1/48 Monogram B-29 as RAF Washington B.1 *Finished!*

Thanks Guy and Bob :)

On 23/05/2016 at 5:53 PM, Bob Henry said:

It is turning out rather nicely. I'm really looking forward to those next few steps that you mentioned. (contrasting panels and heat affected parts). Yeah, I'm taking notes !!

Bob H.

Bob, here's a cheeky little trick for you...

First, take some squares or strips of kitchen foil and boil them with eggshells (yep, eggshells!) for about 5-10 mins:

tn_DSCN5192

Instant heat stained metal!

Next, cut out some patches and make patterns for the parts you want to apply heat effects. Because it's foil, you can shape it around the part and then cut to size.

Then brush some PVA glue to cover the back of the foil and apply to your model:

tn_DSCN5193

I burnish it down with a moistened cotton bud, then rub it down with the dry end of the cotton bud once the glue starts to stick.

tn_DSCN5194

Later you can rub it down with a microfibre cloth so the detail pops out. Leave it to dry overnight, and job done!

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 17

Great tip Alan will try that one myself.

Guy

• Like 1

That's brilliant. F-100 rear fuselage problem solved.

This should be put in the 'Top Tips' section......do we have one?

Coming back to your paint problems, I am a great user of Halfords gloss black, but I have found, even if I use a primer, it tends to etch through into the plastic. Even coats of Kleer before and after tend not to be completely effective. I know others who have had similar problems. A couple of wet coats of Kleer can mostly fix it, but you lose detail.

• Like 2

Not long come across your thread Alan, so have spent a pleasant bit of time catching up. This is a really impressive build & your save after the paint complications was brilliant - as is the finish now! And those tarnished foil engine panels? Fantastic....!!

Really wonderful modelling all round!! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1

Thought you'd like that one :lol:

On 23/05/2016 at 7:03 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

That's brilliant. F-100 rear fuselage problem solved.

What are you, a mind reader? :coolio:

Coming back to your paint problems, I am a great user of Halfords gloss black, but I have found, even if I use a primer, it tends to etch through into the plastic. Even coats of Kleer before and after tend not to be completely effective. I know others who have had similar problems. A couple of wet coats of Kleer can mostly fix it, but you lose detail.

Thanks very much, that's more or less what happened in the end. It's certainly got back to a place I can be happy with.

All the best guys, thanks for the comments, :) especially Keith, very kind mate.

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 5

Wow, fantastic result! Over an entire airframe that large in particular the finish is cracking. I'm almost glad you went down the Alclad route in the end instead of foiling something like that, it would send me crazy! Also how are you finding the durability of the Airframe aluminium? I think its a clever move to clear coat as you have as the last time I used the stuff it kept rubbing off for weeks during handling :doh: . Nice tip on the heat staining too!

David

• Like 1

Hello,Alan - Wow! You've got that light at the end of the tunnel with this bird now.The paint job looks and is superb and the exhaust detailing is terrific.I zoomed in on the cockpit area and I could even see some of the instrumentation.The rattle may be as a result of one of the crew dropping an empty Coke can!? It certainly doesn't show and it wouldn't be a real B-29 without a little rattle here or there,I'm sure.Magnificent work and result. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Alan, sorry but I've only just caught up with this fantastic build.....In my defence I don't come here often. :whistle:

Wow, what a journey. I like your pragmatic approach to the build, and with some great hints and tips thrown in I will definitely be using this as a reference build.

I don't have a kit yet but I did get hold of a set of decals from Kits at War for WF497 of 15 Sqn, it's one with the black undersides. I'm suddenly keen to get on with it.

Quality work ! Looking fab, nearly there.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Hi Alan!

Yer paint work looks just as tho ya'd used aluminum foil, instead; much shiny! So glad that ya were able to overcome the flaw with the base coat. Ever learnt whut it was?

The only thing that I'd have loved to see on yer build is that ya'd had the flaps deployed, but that's just me. It'd certainly have looked wonderful.

Such an awesome job ya did on this Washington B.1, mate. Congratulations! Usin' yer build as reference too.

