618 ("Highball") Squadron and its PR.XVI Mosquitos in Australia - scoping a project

Manipled Mutineer

One of my friends, displaying a touching if unrealistic faith in my modelling skills, has asked me to build a Mosquito for her ex-RAF Grandfather for his 90th birthday later this year. I understand that he was with 618 Squadron when it was in Australia working up to attack the Japanese Fleet at Truk and has recollections of the PR XVI photo-reconnaissance Mosquitos which operated with it. By way of parameters, I will be working in 1/72 and trying to keep down costs for my friend as much as possible, so any low-cost, spare part or recycling options would be warmly appreciated.

To help me, I have a small shopping list of questions which I am hoping learned members may have the answer to.

Firstly, does anyone have any pictures they can share of 618 Sqn's PR XVI Mosquitos? I have seen references from other fora which seem to have embedded links to pictures hosted online but the actual images themselves I can't trace.

In particular, what was the colour scheme for the PR XVIs attached to the squadron. I have done some research and the options seem to be two - PRU Blue as stated by one source which I found on Hyperscale or silver, as shown in an RAFWeb profile?

Then, can anyone confirm the link-up between serials and codes for these aircraft? I understand that the codes in play were XI (tentatively identified as NS729), YI (very tentatively NS732), and ZI (likewise very tentatively the crashed NS735.) Were the serials and code letters black?

Are there any 1/72 decal sets of the actual aircraft available? If not, I have heard that the roundels [and flashes?] were standard RAF-type, with the red of the roundels overpainted with white RAAF-style, thus changing the proportions. Do these exist as decals anywhere? I have in my stash some old Frog Havoc and Ventura decals including RAAF options which look roughly the right proportions. Might I be able to use these?

I understand that these Mosquitos, like the Highball B.IVs, but unlike the practice F.B. VI, would have been fitted with V-frame arrestor hooks. Would an arrestor hook from a 1/72 Blackburn Shark or Sea Hurricane be suitable for that part? If not, would it be worth seeing if anyone has a spare Aeroclub white metal one?

I understand that their 2-stage Merlins would have been fitted with 4-blade Rotol propellers. Is Blackbird the best source for the 4-bladed props? Also is there any evidence to suggest that the engines would have been fitted, like their B.IV counterparts, with tropical filters? The wikipedia entry, which is my source for the list of mods, isn't clear. If yes, how could these best be sourced?

Finally, does the PR.XVI canopy only exist in Vacform in 1/72?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

I have an Australian volume,published in 1982,which includes a chapter on 618 squadron.I will look this out to see if it helps.I know that it contains a photograph of one of the PR XVIs,unfortunately a three quarter front view in a shadowy hangar.It does show the four-blade propellers fitted,and it appears that the aircraft was in PR Blue.I remember a reference to them being fitted with arrester hooks,as it was noted on the offer of the surviving two aircraft to the R.A.A.F.,with the suggestion that they might prefer to remove the hooks.The book,if you can obtain access to a copy,is"MOSQUITO MONOGRAPH"by David Vincent,but it is quite rare in the U.K.,

Bill.

• Like 1

There are some decals for 618 machines by Blackbird, but I believe these are their FB.VIs which were used for training. However, the national markings may be of use in your project. I think "Kits at War" had a 618 option or two on their Beaufighter/Mosquito sheet.

May be worth considering an FBVI rather than the PRXVI - that would have the benefit of using a kit straight from the box (preferably the Tamiya kit), although it would need tropical filters. These aren't available for Mosquitos but modified hurricane Vokes filters are close enough.

An Aeroclub V hook would be ideal.

Sadly, a PRXVI canopy only exists in vacform.

Info on 618 Sqn isn't easy to track down, with only brief mentions in most Mosquito books. The best is probably "A most secret Squadron" by Des Curtis, who flew with 618 Sqn.

• Like 1

Thanks Seahawk, there is indeed some useful information in the thread, and I have also reread the relevant parts of "A Most Secret Squadron". There isn't much in there about 618 Sqn in Australia but there is a useful photograph of what I think may be one of the PR XVIs showing the Vokes filters and 4-blade props.

Edited by Manipled Mutineer

I have managed to find my copy of "Mosquito Monograph",which still seems to be the main source of information on 618 Squadron(I must build the uncamouflaged Barracuda depicted in the book, that they used.)My memories of the Mk XVI photographed in the hangar entrance were correct,-it was apparently having the wheels changed,but I can't add any further detail.It seems that the R.A.A.F.lost interest in the Mk XVIs,and the R.N.Z.A.F.didn't want them,so they were disposed of by sale to the public in 1947,as were the other remaining 618 Squadron Mosquitoes.A list of their serials and ultimate fates is given in the book.

