A Deuce of Vampires - Airfix and Aeroclub Duo Build

I'm really enjoying this thread Trevor.

Given that the starting points are so different, it will be fascinating to see how the end results compare and which you enjoy building the most...

Cliff

• Like 1

John

Many thanks for the insight into the production. I've had the kit since it first came out but never Had the excuse to doing it.

It's interesting that Mr Huntley ended up getting it so wrong. As you say we now know to be wary of plans.

I am not criticising the kit as I intend to make both side by side. I may add some cockpit detail but given that the cockpit of the real thing is a coal hole anyway and the canopy will be closed, I'm not sure how much will be seen.

Cliff I'm sure that I'll enjoy both. The Airfix kit is a typical modern Airfix kit. As for the Aeroclub version, I built the 1/72 Gnat F.1 when it first came out. I found it an easy build and was very happy with the end result. Once I've fettled the parts as instructed Then no doubt this one will end up the same.

Trevor

• Like 1

An interesting comparison that shows, IMHO, how good Aeroclub stuff is. As John notes it's light years away in technology but will build into something pretty close to the modern kit and the real thing. That's more than many main-stream manufacturers can manage.

I've got a part built Hobby Craft T.11 started in the Obsolete Kit GB that I found when moving last year, I really should get it finished.

• Like 1

I agree. As I said my only other Aeroclub model was the Gnat and I enjoyed that.

I may have the Airfix pod finished by tomorrow and then I'll tackle the other on up to the same point.

Stay tuned :)

Trevor

David!

I would be very interested to see them. It's not as if the T.11 has been oversubscribed but the Uncle Les one is intruiging.

Trevor

Trevor

Here's the AirModel one. The fuselage is split horizontally.

DSCN1030_zpsha8gdir4.jpg

It has two canopies - they are hard to tell apart but the nearer one is the bulged one used by the T11 and the rear one is the framed one used by the NF10.

DSCN1031_zpsifbzcrxc.jpg

Here's the Uncle Les resin one.

DSCN1034_zpsozthsokm.jpg

He's down in Australia and made some good resins of unusual Australian aircraft too - the CAC CA-23 (fantastic looking 50s twin jet fighter) and CA-31 (mini Mirage trainer). The fuselage is cast in one piece of resin with the seats moulded in to the cockpit but pretty detailed.

DSCN1032_zpsx7nwsjt2.jpg

David

• Like 1

Thanks for that David.

Do the Airmodel and Uncle Les ones rely on donor kits? I see you have a FROG FB.5 in the stash too!

Trevor

Yes - The AirModel one needs the Frog kit and the Uncle Les one uses the Heller one. With both, you have to take care of the fin changes yourself.

David

• Like 1

Some fettling for tonight. After gluing in the cockpit to one of the fuselage halves (having scraped paint away from the mating surfaces - tolerances are tight here), I glued some foil wine top into the nose space.

696F362C-69D8-47FA-B166-C4181AA1D269_zps

So then, nothing left but to glue the fuselage together

B1C8C3D7-30FB-4897-8AEC-E633D8B3BA48_zps

I painted the engine fan and glued it into the back of the intake. Seems a bit of a waste really as nothing will be seen. A blank or solid back to the intake would have sufficed. Or am I missing something here?

Next was the under fuselage plug

006F44E7-CED1-4772-B009-EC899F091E8D_zps

I said I'd stop there but couldn't stop myself gluing the top wing on.....

7878FEC5-F328-451B-B370-2EBC4BFA6157_zps

This is the nearest thing to a shake n' bake kit I have come across!

Now I'm going to stop there and get to the same place with the Aeroclub version.

More soonish.

Trevor

• 1 month later...

Hello.

So what's happened? Well basically I've not glued, cut or painted anything since January. To be honest the mojo packed its bags and went on holiday. This happens a lot with me unfortunately. There's the Edgar Spitfire tribute build starting this week as well.

So here's the plan.

I'll finish the Airfix one, but the Aeroclub offering will go back into my AMARC for another day. I will build the Spitfire at the same time.

Stay tuned!

Trevor

• Like 2

Sounds a good plan Trevor. There's no point beating your mojo back into submission with a difficult kit when there's plenty simpler ones to choose from.

• Like 1

Update time!

It didn't take much effort to get the airframe completed.

Booms and undercarriage (I've heeded the warnings about the main gears being placed before the lower wings.

7033963D-5B46-442B-9CFA-6637F9A9B2F0_zps

95146737-D044-4984-A242-B135E1540CDC_zps

30018D25-B533-43B3-B469-2B1EE992A6DE_zps

It's a tail sitter at the moment

2865A8D5-0C11-4652-B038-687EC2BD8E2D_zps

but I reckon that with the canopy it will just about be ok.

There's a bit of a seam at one wing root though

804D6DC2-B9B4-443B-AD84-5874F7DE724F_zps

I may run some thinned pva along that and get rid of the *ahem* finger marks.........

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Glacial progress...

Structurally complete and ready for masking

B8C2C508-1D2B-4B8D-AF08-1BC8B9BD9904_zps

Since this photo was taken it's been sprayed Humbrol rattlecan primer. Not too many issues. I was concerned about the join of the one piece wing with the upper fuselage but it turned out good enough :)

Photo of the primed plastic later.

Now then the colour scheme. I'm wavering. I'm not the biggest fan of NMF/silver dope and with the looming deadline am seriously tempted by the anonymous looking Rhodesian example.

We'll see

Trevor

• Like 1

Could have sworn the finish was the end of March.......but no, 24th April!

Panic over and normal service will be resumed soon ;) with pix.

Trevor

Update

0BEAE81B-3EC3-44CA-A999-5B245CAE9003_zps

AAE85022-BA82-44FE-AF19-FC43FFE2C62D_zps

I love Humbrol primer.

Now that I have another month(!) do I revert to a NMF for this? I don't fancy the yellow trainer scheme and so have bought these for the more fetching dayglo orange option

85FE5EF4-9D23-4640-A573-857F1937DEDD_zps

The Humbrol is acrylic and the Revell is gloss enamel. Do I use the Revell as a base or should I have a base of white? I brush paint and tips would be gratefully received.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress (but only a bit)

I've decided to go all Aussie, so using Model Aircraft from February 2015 as a guide, this is the way I'm going.

877C0899-202D-4AA8-A956-6F887AAB8BF9_zps

I have most of a Frog Sea Venom sheet for the 'roo roundels. The rest will come from the kit markings and the spares box.

529A12C0-2C9D-41E8-B46B-F31ED03FE85D_zps

I've said on more than one occasion that the £1.00 I spent at a Duxford show about 35 years ago on a bag of over produced Frog transfer sheets is my best ever modelling bargain :)

Trevor

.......and then I came upon a problem.

7232B4AE-3F86-4E2A-ADD7-8DD5F00645DA_zps

Brand new, I opened the pot and looked in and not only was it nearly empty, but most of what was left was solid. All the paint in the lid for instance is rock hard.

Sorry Humbrol you've lost another customer until you sort out your QC.

Anyone got a Revell Aqua equivalent?

Trevor

Rocking the faded dayglo look there Trevor. I've seen a similar finish on FRADU Hunters and Luftwaffe Starfighters so you may have accidentally come across a useful technique there :D