Thought where are ya gonna display this beast yet?

Cheers, Alan.

Unc²

• Like 1

Thanks you guys :blush: great to have so many B-29 enthusiasts along for the build :) and glad it's going to be helpful to guys like Gaz and Unc, that was one of my hopes from the beginning, so it's very satisfying to know you guys will also benefit!

Very quick update:

tn_DSCN5195

Decals on!

tn_DSCN5196

One last thing before the decals went on - I defined the edges of the de-icing boots with foil and riveted it:

tn_DSCN5197

Much happier with the look of those now. (Just noticed I chipped a bit off at the wingtip though, probably whilst putting the decals on). I reckon I hit something with a wingtip every time I pick it up, it's very difficult to handle being sooo big!

Displaying this isn't such a headache as a friend of mine is going to store it (until he builds his!). The real headscratcher for me is how to transport it! Any and all suggestions welcome.

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 9

Transporting something like that is a headache. I made a jig-cum-cradle out of that dense packaging you get around electrical goods, not the agglomerated poly beads. It's what I used for my B-52 and XB-70. I'm just about to test it out as I have just finished a B-17 in 1/48, and it's club night.

IPMS%20Ipswich%202016-05-24%2015-48-45_z

It's been moved forward for photography, it's sits in cut recesses and doesn't move around. It also grips the carpet in the back of the car as well. I suppose I could also use sticky velcro on the bottom to anchor it securely.

• Like 4

The real headscratcher for me is how to transport it! Any and all suggestions welcome.

Alan

I could ask son-in-law if they could task a Chinook for you....!! :D

It looks stunning Alan,especially wearing proper roundels!

Keith

• Like 1

Looking even better now the decals are going on, for transporting maybe a polystyrene cradle or foam as Mike shows you above or a combination of both.

Guy

• Like 2

Hello Alan - I think the best ideas for transporting her have already been said.I'll just say that this is one magnificent model in both size and quality.Her markings look superb too.;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

Thanks Guy and Bob :)

Bob, here's a cheeky little trick for you....

First take some squares or strips of kitchen foil and boil them with eggshells (yep, eggshells!) for about 5-10 mins:

tn_DSCN5192.jpg

Instant heat stained metal!

Next,cut out some patches and make patterns for the parts you want to apply heat effects. Because it's foil, you can shape it around the part and then cut to size.

Then brush some PVA glue to cover the back of the foil and apply to your model:

tn_DSCN5194.jpg

I burnish it down with a moistened cotton bud, then rub it down with the dry end of the cotton bud once the glue starts to stick.

tn_DSCN5193.jpg

Later you can rub it down with a microfibre cloth so the detail pops out. Leave it to dry overnight, and job done!

Alan

Thank you Sir !! That method of heat treating looks like one of the best building tips that I've ever encountered. This build is shaping up to be one of my all time favorites for sure. Bob H.

• Like 3

So many to thank for the kind comments! Thank you all. I have "Liked" your comments as a signal of my appreciation :) but it is more than that. Impossible to quote and thank everyone using a phone.

Thanks Mr Bentwaters for the top tip. Simple but effective. I like!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Another quick update:

tn_DSCN5201

Propellers!

tn_DSCN5202

The Hamilton prop decals came from a generic 1/48 set by Kits World

tn_DSCN5203

The whole family.

I lined all the bomb doors and gear doors with wine-bottle foil riveted from the back as before. Easier than trying to eradicate the ejector pin marks and keep the raised detail.

tn_DSCN5199

tn_DSCN5200

Also had to scratchbuild one of the doors as it was missing from the kit.

tn_DSCN5198

All the gear struts ready for paint.

Lots of cleaning up required on these parts. They are impressively detailed though.

On 26/05/2016 at 2:29 AM, snapper_city said:

Looking good Alan. Are you hoping to have it finished for next club night?

I very much hope so Mark.

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 9

This is coming along nicely the doors look better with the foil and rivet detail and nice job on the props.

Keep up the good work Al.

Guy

• Like 1