1/48 Monogram B-29 as RAF Washington B.1 *Finished!*

Hi again, looks like we're on the final straight with this.

On 27/05/2016 at 5:15 PM, F4u said:

This is coming along nicely the doors look better with the foil and rivet detail and nice job on the props.

Keep up the good work Al.

Guy

On 27/05/2016 at 6:10 PM, snapper_city said:

Great job. You better get some more bottles of wine in to top up the scratch building materials.

On 27/05/2016 at 6:24 PM, Duncan B said:

OMG what a beautiful NMF you have achieved, fantastic. I really hope I get to see your build 'in the flesh' at a show sometime.

Duncan B

On 27/05/2016 at 7:25 PM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Alan - Every time I view the build I see yet more superb work.The props and panel rivet detail are excellent. ;) All the very best,Paul.

Thank you very much Guy Mark Duncan and Paul, and glad you were along for the ride as it happened. Thanks for the good advice along the way as well.

Well, as usual the 11th hour Murphy's cock-up came along. I was fitting the nosewheel and the mounting pin stuck halfway into the recess. I applied a bit of pressure, and POP went the fuselage seam :fraidnot:

tn_DSCN5204

Masking tape in place to hold the glue repair while I figure out how to restore the seam without spoiling everything else. :doh:

One unexpected benefit of all this is that the nosewheel is paradoxically the correct length now. You might remember way back in post #22 I mentioned that the kit's previous owner had scratchbuilt a new nose gear well, and I couldn't figure out why? Turns out its about 3mm deeper than the kit original, which is about how far the nosewheel leg had left to be fully seated. When I stuck it on its feet, it's achieved the exact "sit" I was looking for. Had everything gone to my plan, the nose would have sat too low. So hooray for mistakes. Still have to fix the seam though!

tn_DSCN5206

Though not accurate for this machine, I know some Sqns painted their nose gear doors - I went for blue to add some much needed colour, and add to the "Royal Visit" look. Oh yes - and it *just* balances on its nosewheel. I cut the supplied clear fuselage strut to size just in case.

Quick shot of the main gear:

tn_DSCN5205

Not visible in that pic are the hoses and electrical connectors i added to the gear legs. I opted for ZC Green for the inner doors to add some colour.

It was about here that my camera batteries died, so while it was recharging I went ahead and painted the exhausts a burnt metal colour, added the bomb doors and defensive turret guns, and filled all the window transparencies using Humbrol Clearfix. Just the blister windows, antennae and rigging left. I'm going to Thorpe Park today, so this should all be finished tomorrow! How exciting!

Thanks for following the epic so far,

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 10

Looks really good Al sorry to hear that the seam popped open and hope you don't have to much trouble rectifying the problem.

Guy

I love the way that certain smaller flourishes like the prop bosses and wheel tread really bring this one to life Alan. Always something there to draw the eye in each time, no matter what part of the aircraft you look at. :)

Tony

Edited by TheBaron
  • Like 1

Hello,Alan - I'm sorry she's had a bit of a hiccup with the seam but at the end of the day it could be a good thing in as far as the aircraft's posture is concerned.I know you will easily rectify the seam issue and really look forward to her official 'roll-out'. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks, gentlemen :worthy: Many thanks indeed.

Well, it's just about over except for the little touch-ups and repair jobs which will be the final check.

Here's the final day's progress, apologies for the ropey pictures but the light today is terrible down here:

tn_DSCN5207

Astrodome area needs building up, or it's just a hole. Used masking tape cut to size.

This is the astrodome, completed turret with Karakya gun barrels, and the holes and mast for the antenna mounts:

tn_DSCN5211

Nose seam repair, not perfect but virtually invisible without the flash:

tn_DSCN5212

Mid section dome windows fitted:

tn_DSCN5216

Back end:

tn_DSCN5217

Note supportive paint pot! If the surface isn't exactly level, it's a tail sitter.

