Tamiya 1/48 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Bubbletop" - Lt.Col. Benjamin Mayo - Finished and in the Gallery!

Looks great Stix. I find Tamiya kits rarely have serious fit issues, but that's not to say there isn't some imperfections. On the odd occasion when there are some slight fitting problems I've found lots of dry fitting and a little fettling solves any issues. Your Jug is going together nicely going by the photos. Good luck brush painting the metallic finish. I have always struggled with silver paint brushed on larger areas. Resorting to rattle cans is a good solution, but feels like "cheating" to a brush painter, so I guess I'm a cheat when it comes to NMF :winkgrin: . I look forward to the next bit, cheers Greg :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Looking better and better, Stix :clap:

The NMF finish doesn't look bad, although as you say you should try it on a much smoother surface.

My only concern is that there is a slight step between the main fuselage parts and tail section behind the cockpit:

.....it's nothing (less than a millimeter) that a bit of careful filing and sanding can't fix:

....but slightly annoying nonetheless as everything else fits really well.

Time for you to get an ETS? :whistle::winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looks great Stix. I find Tamiya kits rarely have serious fit issues, but that's not to say there isn't some imperfections. On the odd occasion when there are some slight fitting problems I've found lots of dry fitting and a little fettling solves any issues. Your Jug is going together nicely going by the photos. Good luck brush painting the metallic finish. I have always struggled with silver paint brushed on larger areas. Resorting to rattle cans is a good solution, but feels like "cheating" to a brush painter, so I guess I'm a cheat when it comes to NMF :winkgrin: . I look forward to the next bit, cheers Greg :thumbsup:

Hi Greg and thank you. The slight step is probably my fault for not checking properly. Before any glue was involved it looked fine but by the time the glue was on and everything held in place with Tamiya tape the step had appeared. i tried pushing and prodding in various place but it seemed like I was going to end up with a step somewhere so I figured I'd cut my losses with it being along the back - I figured it would be easier to file out in that area..........we will see........

Looking better and better, Stix :clap:

The NMF finish doesn't look bad, although as you say you should try it on a much smoother surface.

Time for you to get an ETS? :whistle::winkgrin:

Ciao

Thank you Giemme. With regards the NMF I do need to practice a lot more before I try it on the actual model. I have a fair bit of scrap to have a go at.

and.........not just yet............

Looking good Stix, I can't wait to see ow you tackle the NMF. I really like that the 1/48 kit has the turbo, what color did you paint it? It turned out very realistic.

Hi Cookie and thank you. I based my colour choice for the turbo initially on Tamiya's paint suggestion but I used about three parts of Humbrol's Gunmetal and one part Revell's matt red instead. I painted it with several thinned coats before adding a wash of Revell's Anthracite and finally dry-brushing with Humbrol's Gunmetal - it's a shame it's mostly hidden!

Nice, looks good in situ, and as the others say, looking forward to the NMF,

Sean

Thank you Sean.

Very nice work stix, your normal excellent detailed work in the CP. also looking forward to how you get your NMF sorted out

Rob

Thank you Rob too for your very kind comments.

Looking rather splendid Stix :)

Thank you Nigel.

nice work, she's looking great, will be nice to see some colour on her.

Thank you Rich - I'm going to need to do some more practicing with the paint before it actually goes on the model!

Judging by most of the comments from above there's no pressure about the NMF paint then!!!!! :frantic::winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Judging by most of the comments from above there's no pressure about the NMF paint then!!!!! :frantic::winkgrin:

Pressure? Where? When? Who? No, you must be mistaken ... :tease::D

Ciao

• Like 2

Pressure? Where? When? Who? No, you must be mistaken ... :tease::D

Ciao

:rofl::rofl: ....phew!.....that's okay then!!................for a while there I thought I might be in trouble! :blink2:

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Superb work, as always, Stix! Great seeing it shaping up.

Looking forward to your future posts :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you. How did the exam go?

First job on this over the weekend was getting the step leveled out between the area behind the cockpit and the upper fuselage/tail-plane section. Didn't take too long with a needle file and some fine wet'n'dry paper:

24388721124_09b1ce7ff8_c.jpg

It's not perfect but it's close enough.

Then there was lots of drilling with the smallest micro-drill I have and then lots of fiddling about with wire (which I stripped from some electrical cable) and CA glue. I didn't have anything else fine enough for the spark plug leads:

24926015411_1374fa3378_c.jpg

More micro-drilling:

25019306905_971131b538_c.jpg

I must admit it seemed to take for ever to get this far and Saturday's session was over before I knew it!

On Sunday it was time to add some paint and then start wiring it all together. It was a little bit of a nightmare to start with - the first wire I tried to fit broke off - not a good start. Eventually only two ended up needing repairing..........and this is the result:

24901302942_1c4c727ed7_c.jpg

.....not as neat and tidy as some of the talented modellers on here have done it but it should look reasonable once it's inside the cowling.

Speaking of which:

24388729614_cfbfb793eb_c.jpg

It is quite surprising how little can be seen of all that effort! :weep: .....but I'm pleased the detail is there.

