A Deuce of Vampires - Airfix and Aeroclub Duo Build

Hi. Looking forward to this group build. Looking through the stash I have decided that I'll be doing the rather nice Airfix Vampire T.11 which I bought on it's first day of sale in the late lamented Modelzone :(

Sitting nearby in the pile was Aeroclub's offering which I bought but never got round to making.

6BA57E56-EBD6-4B5E-B42F-EB3F4178D87A_zps

So a question to the mods. The rules say that two similar models are allowed in one thread. Does that include two different manufacturers?

I thought it would be fun to build them side by side and do a 'Compare and Contrast' approach. Also building two at a time would stretch me. If not allowed then I would do just the one (but which?).

I have my eye on a rather nice Xtradecal sheet and would do at least one as an export T.55.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72174

I quite like the Lebanese one......and the Mexican........and the Chilean........decisions decisions.

Trevor

• Like 1

Great kit and a great choice of decals. Hope you don't mind but this link should take you to the Chilean and Rhodesian Vampires I did for the Training Types GB which may help you choose your scheme: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954903-too-late-to-join-more-vampires/page-2

And my Lebanese on is towards the bottom of this page: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952324-gallery-and-poll/page-3

• Like 1

I have built both of them.

Aeroclub turned out easier and better than I expected but the tail booms are the weak point wit a heavy fuselage. Don't raise it from the booms! (and don't ask how I know! :banghead: ) For some reason feelings of the Airfix are much more lame...

Good luck!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi AaCee!

If the boom of the Aeroclub is anything like the Heller one then I may need some reinforcing with some drilling, a length of chopped-up paper clip as reinforcement, some epoxy/superglue/liquid cement and a shot of the hard stuff for a steady hand!

I'm away from the models ATM but vaguely remember that it's a butt join. I have an idea for some sort of jig when fixing them and using the Airfix one as a template for this.

Ronald! You're a bad, bad man!

Trevor

If the boom of the Aeroclub is anything like the Heller one then I may need some reinforcing with some drilling, a length of chopped-up paper clip as reinforcement, some epoxy/superglue/liquid cement and a shot of the hard stuff for a steady hand!

I'm away from the models ATM but vaguely remember that it's a butt join. I have an idea for some sort of jig when fixing them and using the Airfix one as a template for this.

Hi Trevor,

Use as strong as possible support for the booms as you can find! Sturdiest possible paper clip, carbon fibre, railroad track (N gauge ;), iron bar... It is a butt joint having two vertical and a horizontal seams. Drilling both ends as deep as possible would be helpful. Heller is not as bad as this as it has much lighter front part.

I don't recall fitting Aeroclub tail too difficult but it was over 20 years ago... I thought then that with cleaning it up there was a sound model hiding in the kit.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Roland! If you still have those Xtradecal sheets what were the Xtracrylics colour call outs on the Chilean and Lebanese birds? If I'm ordering the sheet, I might as well get the paints too. I tried squinting my eyes on a blow up of the instructions on screen but either the screen or my eyes are fuzzy (probably the latter :( )

Trevor

Trevor

Colours listed on the Xtradecal sheet are:

Chilean AF: FS20145/FS20260/FS25526 - seems strange that a Brit built ac would be delivered in FS colours

Lebanese AF: High speed silver/Trainer Yellow/Same colour as the red bits of the roundels for the red bits.

Warpaint No 27 only shows Chilean AF Vampires in HSS so I assume they were repainted in a local colours after delivery.

Roly

• Like 1

Hello again!

Don't panic, I'm not starting the Airfix and Aeroclub versions yet as I still have a KUTA Mosquito to finish off (hopefully this weekend).

However as a prologue I thought that I would do a 'compare and contrast' of the two models before committing scalpel to plastic. I won't do a detailed sprue explanation of the Airfix version as there is already an in-box review here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934237-de-havilland-vampire-t11-172-airfix/

Instead and first off here are sprue shots of the Aeroclub version for all those not familiar (or have forgotten details of) John Adams' offering. The artwork is dated 1987 (am I that old..... :( )

D6A3E1A2-F4CB-4005-84C9-3B61BF34F765_zps

B8298DA4-5007-4FB3-87DB-2352AAF9077E_zps

So how does it compare to the Airfix version? Bear in mind that this was a limited run kit and imagine that I've cleaned up the parts

DFAE5B2C-9061-4724-BFD5-49B476B91E65_zps

46618697-D21B-4B14-AFB8-821E8A48890E_zps

ADA6DBC4-1228-405B-87FF-1D84901744D6_zps

D7FB21BD-7A6B-43CA-8A8C-676698867955_zps

Dimensionally the Aeroclub fuselage pod is a few mm longer at the back and to me the canopy is narrower, but other than that they are about the same I think. Interestingly though the plan supplied makes out that the Airfix wingspan is too great.

6E983903-C924-4D92-8171-E76AE4FEA20C_zps

However, side by side they are within a gnat's whisker. No doubt all of this will become clearer later.............

Chomping at the bit.

