P-47D-30 - Progress with paint 08/03

Hi Guys

Crazy as it may sound, starting a second project before I have hardly made a dent in the first, stick with me because there is method to my apparent madness!

There will be a need to add 'shiny', 'silvery', 'metallicy' paint, which really isn't my thing, to at least part of at least one project later this year, so it makes sense to start R&D into the technique sooner, rather than later.

No prizes for guessing that it means this will be finished in the classic USAAF bmf - or as close as I can get it!

001_zpssx0wabhd.jpg

I'm quite looking forward to this!

Cheers for now,

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 3

I've purchased Alclad II (Airframe Aluminium) for mine. Give it a go - there is a good colour range to choose from :)

Because Royal Mail wont touch liquids, my options are limited to whatever the local 'hobby shops' choose to stock - which means Humbrol or Revell.

Even a day-trip to Southampton wont help because of the hand baggage restrictions on liquids, so I will be doing the best I can with the materials to hand

Welcome to the build Craig.

Someone else that is trying something new for this build, I have to admit NMF's scare me a bit as well.

If you can find it, Model Master (Testors) Metalizer paints are great and produce a great metal finish as well.

Anyway, good luck with your build, hope it is a trouble free build and look forward to seeing the completed build.

You are not the only one that have problems with a NMF on a kit. It gives me the creaps all the time. :door:

If I can get a different paintscheme I normaly do (Like I will do in this GB as well).

But don't get scared by me. I say go for it!!!!

Cheers,

Because Royal Mail wont touch liquids, my options are limited to whatever the local 'hobby shops' choose to stock - which means Humbrol or Revell.

Even a day-trip to Southampton wont help because of the hand baggage restrictions on liquids, so I will be doing the best I can with the materials to hand

I buy my Alclad on-line and only pay a couple of quid for postage. Drop me a PM if you'd like more detail :)

Sorry Guys,

I somehow got it into my head that this started tonight! :banghead: , so I've already missed out on more than 20 hours of modelling time :frantic:

This was one of a bundle of 'pre-owned' kits I scored on E-bay 2 or 3 or maybe 4 years ago and apart from opening the box to confirm the bag was still 'factory' sealed, I didn't give it a second thought until I saw this STB - so, the perfect opportunity to build it!

Sprue shot......

001_zpsg7cqdlxd.jpg

......first impressions, now I've opened the bag, are rather mixed.

Tooled in 1999......

002_zpsw471f6j1.jpg

..... with loads of flash across every sprue......

003_zpsv1xuzjii.jpg

... which was a bit of a worry, but look closer and its all super smooth, super shiny silvery grey plastic with really subtle recessed panel lines and loads of really nice detail everywhere - very impressive, certainly compared with some of the new tool Airfix kits I've been building recently! A comprehensive looking decal sheet, although God only knows what it will look like over a bmf and the usual rubbish Revell instructions - I really hate having to keep searching for the key to the paint colours!

However, the 'fly in the ointment' is the glazing, really 'lumpy' and 'bumpy' on the inside - which is a real shame, especially with it being a 'bubbletop'! I'll have to see how it looks after a few soakings in Klear

Anyway, better get cracking on!

Best of luck to everyone

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

As you say it doesn't look to bad for a model that is 17 years old!

Shame about the canopy, if it is a real concern and the Klear doesn't work, then maybe you could try a Vacform replacement?

As you say it doesn't look to bad for a model that is 17 years old!

Shame about the canopy, if it is a real concern and the Klear doesn't work, then maybe you could try a Vacform replacement?

Hi Rich

Having slept on it - but not literally!, the plan is to crack on with the build and if, and it is a big IF, the bmf turns out ok, then I will have another go at my nemesis - the vacform canopy

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Despite repeatedly threatening to make the switch to fast drying acrylics for interior bits - cockpits, wheel bays, undercarriage, etc - as yet, I haven't had the opportunity to visit the only local hobby shop that stocks them, so I'm persevering with good old enamels - and getting left for dead! Mish has already finished one, for crying out loud!

Anyway, despite my late start :banghead: , I have made some progress.......

001_zpstyuvpkbg.jpg

002_zpshlk4xxs4.jpg

004_zpsxmgqlwon.jpg

005_zpszrptf90p.jpg

006_zpsai3efcnw.jpg

008_zpskdnt9wdh.jpg

009_zpsacoprcvb.jpg

....the wash is still wet, but at least I'm close to closing-up and catching up!

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 6

Hi Guys

Sadly, due to a catastrophic reaction between plastic and super-glue accelerator, this is now in the bin :weep: .

My own fault, for not following the instructions and testing somewhere inconspicuous first.

It has to be an issue with the plastic, since I've used this accelerator, without problems, on a half dozen builds over the last 6 or 8 months.

Cheers for now

Craig

What happened Craig? Is it truly irreversible?

I have found that CA accelerator can have adverse effects with plastic, as in it will go quite Matt and soft. Very easy to damage the plastic if you try to touch it before it evaporates.

Maybe you could do a diorama with it, sort of a wheels up landing or a long landing where it ended up in the shrubs?

Hopefully you can sort something out and rejoin the build, what you had done was some very nice work!!!

Hi Rich, thanks for your concern

In my frustration, I'm blaming everyone and everything else for the issue - but it was entirely due to my own carelessness :banghead:

Whilst pinching the lower fuselage joint with one hand to close the top joint, and not aiming properly, I managed to soak my fingers with accelerator rather than the glue!

In the matter of a couple of seconds it took to re-aim & re-squirt, the damage was done with fingerprints all over the lower wing root, exhaust/ air vent area. Worn-out wet'n'dry has removed the marks from the 'flat' areas but around the detail - I'm stuffed

I'll leave it for a couple of days and re-assess

Cheers

Craig

What a pitty. maybee you can salvage it on later date.

I always use super glue to fill in any seams. I always use some cheap bakingpowder to set the glue fast and then sand it to get a flush seam. after aplication you can start sanding almost right away. I have used it for years now and it never have let me down.

Cheers,

Ha! You missed oit on 20 hours modelling, fool that I am, I though things started this Saturday so receiving my model yesterday was no biggy! I shall start tomorrow and try to catch up. I had hoped to

follow your build with interest as I am using this kit as the basis for my GB.

• Like 1