Airfix New Tool 1/72 Beaufighter TF.X

So, I finally got my Beau finished over the Christmas holidays. I'm quite pleased with how it came out. I now just need a white / EDSG / DSG / white camo'd one!

DSCF9058_zpssqwopnw4.jpg

DSCF9060_zpsbpvm5qvz.jpg

DSCF9061_zpss01a7syw.jpg

DSCF9062_zpseajuizyk.jpg

regards,

Martin

• Like 32

You`ve done a great job there Martin, it looks great.

Just one query,......did 404 Sqn RCAF use torpedoes? I thought that they were rockets only,....I could be wrong mind you.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hello,Martin - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Beaufighter'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.I also commend the subtle weathering very much indeed.She is a resplendent tribute to the type.All the best,Paul.

Great looking Beaufighter, and I too love the subtle weathering. It is worth noting however that the Coastal Command aircraft that did shipping strikes were never subtly weathered. They took an absolute hammering what with wind and salt spray and looked absolutely beat up.

You just finished yours over Christmas, and I just received mine for Christmas. I certainly hope I'm able to do as fine a job as you did. Mine will also be a 404sqn build, probably 2-G.

Congratulations, well done.

You`ve done a great job there Martin, it looks great.

Just one query,......did 404 Sqn RCAF use torpedoes? I thought that they were rockets only,....I could be wrong mind you.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

I'm sure you're right! I just fancied that Beau fitted with a torp, as my last Airfix Beau (27Sqn) had the rockets. I know this is sacrilege to those who are less lazy than I and actually research their builds, but I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Anyway, Happy New Year, mate. I hadn't seen many posts from you recently and I had been wondering whether all was OK. Hope so!

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Great looking Beaufighter, and I too love the subtle weathering. It is worth noting however that the Coastal Command aircraft that did shipping strikes were never subtly weathered. They took an absolute hammering what with wind and salt spray and looked absolutely beat up.

Thanks for the response. I had tried to get a more weather beaten effect with an oil dot filter over the Xtracrylix DSG, but I obviously took off too much of the filter and it came out quite subtle on the topsides (bottom is better). The overall top colour is DSG brush-painted over a white primer coat. I pre-shaded some panels (not lines, panels) in RLM66 for variety and painted the DSG over that. You can just see some of the panels are a bit darker in the pictures (the inboard starboard wing, for instance).

Ah well, I quite like it anyway.

regards,

Martin

Tony,

I'm sure you're right! I just fancied that Beau fitted with a torp, as my last Airfix Beau (27Sqn) had the rockets. I know this is sacrilege to those who are less lazy than I and actually research their builds, but I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Anyway, Happy New Year, mate. I hadn't seen many posts from you recently and I had been wondering whether all was OK. Hope so!

regards,

Martin

Hiya Martin,

You`ve done a fantastic job on the Beau mate and please don`t think that I was criticising it at all as I wasn`t,....far from it indeed and I love the scheme you`ve chosen! It does look nice with the torpedo fitted,......I just wondered whether you knew something that I didn`t and after all it is your model and you can stick what you want on it and to hell with everybody!

Personally things haven`t been great recently but I`ve managed a few posts recently, they just seem to move onto pg 2 of rfi quite quickly! I`ve recently done my 2015 yearbook and totalled 62 models for the year,...which was a bit of a shock!

I look forward to some more little gems from you in 2016 mate,

All the best

Tony

PS- I`m really looking forward to the white/TSS one,.....another scheme which looks great on the Beau, especially with sqn markings applied!

Edited by tonyot