I know that some information on the 618 Sqdn.BIVs is in one of the Camouflage & Marking monographs,but I have put my copy somewhere safe.I don't think that any information on the mk.XVI is included,however.

I see that the thread on 618 Squadron has re-surfaced,so maybe somebody will come up with what you are looking for.If you feel that I can dredge any more from the book,please let me know,

Bill.

• Like 1

Did some research into this myself afew years ago when i started a 618 Highball/FB.VI/PRXVI triple build.

The PR's were overall PRU Blue.

Blue/White SEAC roundels, Red codes

200 Gal Slipper tanks

4 blade props

arrestor hook same as the Narromine B.IV's

Fuselage strengthening strip on port side

the access hatch on the lower rear fuselage was relocated to the centreline along with the 3 ID lights

Wire guard infront of tail wheel to stop Arrestor wires fowling the tail wheel.

• Like 3

Thanks Mungo, that's very useful indeed. In particular I didn't know about the i.d. lights, that information is not in any of the sources I found. Did you manage to associate the codes with their correct serial numbers? What were the height of the code letters? Did you manage to find a source for the slipper tanks? If the build ever came to fruition I would love to see some pictures!

I understand that he was with 618 Squadron when it was in Australia working up to attack the Japanese Fleet at Truk

That seems a common understanding but if this is correct, why on earth were they at Narromine??? There must have been a lot more available airfields near the sea - Narromine is distinctly an inland airfield.

I think Truk may have been my mistake, writing from memory. As to Narromine, my impression is that it was both empty (which must have recommended it) and close to a stores depot (No6, Dubbo), which may have been a consideration. It was only to be a training base: I understand that Manus in the Admiralty Islands was the intended operating base.

618's time at Fisherman's Bend/Narromine was only supposed to be a temporary stop for flight work ups after the aircraft were delivered on HMS Striker & HMS Fencer as it was a relatively quiet area and the Sqn's role and weapons were still classified.

They were due to push on with the British fleet to the combat zone,but the US Navy ran the show and felt they were more than capable of dealing with any Japanese shipping threat with their own Carrier force....so they never saw combat.

• Like 1

That seems a common understanding but if this is correct, why on earth were they at Narromine??? There must have been a lot more available airfields near the sea - Narromine is distinctly an inland airfield.

As the whole project was allegedly secret, perhaps an airfield far from prying eyes for training flights? Alternatively maybe someone thought a tiny town in the middle of nowhere was an excellent place to send pommies!

If memory serves, by the time 618 Sqn was declared operational the USN had sunk all the worthwhile targets.

Actually Narromine isn't exactly a "tiny town". The secrecy argument falls flat given how close the airfield is to the main street of the town (less than a 10 minutes' walk) and that a major rural road runs immediately passed the boundary.

They couldn't have realistically practiced from there since the nearest coastline is just over 200 nm away (further to get to the Williamtown ranges), while Fishermans Bend was never in any form an operational/training base (it was factory airfield only).

I suspect that there's an element of truth in Ley's comment about sending them "out of the way"...

• 6 months later...

I've nearly finished the build and am now thinking about decals. I'm hoping for some advice on sizing and placement of roundels, flashes, codes and serials. I've heard (as I noted up thread and Mungo confirmed) that the roundels and flash were standard RAF ones with the red painted out, but any further detail would be warmly appreciated.

Likewise, I'd also appreciate any hints as to location of camera ports (I believe that the arrestor hook installation would have hampered some of these) and how far up the centre line the I.d. lights were.

Many thanks,

Anthony

I've nearly finished the build and am now thinking about decals. I'm hoping for some advice on sizing and placement of roundels, flashes, codes and serials. I've heard (as I noted up thread and Mungo confirmed) that the roundels and flash were standard RAF ones with the red painted out, but any further detail would be warmly appreciated.

Likewise, I'd also appreciate any hints as to location of camera ports (I believe that the arrestor hook installation would have hampered some of these) and how far up the centre line the I.d. lights were.

Many thanks,

Anthony

this should help, while a nightfighter the camo and roundel and serial sizes are the same. Note guidelines for roundel positions.

De%20Havilland%20Mosquito%206%20%2819%29

from

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/06-De-Havilland-Mosquito

which should have some more useful info in it.

cheers

T