Home made light box

DannyB

When I picked up the new camera I was convinced that is was going to solve the quality of my pictures, but a bit of experimenting and digging about I realised that it's all part of a much bigger picture (pun not intended but happy accident ;) )!

So, my mission for today was to build my own light-box as cheaply as I can without it being too ghetto!

3x A1 size 5mm foamex boards, a new sheet of blue card, 2x Very cheap lamps from argos, plenty of white duc-tape, some tissue paper, and an afternoons efforts, here she sits. :D

DSC_0080resize_zps0r5t4hyo.jpg

And, here's some shots from inside the new box!

DSC_0022resize_zpswas0kryz.jpg

DSC_0048resize_zpsvxxyhsmh.jpg

DSC_0062resize_zpswtfsctn4.jpg

DSC_0076resize_zpsgj7tadww.jpg

I'm still learning my way round the camera and experimenting with the best settings to get the colours right, but I'm really pleased by how much of difference just a few hours work has made!

• Like 5

Great idea Danny and a very nice models.

I have a similar set up with out the side walls and that works well. Hope you do not mind if I give a bit of advice on the lighting.

Generally bulbs on offer are in the region of 2500 kelvin which rate their colour. The 2500 is yellow range and a soft colour. You can

get now both in the old bayonet and screw in bulbs LED's. Apart from using less than 10% electricity they can also be obtained

in around the 6000kelvin. This gives very close to daylight and gives a blue range. I find it gives a more realistic feel to photos of model

aircraft.

Laurie

Cheers guys. :)

Thanks for the tip Laurie, I've used 2800k halogen bulbs just because of what was the easiest and cheapest to get hold of in small screw size. But, as I get more familiar with the camera I will explore different bulbs. :thumbsup2:

The shots are straight out of the camera, no photoshop raw hokey-pokey, just downsized (it shots at 6000x4000 pixels :yikes: ) and uploaded. :)

Most excellent.

I agree; if and when you can change to 'day light' LED bulbs. No messing with colour/white balance then.

I changed and it makes life easier

Even if you can't get LED bulbs in your lamp fittings you can get adaptors for about 99p.