Now for the antennae - here's another little trick to enhance the look of external aerials:

tn_DSCN5220

First I wrap some fine black enamelled wire around a 0.5mm drill bit

Then remove and cut to size:

tn_DSCN5221

I thread these on to the piece of EZ Line I'm using as the aerial wire.

tn_DSCN5222

Once the wire is safely glued, I slide the coil up to the end and secure with a spot of GS Hypo Cement.

tn_DSCN5225

Looks much nicer than plain attachments.

Last few bits:

tn_DSCN5226

I think this was an early ILS system (Blind Landing System)

tn_DSCN5227

Prop mounted (only one for fit testing)

tn_IMAG0385

And that's her finished!!! :yahoo:

I've got to do the finishing touches next - sadly it's so hard to handle with the size of the thing, some of the finesse has gone from the later stages of the build. There's a bit of glue, a lot of dust and other mistakes in the final assembly, (and that popped seam) so this won't be coming to a competition table near you anytime! I will be taking it down my club on Monday though. :)

Thank you so much to everyone who posted advice, help or just encouragement, and particularly to Bob Henry, F4u, Spookytooth, mcdonnell, TheBaron and snapper_city (you know who you are :worthy: ) for following the thread and being so supportive. I hope this does become a useful build reference for anyone else who fancies taking this fine old kit up a level. Look out for some pics in Ready for Inspection next week!

All the best,

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 16

Hi Al !

Basket Case speaking : your work on this kit is terrific and the eggshell trick is brilliant !

I hope you have enough room for it !!!! If you don't .. I can help !

• Like 1

Alan! :frantic:

She's finished! Lookin' terrific! This thread just oughta be pinned for future reference, methinks. Mike! Mike...!!! :lol:

Makes me want to go start buildin' mine, but me's a tad afraid... :fraidnot:

A bird which is way too big to handle. Not to talk 'bout 'em wings; once the fuselage halves are glued, surely I'll start bangin' it against the bedroom walls.

Big hug, Al. Congratulations on an epic build!

Cheers,

Unc²

• Like 1

Hi Alan

A great build you done there, but i notice something which now answers my question ive had a while nowhence on this page!, a while back there was a improvement set which was a set of uncuff 'props' and engine cowls and wondered why as i knew the real ones had engine overheating problems even when the washington 1st came here the 1st one to land had outer starboard prop feathered also some washingtons had cuff prop's too, well anyway the photo you put up is of a head on shot(fifi?) showed two types of cowlings - from left to right - starbroad outer an port inner is one has type of air vent and the starbroad inner an port outer are a different type! on your model their the larger type of air vents which are the norm on later momogram/revell models ive got the 1st issue with the cuff propellers so modellers take note,

Also if you using the radar dome by the bomb bays you can leave out the bunkbeds at the back as here the radar station was put - hope this helps when adding weights.

again nice build Alan - oh also i pinch some of your work tips!

george

ps its on page 3/4 i think of your build

Edited by BarmyBrumie
  • Like 1

Hello,Alan - You've worked a miracle with this magnificent build and your 'Washington' not only looks,but is,simply stunning and a credit to your modelling skills and expertise.Thank you for providing us with such an interesting and educational topic to follow and enjoy. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

tn_IMAG0386

tn_IMAG0389

Posting images is extremely laborious using a phone. I'll try it again tomorrow!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 18

Hello,Alan - I hope I'm the first to compliment you once again on this epic piece of superb modelling.A magnificent tribute to the 'Washington'.I love it. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello,Alan - I hope I'm the first to compliment you once again on this epic piece of superb modelling.A magnificent tribute to the 'Washington'.I love it. ;) All the very best,Paul.

You are indeed, and a very heartfelt thank you for it!
  • Like 1

Very nice, I especially like how you fixed the windows- When I last built the kit, when I was a kid, the windscreen and nosecone didn't fit worth a damn. The one on the cover of Scale Modeler was like yours, no seams, and i couldn't for the life of me figure out how he did it back then. Salute!

• Like 2

Alan, thanks so much for permitting us to go along for the ride on this one. I REALLY enjoyed it and I also managed to learn a lot !! WELL DONE SIR !! Bob H.

• Like 2