Happy New Year all!

Last year I completed the illustrations for Osprey's Aircraft of the Aces #114 on Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces, written by Nicholas Millman of http://www.aviationofjapan.com. Since the book has meanwhile been published, I'd like to show you a few samples.

Research by Nick and myself.

All images © Osprey Publishing.

Ki-61-I Otsu of the 78th Sentai:
Aces114_p09.jpg

Ki-61-I Tei of the 244th Sentai
Aces114_p16.jpg

Detail of the score board:
Aces114_p16_detail.jpg

This graphic gives you an idea of the amount of research that goes into each profile:
Aces114_p18_research.jpg

Ki-61-I Hei of the 56th Sentai:
Aces114_p27.jpg

Colourful Ki-100-I Otsu of Akeno's 111th Sentai:
Aces114_p30.jpg

Ki-100-I Otsu of the 5th Sentai:
Aces114_p33.jpg

A close-up of the tail unit and "Nine-headed Dragon" inscription:
Aces114_p33_detail.jpg

A Ki-100-I Ko of the 59th Sentai with P-51 victory marking under the cockpit and 3rd Chutai markings on both vertical and horizontal tail planes:
Aces114_p35.jpg

Sample line drawing of a Ki-100-I Otsu:
Aces114_line_Ki-100-I_Otsu.jpg

For those who are on Facebook, I have an artwork page at https://www.facebook.com/AviationArt.Aero and a group dedicated to the Ki-61/100 at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ki61Tony/

Many thanks for looking!

Ronnie Olsthoorn

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 20

Ronnie

I bought a copy to help and enthuse a Ki-61 build I have in mind. The Tei above in fact.

It's a very good book and shone a bright light into a dark corner of my ignorance. Thoroughly recommend it. Before I had not realised what a potent fighter the Ki-100 was and basically it's a Ki-61 Hein with a new engine.

It's not an expensive purchase and should be on the shelf! And I am not on commission either

Thank you very much gents! :)

By the way, these illustrations aren't 3D renders (like most of my other work), but 2D mouse-drawn illustrations. This saved about half of the production time, but unfortunately it does mean I don't have a 3D model to play with now. Next project will be 3D again.

Thanks guys!

You *really* need to have these profiles printed as a separate album. As much as I like the Osprey Aces series, the books are too small, especially for such well researched and detailed work.

The profiles I make are a lot bigger than they are printed, so indeed a lot of detail goes unseen. Probably the most extreme detail are marks made by hands and fingers on the edges of the fuselage hatch on some of the dustier examples (like profile 8), thus where the dust has been wiped away!

Currently the only way to see the profiles full-size is to purchase a print through http://www.aviationgraphic.com/52_ronnie-olsthoornalthough I have yet to add the Ki-61s (and most Ki-44s and Ki-27s!). It will happen, at some point. If you'd like me to add a particular one on short notice, please let me know.

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 1

Currently the only way to see the profiles full-size is to purchase a print through http://www.aviationgraphic.com/52_ronnie-olsthoornalthough I have yet to add the Ki-61s (and most Ki-44s and Ki-27s!). It will happen, at some point. If you'd like me to add a particular one on short notice, please let me know.

Thanks Ronnie,

I can wait. That explanatory graphic of Kobayashi's A/c would be my favorite. Underside was Yellow-Green #7 mixed with white as on Ki-43-III's?

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

Underside on all Ki-61s and Ki-100s was bare metal. Topsides started receiving Yellow-Green #7 at some point during the Ki-61-I Tei (Ki-61-Id) production run; i.e. all short-nose Ki-61s were produced in bare metal. Any camouflage was added by depots or in the field.

I'll try and add the Kobayashi profiles soon. They're indeed the most popular ones.

• 1 year later...

@dragonlanceHR the first kobayashi prints are now available through Aviation Graphic.

I will try and have cn/ 5262 added soon too.

Also, Nick Millman has posted a very kind review on his blog: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2017/12/aviation-prints-by-ronnie-olsthoorn.html

• Like 4

On 2016-01-06 at 1:53 AM, dragonlanceHR said:

You *really* need to have these profiles printed as a separate album. As much as I like the Osprey Aces series, the books are too small, especially for such well researched and detailed work.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

One of the reasons I like buying electronic versions is I can enlarge as much as I like on my tablet.

As well, I can read in bed without needing to turn on a light.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:19 AM, MikeR said:

I have a copy, as well as Nick's Ki-44 aces one, and can thoroughly recommend both books. :coolio:

Mike.

Yep, me too! I echo what Mike has said! The whole series is very well researched where colors and markings are concerned- they are great modeling references, especially for IJA/IJN aircraft.

the other Mike

• Like 1

On 11.12.2017 at 4:38 AM, Skyraider3D said:

first kobayashi prints are now available through Aviation Graphic.

Preparing for the upcoming Tamiya's Ki-61 Tei (1:72) I begun to search for nice decal/profiles. While browsing your illustrations for "Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces" I found profile #19 Ki-61-I Tei ‘87’, 244th Sentai, Akeno, Japan, April 1945 (see att. pic.) Could you please share the source for this profile?

6000559fb9de191f4feea1807a7b0845.jpg

Image source: (с) Google Books 

Edited by Dimmy
bigger pic

Thanks very much for the kind comments, gents!

@Dimmy, one photo of "87" has appeared in a few Japanese books. I've attached a scan of one.
You can just make out the fuselage stripe. Because of its faintness it's sometimes suggested this stripe was an overpainted white stripe that still vaguely shows through the camouflage paint. A rather weird interpretation, if you ask me, but kind of prolific for some reason. Given Kobayashi's senior position, this stripe would have been blue. Both the stripe and the camouflage paint simply ended up looking near-identical on black & white film.

reZsX9M.jpg

• Like 1

Skyrider3D, thank you very much for a photo and info! I have Japanese book "Pictorial History of 244th Sentai" with almost all available photos of Kobayashi planes but unfortunately photo of '87' is missed.

I agree with you that fuselage stripe on '87' is rather same blue colour as on Tei '62' also from April 1945.  

51h44fMt-pL._SX409_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Dimmy