Monogram 1/72 B52 Stratofortress

So as promised after the Tu22 my next build is another 1/72 bomber and is one of my all time favourite aircraft, the Boeing B52 Stratofortress. This is the Monogram 'big, bad and beautiful' kit of the aircraft, which I think will be the largest model kit I have ever built and after the B36 is probably one of the largest 1/72 aircraft out there. This kit depicts the aircraft during Operation Arc Light, strategic bombing raids against North Vietnam during the Vietnam War, with the bomb bay and wing pylons loaded up with 1000lb 750lb M117 bombs and the distinctive 3-tone camoflague scheme along with a more unusual black underside. I got this second hand (the only way to get them nowadays) a while ago and have now decided to just hold my breath and plunge in to what will no doubt be a difficult but enjoyable build. The B52 is one of the most iconic aircraft of the Cold War and I think that as much as us Cold War types love it, comparatively few of us end up actually building one.

The awesome box art, consistent with the Monogram 1/72 B36 and 1/48 B58 and B29:

Monogram%205709%20B-52BBgdaa.JPG

I believe that the contents are not in the best condition (if the box is anything to go by anyway) and a couple of parts may be already assembled so, in the words of Bryn Cartwright from the Welsh classic Twin Town, 'what's the existing shamonga like?'

Upon opening the box:

72%20B52%20WIP_zpsniofmfsb.jpg

A quick size comparison- that's an Airfix 1/72 Typhoon, already quite a large aircraft:

72%20B52%20WIP%203_zpshkclygrb.jpg

Laying out the box contents- required multiple photos due to size:

72%20B52%20WIP%205_zpsbzqzhob6.jpg

72%20B52%20WIP%207_zps3ahuozrr.jpg

The bits that had come off of the sprues the box- I've checked it and it appears to all be there:

72%20B52%20WIP%209_zps0hq96mr0.jpg

Instructions and decals:

72%20B52%20WIP%202_zpsumn50dxz.jpg

By this point I was itching to get started so I did, assembling the wing fuel tanks:

72%20B52%20WIP%204_zpseogudk2d.jpg

And the engines- one of these was already done. There are only three here as the kit has the ability to show one engine with the inspection hatch removed, which I will be doing:

72%20B52%20WIP%208_zpsfubyotck.jpg

And the engine pylons- one of these was also already done:

72%20B52%20WIP%206_zpsvmk8o5ne.jpg

I also did the main landing gear:

72%20B52%20WIP%2010_zpsymc8snnc.jpg

This is going to be a fun one! With the Christmas holidays over my modelling rate will be slowing down drastically but I will try to spend one or two nights a week at least in the mancave.

-Flash

Edited by Flashman
  • Like 7

I built this monster in the mid 80s then hung it from my bedroom ceiling.

But plain old drawing pins wouldn't hold it, Dad had to put some screw hooks

in to hold it.

Swapped it from a school friend for 3 copies of Mayfair magazine.

We were 14 at the time.

• Like 6

I built this monster in the mid 80s then hung it from my bedroom ceiling.

But plain old drawing pins wouldn't hold it, Dad had to put some screw hooks

in to hold it.

Swapped it from a school friend for 3 copies of Mayfair magazine.

We were 14 at the time.

Wise beyond your years obviously...

• Like 2

Have managed to get in some more work over the last couple of days:

Built the fins:

72%20B52%20WIP%205_zpsewaiidgr.jpg

And the display engine- a bit of detail there:

72%20B52%20WIP_zpsuroclhio.jpg

And the wing pylons for bombs:

72%20B52%20WIP%203_zpsztisvyup.jpg

Weathered the landing gear- they were done in aluminum but I thought that was too bright so weathered them with drybrushing, washes and powder.

72%20B52%20WIP%2010_zpsq1tqsi89.jpg

Assembled the tail turret: not a good fit at all! Will give it a bit of tidying up.

72%20B52%20WIP%209_zpsokzc6q5f.jpg

Built the cockpit- it's very basic, with the pilots having part of the seat actually moulded into them and no 'battle station' area behind.

72%20B52%20WIP%207_zps7fdfztpa.jpg

72%20B52%20WIP%206_zpsnlavcwlo.jpg#

Very blurry for some reason:

72%20B52%20WIP%204_zpsdwy3qfcy.jpg

72%20B52%20WIP%208_zpseo8hqpvy.jpg

Painting the gear bays Interior Green:

72%20B52%20WIP%202_zpsftcah0vg.jpg

• Like 1

Such a beast. I would love to build another one.

Have you done the Monogram or another one? I'm thinking of doing a Gulf war build later on.

Have you done the Monogram or another one? I'm thinking of doing a Gulf war build later on.

I built the AMT / Italeri B-52H maybe 20 odd years ago. In the future when I have the space I would love to build more large bombers and cargo aircraft. Now I don't have the space for some 1/48 fighter jets.

• Like 1

Brilliant film. I've had a go at this one too, way, way back. Possibly bought at an air show, maybe Finningley having seen it "display", it took off, flew round a bit & landed!

Good kit though, crack on!

• Like 1

Progress!

Wheels in:

IMG_0261_zpsn0el7iih.jpg

Fuselage closed up- not a bad fit considering!

IMG_0264_zpsiqauqivm.jpg

Wing flaps in:

IMG_0263_zpsdgczxx1q.jpg

Engine pylons onto engines:

IMG_0262_zpsqa1855h0.jpg

Starting to look like a B52 now!

IMG_0265_zpscr8girq1.jpg

IMG_0272_zpsturpmi9c.jpg

IMG_0273_zps3fyqamme.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So I've finally managed to continue with this beast, am currently working on the masking for painting and should be able to get some pictures up more or less soon. Stand by!

• Like 1

Hello,Flash - You're doing a great job on a great subject in every sense of the word.This IS big and beautiful!! Keep up the good work! ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1