My Spectabulous 2015 Model Extravanganza!

Learstang

Back by popular demand, it's my modelling output for the year just past! Hot upon the heels of my prodigious 2014 modellistic endeavours (2 finished models!), I followed up that triumph by doubling, yes, you read that right, DOUBLING my output! I present for your dubious enjoyment piccies of no less than 4 models I finished in the last year! I'd like to say that I made up in quality what I lacked in quantity in my 2015 production, but my solicitor advises me not to break deceptive advertising laws, so I can't say that. However I will say that the following photographs contain a surprise - a NON-SOVIET model! And a Spitfire to boot!

All right, enough of the hyperbole, down to business. In order of completion, first up was the inevitable Lavochkin fighter, in this case the La-5F by AML. Reading some reviews of this kit some reviewers made this kit out to be almost unbuildable. Just to show that you can't believe everything you read, even on the Internet, the kit wasn't very hard to build, with no more than the usual bit of fettling seemingly inevitable to all short-run kits. At any rate I'm pleased with the results, and it's the first time I've done the Soviet two-grey fighter scheme used from late 1943 to the end of the war. I rather like the scheme.

Next up was the very nice Airfix Spitfire F.22. An easy build, and an easier scheme - all silver. The kit went together easily, and the decals worked out quite nicely. I only very lightly weathered the aircraft, with just a bit of exhaust stains as these aircraft were kept in good condition I'm led to believe.

Thirdly was yet another Lavochkin fighter, the LaGG-3 Series 3 from Roden (nee Toko). Although this kit also took a bit of fettling, a result of Roden fitting all the bits and bobs to do every version of the LaGG-3 into one moulding, I'm fairly pleased with the results. If you look closely, you will see that like the La-5F, it has a cat on the tail, a white one in this case, whilst the La-5F features a black cat with a white outline. This is not mere coincidence as both aircraft belonged to Soviet GPW ace Leonid Akimovich Galchenko. The cats must have proved reasonably lucky, as Tovarish Galchenko ended up the war in one piece, with 24 victories to his credit. He was interesting in being one of the few advocates of the LaGG-3.

Last but certainly not least, is the inevitable Il-2 (have I ever told you that I'd written a book about the Il-2 - yes? Well I have.). In this case it's a Shturmovik in a rather striking partial winter camouflage. The kit itself is the Eastern Express reboxing of the very good Dakoplast kit of the single-seater Il-2 with the wooden-covered outer wings. The scheme is particularly unusual in that most of the rear fuselage, including the underside, is finished in black. Why this was done is unclear from the record, but I've seen a photograph of one other Il-2 where this was done.

At any rate, below are the models in all their questionable glory. As usual all (favourable) comments are welcome, and unfavourable comments will be treated with the derision and verbal abuse they deserve in the order they are received. Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Jason

CIMG0779_zpscdgiyyeu.jpg

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 7

Although there are no piccies as yet, I've still given you a 'like' for your humour and general graciousnous..

I look forward to viewing these models of splendour once you sort the problem out.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

I had trouble adding more than one photograph to the original posting (actually I had trouble adding even one!), so here's another for your enjoyment. Note how large the Il-2 is.

Best Regards,

Jason

CIMG0774_zpsovnbppsz.jpg

Thank you, Bill! With your experience with limited-run kits, the LaGG-3 kit should not pose any difficulties for you. The moulds are getting a bit old, but with a bit of fettling, it turns out quite nicely. I seem to remember I had a problem getting the wheel wells (these are separate pieces), the fuselage and wings all to fit together, but nothing a good sanding can't sort out. It must not be that hard of a kit, as I have two others in the queue, one to do as a Series 11 with drop tanks and the black/green camouflage, and another to do as the Series 66, which will feature the stub exhausts and the two-grey camouflage scheme. It's a little bit of work, but nothing us real modellers can't handle. Don't let all the parts scare you Bill - go for it!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Nice models, always nice to see the single seater Il-2. The Grey on grey scheme looks great.

I have the new Tamiya Il-2 at least 3 older companies versions of the 2 seaters Eduard Dakoplast and I think Roden/Toko. For some reason I seem to collect them... Now if only I'd stop procrastinating and build the darn things.

Ray

• Like 1

Thank you very much! Build them Ray - you know you want to! I've built all four kits so I can help you with any questions, being reasonably knowledgeable about the Il-2. You may already know about this site, but it's a great one for Il-2 schemes - http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm

Best Regards,

Jason