Tamiya 1/48 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Bubbletop" - Lt.Col. Benjamin Mayo - Finished and in the Gallery!

Great progress Stix I,m very impressed with that cowl too,those markings must have defeated hundreds of modellers! Keep at it. :thumbsup:

I totally concur with Steve, impressive job on the cowl! :clap: You've become the Decal Master!! :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1

Great progress Stix I,m very impressed with that cowl too,those markings must have defeated hundreds of modellers! Keep at it. :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve but I've still got one more section to mess up fit so we'll see.

I totally concur with Steve, impressive job on the cowl! :clap: You've become the Decal Master!! :worthy:

Ciao

Hi Giemme and thank you too although I don't think that new name is going to stick.....pretty much like a lot of my usual decals! :winkgrin:

You've done a splendid job on the cowling decal Stix, they are a bit daunting I know. Getting close to the NMF stage now, have you decided what to use yet?

Regards

John

Thank you John. Not certain about the paints yet. I was planning to test some over last weekend but time got away from me. From past experience I know that Revell's Silver and Aluminium metallic paints go on reasonably well by brush. I haven't tried any of Humbrol's equivalents yet but I also recently picked up some Games Workshop paints to try. I'm hoping that I'll get some tested this weekend.

Looking good Stix, and wow, that's some careful decal work. Well done.

Hi Cookie and thank you. Yes it did take quite a while to get just the two sections of decal on but they were better to work with than I was expecting - I've had some awful times with more straightforward Tamiya decals than these. :fight:

I am massively impressed with the cowl decal... Hope the other works out exactly the same. Well done!

Yes how exactly are you doing the NMF?

Rob

Thank you Rob. As I mentioned to John, above, I'm currently planning on brush painting the NMF and current favourite paint to use is Revell's although that's only because I've had more experience with them and they seem to work okay. I use Humbrol's Gunmetal for most of the metalwork on my tanks so I know it works okay so hopefully their Silver and Aluminium are okay too.

I will wait and see what happens when I test them and the Citadel paints.

Magic Stix! Very well done with the cowl decal, it looks flawless :thumbsup2:

Thank you Greg you are very kind - it's not flawless......but it did tidy up pretty well!

That cowl is superb Stix!! Brilliant :goodjob:

Thank you Nigel you are very kind.

Should be interesting to see how the different paints perform when tested. My current plan is to thin them all with water and apply them with flat hairy sticks. I will try and remember to take photos to show the results.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edit: please note I have currently run out of 'likes' for the day so will add them later!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

I agree, a very nice job with that cowling decal, it looks flawless!!!!

well done! :thumbsup:

Thank you Rich but it's not flawless - as I said to Greg, above, it tidied up pretty well!

As others have said that cowl looks stunning

Thank you Skids.

Only two days in the way until the weekend! :yahoo:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I find that Gunze Mr Metal brushes very well, although I haven't used them on very large areas.

HTH

Cheers

John

Hi John. I'll see if I can get some. I'm hoping at least one of the paints I've got is up to the job but it's always worth trying others. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Great work on the cowling decals, congrats! :goodjob:

And the model is taking shape beautifully, now all main parts are glued together :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Great work on the cowling decals, congrats! :goodjob:

And the model is taking shape beautifully, now all main parts are glued together :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you - you are very kind.

Only one day until I can try and get the rest of that cowling decal in place :fight: . Can't wait! Hopefully I'll manage to get some testing done with brush painting some metallic paints too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I'll be watching closely :)

That cowling checkerboard is magnificent. :goodjob:

Thank you Jaime and Julian.

Only a couple of update photos today - things were slower than expected.

First I got the flaps built and attached:

24944670289_8e77e83c83_c.jpg

Next it was a matter of getting the last section of cowling decal on, which I then sealed with Pledge, and then I started painting a variety of the undercarriage parts:

25286105416_647ddef6ec_c.jpg

It's probably fairly evident that I'm putting off testing the metallic paints - I'll try and do some testing tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

The cowling has come out superb Stix, great job.

Very interested to see what you can do with those paints, especially with the brush,

as I might follow suit. I'm kinda liking using acrylics.

Sean

• Like 1

As expected, you did a superb job with the remaining decals on the cowling. The painting of the small parts also turned out very good.

I'm afraid I can't help with brush painting, as I only use it for details or touch ups, the main painting being airbrushed. But I'm sure you'll do a great job brush painting the metallic colours.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Well done with that cowling decal it looks really good.Stix don't fear the NMF I'm sure you'll nail it.

Cheers Allan

Hi Allan and thank you. I have done some tests with the paints I've got and the results can be seen below.

Nice, you completed the cowling - it looks awesome Stix.

Here is a link to some brush painted metal techniques from the 'Paint' section. What are you thinking of using?

Edit: You've answered that already, twice. I need to pay more attention!

Hi Cookie and thank you too. And thank you for the link - fascinating stuff. I've had a go with the acrylic paints I've got and the results show I should be able to get a reasonable finish - not airbrush quality but reasonable.

The cowling has come out superb Stix, great job.

Very interested to see what you can do with those paints, especially with the brush,

as I might follow suit. I'm kinda liking using acrylics.

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you very much. Check the results in the photo below. The results are, as I mentioned to Cookie, okay. It will be interesting doing them over a larger area though. :frantic:

That cowl!!

:Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

It will be the making of the model Stix! :)

Thank you! :blush:

As expected, you did a superb job with the remaining decals on the cowling. The painting of the small parts also turned out very good.

I'm afraid I can't help with brush painting, as I only use it for details or touch ups, the main painting being airbrushed. But I'm sure you'll do a great job brush painting the metallic colours.

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime you are very kind! :thumbsup:

that cowling is so nicely done!

Thank you too Rich.

Got a bit more done on this yesterday but first off I realised I hadn't included a photo of the side of the cowling with the final section added - so:

25328968056_13e570d7e5_c.jpg

I also did some work on the undercarriage:

25328976606_a6887858ef_c.jpg

......and I finally persuaded myself to bite the bullet and test the metallic paints I've got:

25370016285_0b3eb8ae1c_c.jpg

They all seemed to apply reasonably well with a wide, flat Humbrol brush. All were thinned with water and this is the result after two coats. They don't look that different in the photos but the best two, in terms of finish and density of colour, seem to be the Revell Aluminium and the Citadel Runefang Steel. The oddest to apply was the Humbrol Aluminium - not quite as smooth flowing as the others. It doesn't really show in this photo but the Revell Silver appears a little thin in places despite being applied in exactly the same way - it would probably need a third coat so some detail may be lost. Obviously these were tested on fairly small bits of leftover Spitfire. Next week I think I will test the Revell Aluminium and the Citadel Runefang Steel on some larger areas just to try and make a final decision.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Unfortunately acrylic silver has much larger pigments than silver based in enamel or lacquer. Acrylic is maybe fine to imitate silver dope, but bare metal is a different story.

If it has to be acrylic, then the new vallejo Metal color is worth a try. It can be brush painted too.

But have a look here, This method looks to work well by brush and gives some great results.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1