Trumpeter challenger 2 (plus)

I was going to do my Oshkosh but realised its not built here only licensed. and would probably (definitely) run over.

So... I'll do a challenger 2 to go on its trailer instead. I will use the Accurate Armour update set and some damaged wheels too. Plus some replacement tracks as i hate rubber bands and i am a masochist to boot.

Please excuse me for not getting every part and sprue out to photograph. lifes too short and i am sure there is nothing in the trumpeter and bronco boxes to surprise.

i may take proper pics of the update set if requested though.

the kit

23838285600_6b56d9a136_b.jpg

the upgrades

24025841892_1e77344f1b_b.jpg

an overview of the update set and typical this-is-what-its-supposed-to-look-like-its-up-to-you-to-decide-how-to-do-it-matey-good-luck instructions :bleh:

23766133389_50b2e3665e_b.jpg

• Like 4

this-is-what-its-supposed-to-look-like-its-up-to-you-to-decide-how-to-do-it-matey-good-luck instructions

Yep, that is a very accurate description of Accurate Armour's instructions. To quote - good luck.

• Like 1

close up on the wheels. they have just been hacked off the casting blocks, no particular cleanup done (or needed considering how "used" they are). Is the damage a bit over the top? i reckon so, although they state they really do get this bad. Still, it gives a good excuse to have it mounted on a transport but ill probably have to make the rest of the tank look a bit more used as well to match them.

23518445484_9da8923714_b.jpg

23778846559_9015f5bf01_b.jpg

No, that's not over the top, the road wheels can get this bad, though most of those would have been replaced long before that stage if in barracks. We did go through a stage in the early 2000's where we were losing whole chunks of rubber on our warriors wheels, even fairly new ones. They put it down to a bad batch, something to do with the bonding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i would spend a few hours happily assembling this. Oh No! says Mr Trumpeter not until you have spent half your life filling all the lovely BIG holes we have made in virtually every part for you. enjoy! :badmood:

23703719914_32185ca8de_b.jpg

oh and get out the plasticard while you are at it :chair:

23713749113_fb1dfa878c_b.jpg

Could be viewed as an added value feature? More modelling time per £!

Cliff

I used to think that as well but now I must be getting lazy and prefer kits which feature parts that are the correct shape and don't require major surgery and reworking :lol:

• Like 2

Could be viewed as an added value feature? More modelling time per £!

Cliff

Now I had never thought of it like that! :evil_laugh: But I am quite capable of taking a ridiculous amount of time to finish a kit without Trumpeters " help".

• Like 1

suspension arms have been filled and mounted. Not much else as i am waiting for the fiiller to cure in various other bits and i have a problem I need advice on.

The idea is to mount this on a King trailer. the rear locations for the chains I am Ok with, BUT.... the front has the tier 1 armour as in the pic. this means the towing eyes are gone.

Can anyone tell me where the chains go when this is on a trailer for transport?

24005771649_8fde5bc5f5_b.jpg

I used to think that as well but now I must be getting lazy and prefer kits which feature parts that are the correct shape and don't require major surgery and reworking :lol:

Now where is the joy in that :winkgrin:

• Like 1

suspension arms have been filled and mounted. Not much else as i am waiting for the fiiller to cure in various other bits and i have a problem I need advice on.
The idea is to mount this on a King trailer. the rear locations for the chains I am Ok with, BUT.... the front has the tier 1 armour as in the pic. this means the towing eyes are gone.
Can anyone tell me where the chains go when this is on a trailer for transport?

Wrapped around the most easily accessible solid bit you can reach that isn't broken or plastered in mud :)

Now where is the joy in that :winkgrin:

Having butchered my fair share of featureless plastic over the years I'm now in a great position to appreciate accurate, well detailed, easily assembled kits. Alas a considerable majority of them are subjects which hold no interest to me so the scratch-building tools and materials still get a regular airing :lol:

• Like 1

Wrapped around the most easily accessible solid bit you can reach that isn't broken or plastered in mud :)

and therein lies the problem - there is nothing i can see thats solid enough. there are two holes in each side of the added armour mounting plate, is that where the hooks would go. i am at the point of just building it and buying something else to put on the trailer that i am more confident will mount easily

23819686984_f27d566321_o.jpg

• Like 1

still doin prep work and trying to work out exactly what to do with it.

front plate just did not fit, probably due to my cack=handed assembly, so had to shim it and re-shape.

24448516105_049e644b03_o.jpg

not a massive improvement, but ok

24422304956_3e7906d835_o.jpg

rear deck part was an awful fit with gaps all the way round so out with the plasticard to blank it off.

24366059411_a272cc225c_o.jpg

Gun cover is much better, but shame there is no sag in the bellows.

23820324124_80b1af1538_o.jpg
  • Like 1

and therein lies the problem - there is nothing i can see thats solid enough. there are two holes in each side of the added armour mounting plate, is that where the hooks would go. i am at the point of just building it and buying something else to put on the trailer that i am more confident will mount easily

23819686984_f27d566321_o.jpg

Yes feed the hooks into that hole as the mounting points are just inside. Alternatively wrap around the suspension arm for the front wheel if that was the only option.

• Like 1

Yes feed the hooks into that hole as the mounting points are just inside. Alternatively wrap around the suspension arm for the front wheel if that was the only option.

Aha! The light has just gone on in my head, I wondered what the holes were there for, you are a genius. You just saved me about £100 ( though I'll probably get the challenger arrv anyway as it looks so cool).

Now onward and upward. CHEERS COL!

It really is one of those Trumpeter kit isn't it! :shutup:

REALLY! :sick: nothing fits that well but nothing that cant be fixed. some of the parts and details leave a lot to be desired too, even the side bins were cr*p. ans as for he hinges on the rear deck. :puke:

Oh don't worry I'll kick it into some sort of shape, but I am coming across so much that disappoints me I am tempted to throw a tarp over the turret and be done with it.

I'll post a few pics of the horror tomorrow.

• Like 1