Then I did a quick bit of test fitting - it's a testament to Tamiya how well this stays in place with no glue:

24926031931_0fe2a3dc3b_c.jpg

More next weekend.........seems such a long way away........

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Nice work on the engine Stix, but I know what you mean.....all that work and not too much can be seen!

And you're so right about the fit........it's just fantastic.

You're making great progress

• Like 1

Even less will be seen with that big propeller in front, still you know it's there. I must admit that I don't even try wiring the engine in anything smaller than 1/32, and then not very often.

You have my admiration and respect

Cheers

John

• Like 1

:wow: great job on the engine!

One thing I do when wiring, that might be helpful for you too: CA glue is great to hold everything in position, but to strengthen the bond, I judiciously use some Tamiya Green Cap to melt a bit of plastic around the wire (where appropriate)

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Great work on the engine. Even if you don't see it in the end, you know it's there and it adds to the realism of the model. I share your approach regarding detailing, so I think I can understand your efforts ;)

Thanks for asking about the exam. It was difficult, as expected, but I think I'll manage to get the certificate. I'll get the results next week and I'll let you know.

Right now I'm trying to finish my Red Baron triplane and the Royal Navy Phantom, so that I can start building my entries to the ongoing GBs. I'll post updates today or tomorrow.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice work on the engine Stix, but I know what you mean.....all that work and not too much can be seen!

And you're so right about the fit........it's just fantastic.

You're making great progress

Thank you very much Rich and I am happy I did the work really!

Even less will be seen with that big propeller in front, still you know it's there. I must admit that I don't even try wiring the engine in anything smaller than 1/32, and then not very often.

You have my admiration and respect

Cheers

John

Hi John. Yes - good point about the propeller! ...and thank you.

Its coming along great ! Keep up the good work

Thank you Hosbabon and I will try to!

:wow: great job on the engine!

One thing I do when wiring, that might be helpful for you too: CA glue is great to hold everything in position, but to strengthen the bond, I judiciously use some Tamiya Green Cap to melt a bit of plastic around the wire (where appropriate)

Ciao

Hi Giemme and thank you. I will try and get hold of some Tamiya Green Cap and have a bit of an experiment. Thank you for the advice. :thumbsup:

All that wire! Good job Stix.

Yep!! Thank you.

All that wire indeed!!

You have the patience of a saint Stix :innocent:

Thank you Nigel but you wouldn't say that if you heard what I was uttering frequently while trying to do the wiring!

Great added detail on the engine mate, and great patience as well.

I baulk at wiring a plug, so this would be to much for me... :winkgrin:

Sean

Hi Sean and thank you too! It did test my patience at times!

Hi Stix,

Great work on the engine. Even if you don't see it in the end, you know it's there and it adds to the realism of the model. I share your approach regarding detailing, so I think I can understand your efforts ;)

Thanks for asking about the exam. It was difficult, as expected, but I think I'll manage to get the certificate. I'll get the results next week and I'll let you know.

Right now I'm trying to finish my Red Baron triplane and the Royal Navy Phantom, so that I can start building my entries to the ongoing GBs. I'll post updates today or tomorrow.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you too for your comments. I have my fingers crossed for you to get a good result from your exam!

I will also be looking out for your update posts.

This weekend I'm thinking I must really have an experiment with painting metallic finish paints with good old hairy sticks! I'll post the results when I do.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Is impressive as always stix, very nice engine detail

Rob

excellent progres Stix and nice work on the wiring, gota remember that for mines :)

Thank you Rob and Wolwe. You are both very kind.

Over the weekend I spent Saturday trying to get my Crusader (in the MiB GB) as near to the finish line as I could so I could spend Sunday's modelling time on this project.

First off I made up the wings and rudder as per the instructions:

25188380065_70f0e96a97_c.jpg

Then I got the above attached:

25095129711_d3d2961d22_c.jpg

25095129301_9c15b001e0_c.jpg

These went on pretty well except for the underside of the starboard wing which had a slight step where it joined the fuselage........but nothing a bit of leverage with a small screwdriver and some glue couldn't sort out! :fight:

Then I decided I needed to find out if the large decals for the front would work - if not I was planning on changing to the other scheme in the box! First I applied some matt white paint to the cowling - I have had Tamiya decals before where the white areas don't cover the background colour that well. Next I gave this a coat of Pledge and then, after this had dried thoroughly, I started by applying the top decal. Once on I found that the cuts in the provided decal were not long enough so I had to carefully extend them, in place, with a craft knife. With care, warm water, Humbrol Decalfix and a soft paper towel I was able to get it to sit reasonably well. Next I applied the port side decal, having extended the cuts slightly before putting it in the warm water! This one was a bit more tricky to apply as it's bigger but, with some careful work, I got it on okay. Once this had dried I decided it would be safer if these two sections of decal were sealed in place with some Pledge so that, when I'm handling it it all to apply the final section of decal, it should, hopefully, be less likely to get damaged. And this is where I got to before time ran out:

25188379115_0831a6863c_c.jpg

So next week I need to get the final section on before moving on to the next stages.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11