit simply because it came from the Ukraine. :wall: This is sad, but it can also effect sales and future prospects of a kit.

Best regards

Gabor

I think you'll probably find the interceptor versions are more popular than you think.   I was hoping to have an earlier Mig 25 (before all the bits spolied the shape) but unfortunately they issued the RBT (which I'm not so keen on) first.

Another Christmas without a state of the art Mig 25 interceptor for me!

Not that I would build one (prefer the PD / PDS) but has there ever been a 1/48 model of the original interceptor (what we call the MiG-25A in western parlance)? I'm guessing the old Revell kit is the closest but I would think a good modern model of the original version would do well.

Are you referring to the first production version, the MiG-25P or the preproduction MiG-25 with the shorter fuselage, strange clipped vertical fins, wingtip fuel tanks . . .

The MiG-25P (the one with which Belenko defected) would be of interest but the prototype/preproduction would be a financial disaster for any manufacturer! For the 25P a new nose would be sufficient in comparison with the PD/PDS version. It was completely different, with absolutely different panel lines for the early radar station.

Have fingers cross that at least ICM will do one version of the interceptor!

Best regards

Gabor  

13 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I think you'll probably find the interceptor versions are more popular than you think.   I was hoping to have an earlier Mig 25 (before all the bits spolied the shape) but unfortunately they issued the RBT (which I'm not so keen on) first.
Another Christmas without a state of the art Mig 25 interceptor for me!

I much prefer the reconnaissance versions but do find it curious that ICM issued a 1/72 MiG-25PD and no recce mark - or decided the MiG-25RBT's  popularity and scarcity in the kit world merited a 1/48 scale investment. :goodjob:

There is, of course, a high probability that this kit will be marketed in at least a Revell boxing and will compete with the bells-and-whistles AMK editions when they see daylight. For now, I sincerely wish ICM every success for a deserving model.

Tony

Edited by tony.t
wrong emoji code

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Are you referring to the first production version, the MiG-25P or the preproduction MiG-25 with the shorter fuselage, strange clipped vertical fins, wingtip fuel tanks . . .

The MiG-25P (the one with which Belenko defected) would be of interest but the prototype/preproduction would be a financial disaster for any manufacturer! For the 25P a new nose would be sufficient in comparison with the PD/PDS version. It was completely different, with absolutely different panel lines for the early radar station.

Have fingers cross that at least ICM will do one version of the interceptor!

Best regards

Gabor  

I believe it is the P version yes. I meant to say the type Belenko defected in. Sounds like a possibility if someone does have a better attempt at the interceptor Foxbats.

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

but the prototype/preproduction would be a financial disaster for any manufacturer!

I could see Modelsvit or Amodel doing one in 1/72, perhaps.  It would actually be kind of cool to have a series of Soviet aero concepts/initial prototypes, but it would definitely have to be a passion project, since as you said, it wouldn't be an obvious financial choice.

5 hours ago, MiGFan79 said:

I believe it is the P version yes. I meant to say the type Belenko defected in. Sounds like a possibility if someone does have a better attempt at the interceptor Foxbats.

In that case... sort of:  Kitty Hawk's MiG-25 has parts to build a MiG-25P in the instructions.  It would not be an *accurate* MiG-25P OOB, but then, it's not an accurate PD or PDS OOB, either.

Shape-wise, the P and PD/PDS are basically the same, so it's a fairly simple conversion from a PD/PDS nose.  You would need to remove the undernose fairing, fill and re-scribe the panel lines, and tweak/alter the antennae, pitots and PVD probe.  Basically, there are a few things that need to be revised, but they're all small, simple changes.  It would make for a good first conversion project, and could actually be easier to convert than to (potentially) deal with an ill-fitting resin replacement.

4 minutes ago, ICMF said:

Basically, there are a few things that need to be revised, but they're all small, simple changes. 

and a few more things, the most important of which are a completely different wingtip antiflutter balance weights, a new brake parachute cover, different nose gear door covers, there were some different main gear door covers too, a different instrument panel, early KM-1 ejection seat . . .

