1/144 DC10 to MD11 conversion Thai Airways

phil1

rather than buy the welsh models vacuform MD11 I'm attempting to convert Revells DC10. This is only my 2nd conversion job after modifying revells a330-300 kit to the 200 series, I'm also hoping to use the spare thai decals from the kit for the MD11

IMG_20151205_140001_zps70rnj5mo.jpg

Thats another DC10 in progress in the background soon to be aeromexico

IMG_20151205_192428_zpsgaztkbhy.jpg

before any major surgery........ the masking tape marks where the first incision needs to be made for the extended fuselage

IMG_20151205_192959_zps945asn4a.jpg

the second incision has to be made toward the rear marked in red.

IMG_20151205_194103_zpsnsgomzfx.jpg

made an error already and sawed the wrong side of the masking tape on the front section! a bit filler should see that ok, not overly concerned as I'm prepared to lose the details on the fuselage

IMG_20151206_165437_zpscxr1wjig.jpg

likely better ways to do this but I decided to extend the fuselage with spare plastic sprue and used this to shape the new area. the blue area marks where the front portion of the fuselage needs to be

IMG_20151206_170327_zpsv1k3zfkn.jpg

give it a bit slow drying super glue to give me time to slide the pieces gently into position.

IMG_20151206_170332_zpsazjbgqct.jpg

building up the rear, apologies for the photo quality!

IMG_20151206_180715_zpscqm03gd6.jpg

used some card to form the basis of the extended fuselage area. I will either use some plastic card to build it up or multiput - or a combination of both!

IMG_20151206_225040_zpsqe5wz6yk.jpg

work in progress...... looking a bit crude at the rear but early days....

IMG_20151207_190531_zpszsrueknv.jpg

started squaring off the tail, the black card forms the basis of the shape and i will multiput to get a more aesthetically pleasing result. the kit has plenty of imperfections as you can probably tell from the rudder

• Like 5

A good start, but wouldn't the Welsh kit be much simpler?!

Don't forget to reshape the cowling for engine No2 as well - they were larger and more bulged on the MD-11 in relation to the DC-10.

Will enjoy this...

Tom

Man, that's NIIICE, looking forward to this build ! I have a few early releases of the Airfix DC-10 but they don't have such sink marks, I guess you will get rid of them with thick surfacer ?

cheers dude, I'm already quite far ahead but Ive had a problem uploading so I will get the more recent progress on today. In my tired state I referred to this as revell but of course its the SAS airfix kit. I dont know if its the age of the kit but its littered with horrible imperfections but as I said I'm not too worried about losing the existing detail - hopefully a bit milliput will suffice!

A good start, but wouldn't the Welsh kit be much simpler?!

Don't forget to reshape the cowling for engine No2 as well - they were larger and more bulged on the MD-11 in relation to the DC-10.

Will enjoy this...

Tom

I think your right! Ive heard the welsh kit is a bit of a mare and I thought it would be a bit fun (and improve my very simple skills!) to do the conversion

I'm a bit more ahead now and this is the progress on the no2 engine

(pic to follow)

Ive started by using some plastic card to form the thickest part of the 'hump'

Edited by phil1
  • Like 1

Wow, you've got a lot of work ahead. Looking forward to following this build - happy building!

thank you! just going to try and be patient, hopefully that will yield better results!

winglets - i started the winglets by drawing the template

718de68a-4815-4515-918a-aef06f5ff44e_zps

then cut out and folded into shape....

IMG_20151222_160337_zpsqc9kqg8a.jpg

comparison to the real thing....

IMG_20151222_160318_zpsua9605rz.jpg

already noticed the dimensions are incorrect (thought i had measured accurately -guess not) but this serves as a decent template

IMG_20151222_163408_zpsuzohwv7x.jpg

added to the wing as well as the wing extension

IMG_20151222_163432_zpsexrdcprs.jpg

another angle on it (above)

IMG_20160103_104357_zpsuwu5l035.jpg

more up to date

IMG_20160103_104421_zpszm77eatc.jpg

Obviously the horizontal stabilizer is a lot smaller than the DC-10. I have some rough measurements and I have removed roughly the existing elevator section and some off the edge aswell

IMG_20151226_195341_zpskreguvmc.jpg

still some existing details to be smoothed out (top left) - top right has my new elevator etched in, I want the detail to be simple so I don't really want to much more etching than this

• Like 3

IMG_20160103_104343_zpszubtd81u.jpg

I've thickened the cowling on the no2 engine here, added the fairing for horizontal stabilizer (top portion will need smoothed as I had to add more due too much sanding

IMG_20160103_104536_zpsax1zke9p.jpg

similiar story on the other side - this is my 3rd attempt on these fairings, the first 2 attempts were not the results I was looking for and too be honest I'm not too pleased with these....a bit more work and perhaps I'll be a bit more satisfied.

