Lightning (with a difference)

I have put this here, rather than in the what-if section, as it is more a what will be (probably)

Kittyhawk 1/48 Lockheed F-35B Lightning II

809 Sqn FAA Lightning FRS.1. aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth

Eduard colour cockpit etch panels. Decals from spares. All else as per kit. Unfortunately, the wash didn't go to plan, so it looks a bit "used".

It's not completely finished yet, as I still have weapons to fit (when I get them) and a few odds and sods to do to it.

809 are slated to be the first operational FAA sqn to use F-35B

20160103_142804_zpsafkb8dhe.jpg
20160103_142756_zpsr2yyvjl5.jpg
20160103_142750_zpswvcg1byf.jpg
20160103_142715_zpscvrthtbc.jpg
20160103_142702_zpsc4iqpabq.jpg
20160103_142655_zpswqlicez3.jpg

• Like 6

Certainly looks good in those markings, nice work. How did you find the build of this kit, as I'm contemplating getting one? What other armament are you going to be putting on it?

On the whole, not too bad. Fit is pretty good.

The big let down of the kit is the instructions. There are absolutely no colour call-outs whatsoever. And some of the diagrams are a bit ambiguous. As you can see, the pylons are included, but not really mentioned in the instructions, other than to say what weapons loads it can carry (only includes missiles)

I would suggest the Eduard cockpit set, as the decal provided for the glass instrument panel is woefully undersize.

I did actually replace the kit missiles (I forgot that point) I used ASRAAMs from the Revell Typhoon for the outer pylons to replace the Sidewinders given in the kit, and AMRAAMs (possibly from the same kit) to replace the kit ones in the bays.

I plan to get Eduard GBU-24 (?) and Stormshadow for the bays and inner pylons respectively.

Very nice,.....lets hope that the RAF allow 809 NAS to apply `Royal Navy' titles to its F-35`s,.......unlike the Harriers. Coloured markings like you have done would be nice too rather than those awful two toned grey roundels etc.

All the best

Tony