1/72 Havoc from WWII "Grace Airplanes" kit

Hello All,

As part of my garage clearing and stash organising (260-odd, if you are wondering), I came across some old-old models of my Dad's, from WWII.

Here's a "Grace Airplanes" kit, including "everything you need to build the model", including paint, bamboo, and pins:

Solids_Grace_Airplanes_zpskglq8efa.jpg

You even get spare wood!

solids_spares_zpswgzk9ojg.jpg

Here's a Hudson:

Solids_Hudson_zpsq3famqgm.jpg

I also have an "Airlines" kit. This seems to be a bit more basic, shown here next to the new Airfix Defiant to show that things have progressed a leetle bit:

Solids_Airline_zps8qeuqaoa.jpg

Not a scrap of balsa in sight! Presumably it was all going into 1:1 Mosquitoes at the time.

Paint of the day was based on a cellulose dope formula:

Solids_paint_zps2tqfprwq.jpg

One of them was even liquid! The brown, after a lot of stirring, came out quite well:

Solids_paint_dark_earth_zpslyg0b3de.jpg

Although then, as now, nobody quite agreed about Sky:

solids_paint_sky_zpsiwhfp1an.jpg

My Dad had got quite a long way through a Havoc build:

Solids_Havoc_stored_zpsiihixcvy.jpg

So I thought I would continue it in keeping with the spirit of the build. It was going to need crew - these fellows are carved from a lollipop stick. Any similarity to Captain Pugwash characters is accidental!

Solids_Havoc_crew_zpskx1ysghp.jpg

Although the plunge-formed canopies from the time (on the right) are still very usable, I made a new plug from balsa to fit the model better and vac-formed some new ones (on the left):

Solids_Havoc_canopies_zpsbzlfwow3.jpg

Detail was limited to a pair of Brownings, from wood and pins:

Solids_Havoc_details_zpsoy1tdile.jpg

I painted the whole airframe black from a tube of acrylic and applied the decals. The fuselage decals went on perfectly! I knew I was going to have trouble when the wing and tail decals started drifting into pieces on the sheet. I applied them by placing my thumb on the decal and pulling the paper out from underneath. I teased the various broken bits back into position and touched up the missing bits. I am unable to say how well they conformed into panel lines...

A coat of matt varnish and done! It was quite nostalgic to take part in a posthumous joint build, so here's to my Dad:

Solids_Havoc_finished_1_zpsw23frmrz.jpg
Solids_Havoc_finished_2_zps53vpubdu.jpg
Solids_Havoc_finished_3_zps01gzzekm.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

• Like 23

It looks superb. A lovely vintage look to it and very nicely finished after many decades. Wonder if you're tempted to build the others? :)

Lovely tribute to your dad,

Tony

• Like 1

Cool. I have a Grace B17 to build. I only identified the make after a couple of years by the style of the writing on it. I also have another makers Whirlwind kit as well as several built "solids" to restore, including some Skybirds.

At one time I had possibly the only known Frog Penguin Series 9 Dakota (in the world!) but passed it on to the chap running frogpenguin_dot_com. Frog made wood kits for three months in the winter 1945/46 so the whole wooden series 9 is pretty rare.

It's good fun working on the wooden models, gives a great sense of achievement even if the shape and detail are a bit old-fashioned.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments. It was indeed a different world in those days, and the paint was a *lot* smellier!

I have kept the unmade Boston kit and a couple of paint pots for pure nostalgia. I won't be making any more of them as the wood is quite knotty and hard to carve. I simply can't justify the effort of finishing them to an acceptable standard when I have so many other pressing and/or enjoyable demands on my time. And the original objective was to de-clutter the garage!

That said, I do have a "shelf of doom" scratch-built Fairey Long Range Monoplane (thread in this forum if you are interested) in balsa wood that I intend to resume when I get a moment this year.

And Will, good luck with your B-17! I think you can take a slice of the credit for Airfix announcing their new-tool Fortress!

Thanks,

Adrian

So extremely interesting and educational... The old paints; wooden models; I never knew about this. Thanks to your dad for preserving these, and thanks to your efforts in restoration and presentation.

• Like 1