IMG_20160103_104507_zpsxz9mzsft.jpg

another fairing on the wing this time. the existing DC-10 fairing is nearer the wing root

IMG_20160103_104503_zpsb41lxz1y.jpg

the other side

IMG_20160103_104517_zpsgjg9kmub.jpg

found it quite hard to find reference photos of the underside but tried to do my best with what I could find. the DC10 kit was second hand and did not come with the undercarriage doors (I have the outside ones and the centre ones, i have filled in the missing ones) - this aircraft will go on a display stand rather than sit on the undercarriage

notice how much filler ive had to use on the trailing edge flaps

IMG_20160103_104439_zpscgdm9gvb.jpg

I had to remove the rear part of the wing fairing due to its displacement when adding the rear extension. If I could do this again I would have concentrated on making the fuselage more 'circular' before adding my own fairing - Ive almost had to work around it.

IMG_20160103_104528_zpssqtnh7vo.jpg

apologies for the poor picture quality - another thing I wouldn't have done (if i could start again) is use the black plastic to form the fuselage plug...... it shaped well but disintegrated (in parts) when sanding. I wished i had just used filler for 100% of the external and shaped it myself IMG_20160103_104618_zpskpbuwhhd.jpg

a bit more work on the winglets

- and some more up to date pictures

IMG_20160103_104656_zpsnnwnhale.jpgIMG_20160103_104713_zpsoh9h2lhh.jpg

still LOTS to do!!!

• Like 6

Looking great so far.Top work.

A word of advice;sand away the plastic were the wing engines have to be mounted.Otherwise the engines will be too low and in the wrong angle.

Be also aware that the cabin windows on the Airfix kit are too low.If you are going to use decals for the windows ,fill up and sand the kits windows so later on you can place the windows in the correct place.

I will be enjoying this... :popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

Alex

Very enjoyable read so far. Fascinating stuff. The little detail I enjoyed the most was the band aid ( plaster? ) sitting at the ready. A required tool on many of my builds.

Cheers,

Mike

Looking great so far.Top work.

A word of advice;sand away the plastic were the wing engines have to be mounted.Otherwise the engines will be too low and in the wrong angle.

Be also aware that the cabin windows on the Airfix kit are too low.If you are going to use decals for the windows ,fill up and sand the kits windows so later on you can place the windows in the correct place.

I will be enjoying this... :popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

Alex

thank you that's invaluable info - i had no idea about the engines sitting to low, I shall amend asap, I just have to find some GE CF6-80 engines now. the A310/A300 are very similar and available on hannants, Im wondering if they'd be appropriate

although they don't look like it, the windows are filled but as you have pointed out that the decals will have to be applied higher I will have to make sure the area isnt showing anything that the decals would have covered

thanks!

Very enjoyable read so far. Fascinating stuff. The little detail I enjoyed the most was the band aid ( plaster? ) sitting at the ready. A required tool on many of my builds.

Cheers,

Mike

I never trust myself with the saw!

It's when you see the work you've done (superbly I must add...) that you realise what a different beast the MD-11 is to the DC-10.

I still reckon you'd have been better off with the Welsh kit ;)

Regarding engines, Braz does an extensive range of resin engines. I don't think he does anything specific for the MD-11, but as you state there will be some available for the A300/A310 which with a little modification would work well. There's no picture on the link below but these may be of interest:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4043

Really enjoying this!

Tom

thank you that's invaluable info - i had no idea about the engines sitting to low, I shall amend asap, I just have to find some GE CF6-80 engines now. the A310/A300 are very similar and available on hannants, Im wondering if they'd be appropriate

although they don't look like it, the windows are filled but as you have pointed out that the decals will have to be applied higher I will have to make sure the area isnt showing anything that the decals would have covered

thanks!

You are very welcome.Glad to help on your project.

Its a tremendous amount of work to convert a DC10 to a MD-11 and you did an excellent job so far.The GE CF6-80 Airbus engines will work just fine with some light modifications.