Academy PBY-5A Catalina

Hello everyone :)

Here is my first post in the RFI gallery on this forum. It's Academy PBY-5A Catalina in 1/72 scale. A fine model, not too accurate though :). Still, It's my favorite of the flying boats, and I always wanted one on the shelf. Now i find that one is not enough :)

The colors are my mix, using the Mk 1. eyeball to determine the right shade from the available pictures, taking into account the scorching pacific sun. It represents one of the early airframes, so I wanted to give the impression that she was in theatre a long time. Thanks for looking :)

0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg
0007.jpg
0008.jpg
0009.jpg
0010.jpg
0011.jpg
0012.jpg
0013.jpg
0014.jpg
0015.jpg
0016.jpg
0017.jpg
0018.jpg
0019.jpg
0020.jpg

• Like 73

A very cool Cat! Superb workmanship and the paint job is faultless!

Well done!

JR

Great build and really smooth paint job of an impressive aircraft. I have this one in the wish list for a future build. You mentioned the Academy kit is not very accurate. Could you please elaborate on that?

Cheers

Jaime

thanks everybody for the kind comments :)

@jrlx: well the engines and the rear blisters are the main problem. the engine diameter is too small (from what i gather, the outside diameter is what should be the inside diameter), and the rear blisters lack some of the detail of the real thing, particularly in the bottom, where there should be some window detail, and there is none on the model. also, the model suffers from poor detail in some spots, but that is not too noticeable (the machine guns, for example, are very simplified). Also, the decals should best be replaced, they are too thick, resist even gunze mr.mark softer and don't have consistent color (the stars'n'bars on my model have a dark edge, which became noticeable only after I placed them on the model).

Edited by daneel
  • Like 1

Hello Daneel,

My verdict: excellent model.

Well constructed and air brushed..

More flying boats on this website please.

Regards,

Dirk

Having endured the Airfix Cat a while ago I'd say this is a better one to start with

You have made a superb Cat here, it looks every bit like a Pacific bird

The paintwork is first class

Thanks for bringing her to us