Trevor

Instead and first off here are sprue shots of the Aeroclub version for all those not familiar (or have forgotten details of) John Adams' offering. The artwork is dated 1987 (am I that old..... :( )

Hi Trevor,

I was earlier thinking that I filed the rudder closer to the shape and your pictures seems to confirm that. I can't check it at any more because it replaced some Chinese porcelain of an old Vampire driver's wife's cabinet! :winkgrin:

Rest of the built was cleaning the parts, thinning air intake lips and trailing edges and stuff like that. Thinking it later gives me warm memories (greetings to John if he is reading this) and now later I feel it gave me better memories than the Airfix with banana wings and somehow complicated engineering. Of course attitude to start a short run kit was different than a recent mainstream kit.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi AaCee!

Must admit I'm quite looking forward to this build. My memory tells me that whittling of the insides will be required to make the interior fit, but can't recall any other issues.

We'll see in due course.

Trevor

A few small steps this afternoon - well with the Airfix kit at least.

I assembled the cockpit, minus the trim wheel on the sidewall by the pilot, and then test fitted it into the fuselage halves and I'm pleased to say that the fit is impeccable. I then blu tacked the cockpit and each fuselage half to a piece of card and rattle-canned the lot with matt black. I will then pick out details in silver with dry brushing etc and do the straps etc before inserting weight, the cockpit, jet pipe and engine intake and finally buttoning up the pod ready for the wings.

Looking at the Aeroclub version only a rudimentary cockpit detail is included, with the helpful suggestion in the instructions to thin the fuselage sides and to add detail to taste! Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising because this is a 30 year old limited run kit. Then, you only options were the Merlin offering (I've heard horror stories about that one) or I think a West German vac form using a Frog single seater as a donor? Not started that yet but I can confirm that the rear end of the Aeroclub version is shorter than that from Airfix. The trailing edge seems differs too. The weird thing is that the Airfix offering is a closer match to the Aeroclub plan than their own kit. I'll try and explain when I get around to posting pictures.

Onwards etc......!

Trevor

So then pictures

I blu tacked an Aeroclub fuselage to the corresponding Airfix part

7A475276-FB72-4AC2-AF9C-08BE3581C326_zps

B625F0D2-5711-4B6C-9960-322A4547B0E9_zps

As you can see the Airfix one is longer. No idea which is right and no I'm not going to 'fix' the wrong one!

Quick spray of the bits.....

142150AA-1000-4FE0-B472-1FDDC30EEE5C_zps

BD3B465A-7F3C-42E7-9672-F3F0CB1D9CA5_zps

After some painting the cockpit looked like this

B42947B9-3CC1-4079-AD3D-D0E99D55F7D4_zps

Looking at online pictures, there is very little variation in colour. Black everywhere in reality.

Once it's all buttoned up it will look like this

DFCC63E7-342F-4B08-A340-F6C8512EE515_zps

The only additions are the Tamiya Tape seat belts and the pull handles which will be painted later in the process. Talking of which I noticed that although the pull handles aren't included in the kit, Airfix have thoughtfully included indentations in the appropriate place for those like me who feel the need to customise. Nice one Airfix :)

Once I close up the fuselage pod, I will then turn my attention to the Aeroclub version.

Trevor

• Like 3

This is great. I have the Aeroclub kit (and the Merlin and the Airmodel conversion for the Frog Vampire and the Uncle Les resin conversion for the Heller Vampire) - none of them built, of course, so I'll follow with interest. I'd love to know which of your fuselages is the right length!

David

• Like 1

Hi David. Thanks for reminding me of the name Airmodel as I couldn't for the life of me remember!

Never heard of 'Uncle Les' and I'd be interested to see what it looks like. The only other lot of the T.11 that I know of is the CMK resin kit, but I'm not made of money!

As to which of the two is more accurate I've no idea. John Adams runs over everything physically with a ruler but Airfix should know what they're on about. Then again remember their new MiG 15?! I think it will come down to the 'look' once built.

Stay tuned!

Trevor

Trevor

The AirModel conversion is actually for an NF10 but has two canopies - the early NF10 framed one and the later one like the T11 has. So I guess you could make a T11 out of it too. I'll post pics of it and the Uncle Les if you want.

David

• Like 1

The 1/72 T.11 was produced over 30 years ago, back in the time when I thought that published drawings were the thing to use because they after all were produced by well known authorities and who was I to question them.

The drawings in this case were the Ian Huntley ones from Aviation News. I later found that the fuselage is too short and in the wrong place relative to the wing. The overall length on the drawings is correct but to make it so the booms have been lengthened and they are too thin.( I thickened mine a bit) It was my third injected kit in days when the short run mantra (Pegasus/Merlin) was for thick walls to enable very fragile moulds to fill on low pressure small machines without the machine clamp springing open. Fill pressure versus clamp pressure was a nightmare on my machines assembled by me from scrapyard stuff. All part of the learning curve.

For the record the T.11 and NF.10 fuselages have different cockpit widths and the windscreens and canopies are quite different unlike those drawings.

It will be interesting to see what you make of it. but I must admit I'm not too happy with comparisons in kits produced light years apart in technology.

John

• Like 3