618 ("Highball") Squadron and its PR.XVI Mosquitos in Australia - scoping a project

Manipled Mutineer

One thought comes to mind about using Narromine as a working up base. It was near an aircraft factory, so any damage to aircraft could have been assessed quickly.

Dennis

Hey Dennis - it's 200 miles from Narromine to the DH Factory at Bankstown. If they'd wanted an airfield closer there were a lot to choose from; Ley is on the right track with his earlier "keeping them out of the way" comment.

Sorry, was really not awake and thinking when I posted that!

Really was a small place far from anywhere when they were there.

My thought would be that it was underutilised by that stage of the war, and keeping them away from observation might have been a reason for being there. I'm sure the town enjoyed the boost of income from their presence though.

Really was a small place far from anywhere when they were there.

No, it wasn't that small!

keeping them away from observation

Denis, have a look at Google Earth at just how close the airfield is to the town. Further, a major road from Dubbo (one of the larger inland NSW cities) runs directly next to the base area. Due to the scarcity of trees etc the entire base (and its aircraft) are visible from this road.

Google Earth only shows what the place looks like now. Wartime restrictions meant limited travel by civilians.

Even if the locals could see the aircraft it doesn't follow that they knew the differences between standard and specialized aircraft, especially if the differences were minor or hard to see at a distance.

The wartime population of civilians was probably less than a thousand, considering that a lot of men and even some women were in the services.

As to the major road you have to ask who was using it. As I pointed out thete would have been limited non-military traffic.