I hope ICM will do an interceptor version at some point in the future. As to which version we will see. Yes, if they do say a PD then it will be with in normal modelling skills to make out of it a P version. As to building an interceptor out of the Chinese kit I would not give it even a thought. I sold it as soon as I has a chance and was fortunate that someone wanted to buy it. Lost some money on it, but got rid of it so I was happy.

Best regards

Gabor

If you're using the KH kit, aren't the different wingtips and brake chute cover included, though?  Assuming one is happy enough with the KH kit in the first place.

To go full-on armchair-modeller for a minute, if you *really* wanted a P right now, your best bet would probably be to kitbash the ICM and KH kits:

• Use ICM for the majority of the basic airframe.  
  • Use KH's brake chute, wings and wingtips.  (IIRC, KH's wings aren't terrible);
  • or else merge KH's wingtip extensions onto the ICM kit.  
  • Cut the intake tops off the KH kit and merge them with the rest of ICM's intakes.  
  • Cockpit...  you're probably on your own.  
  • Use Barracuda's exhausts for the interceptor.  
  • And probably ColdWarStudio's forward fuselage correction, which will have to be backdated to a P (remove fairing, fill & rescribe panel lines, etc.);
  • you could also use Barracuda's nose correction, but I suspect it would take more work to merge with the ICM forward fuselage.

It wouldn't be a simple project - it would be a lot easier if you're satisfied with the KH kit - and it comes with the massive caveat of assuming the KH and ICM parts will work together (which is a huge assumption), but it should look pretty decent and would be easier than trying to correct the ancient Revell kit.

Or else, just wait and hope that ICM release an interceptor. :(

26 minutes ago, ICMF said:

Assuming one is happy enough with the KH kit in the first place.

In no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of thing to do (different kits) so I for one will waite and see if ICM will do an interceptor version in the future.

If not, then there will be still plenty of time to consider the possibilities for the MiG-25P or PD/PDS!

For the moment here is the recce/bomber version to deal with! So . . .

Best regards

Gabor

I am tempted to build the KH one. It's in the stash, I know it's not a great kit but I feel like giving it a go just to see if I can make something presentable out of it. I know Trumpeter's SU-15 is supposed to be a pile of crap but I enjoyed building it and once painted I'll have a nice big soviet interceptor for the shelf.

The Trumpy Su-15s aren't that bad with some correction as the kit parts fit quite well and there are lots of AM goodies for it (Aries ogival radome and scoops, Master probe, Northstar hot end and wheels with separate hubs, first generation Eduard etc etc). OTOH the KH Foxbat is both inaccurate and poor-fitting, so not such fun and at £60 quite an expensive kit to chop. 

Has the AMK Foxbat series been scrubbed then? Surely ICM and AMK, between them, will produce at least one interceptor variant?

Tony

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

The Trumpy Su-15s aren't that bad with some correction as the kit parts fit quite well and there are lots of AM goodies for it (Aries ogival radome and scoops, Master probe, Northstar hot end and wheels with separate hubs, first generation Eduard etc etc). OTOH the KH Foxbat is both inaccurate and poor-fitting, so not such fun and at £60 quite an expensive kit to chop. 

Has the AMK Foxbat series been scrubbed then? Surely ICM and AMK, between them, will produce at least one interceptor variant?

Tony

AMK still plan to release the Foxbat, I believe that that are concentrating their efforts on delivering  F-14's first. I'm sure Martin can provide an accurate update.

8 hours ago, tony.t said:

The Trumpy Su-15s aren't that bad with some correction

I believe that there are bugs that aren't easily fixable:

- I think I've heard that the fuselage cross-sections aren't "pentagonal": the sides aren't angled but parallel

- the outter wings leading edges of the TM aren't cambered

59 minutes ago, Dr Evil said:

Agreed, in fact moulding looks nicer than I expected, so nice I just managed to order another.....

....and if your first one doesn't appear in a church near me tomorrow night, all hell is going to break loose !