Inpact 1/48 Fairey Flycatcher - First Group Build

Here's my first entry, if time permits I may go for a second one too, but will leave details of that until I know if it can be done in time.

Here's the ubiquitous box shot:

IMG_20160102_133958_zpskrcxkbpc.jpg

And the contents therein, I bought it second hand and the upper wing had been glued together, but it came apart fairly easily, the only other parts already assembled are the pilot pieces.

IMG_20160102_134115_zps5yly0b9p.jpg

The kit also includes a stand and a small roll of invisible thread for rigging, don't know if the thread was supplied with the kit originally or if the previous owner provided it.

IMG_20160102_134159_zpsmyfbpt7b.jpg

And this is the decal I'll be using:

DSC_2495_zpstyzuijeg.jpg

I'm intending to build it virtually out of the box, with just a little scratchbuilding to replace a couple of missing parts or to replace poor representations of certain parts. If I go down the detailing route I just know I'll get bogged down and never finish it in time.

Thanks for looking.

Ant

• Like 7

Ant,

Looking forward to this one.

I have the Impact Fury/Bulldog and Gladiator, and though these are from the 1960's were ahead of their time imo.

regards

Paul

They certainly were. I'm closed up and cleared away for this build.

• Like 1

Ant,

I have the Impact Fury/Bulldog and Gladiator, and though these are from the 1960's were ahead of their time imo.

regards

Paul

Yep, you're not wrong there, and it's no surprise that so many companies had a go at releasing them, some of the details are a bit simplified but they build well and look good when finished.

The instructions also include a rigging guide, it took some companies another 30/40 years to consider including them.

Happy modelling

Ant

You'r very brave, that's a very old kit toi tinker with as your 'first' build in the GB...

Colin

Hi Colin,

My first group build, definitely not my first build, I'm a bit too long in the tooth for that.

As my completion rate in recent years is nigh on nil (it's amazing how much of my spare time is eaten up by my 5 year old daughter), I've set myself a target of 3 GB's this year, this one the Helo one (Airfix 1/48 Lynx AH.7 Ruyal Marines) and the Red Storm Rising one (Academy 1/48 MiG-21MF (or more correctly MiG-21bis)).

I'm hoping meeting deadlines will urge me to completion.

Cheers

Ant

Nice choice of subject Ant. From what I've read previously that reel of thread is indeed part of the original kit.

We are getting a good selection of biplanes coming through in this GB already; something I've not seen for quite a while.

• Like 1

I have 2 of these in the stash, both fairly recent additions (couple of years). One thing that's on my list of 'must improve' are the guns. I've been looking at the Gaspatch Models range, and trying to work out which ones I need to best replace the somewhat blobby kit versions. The rest of the kit is quite nice, despite its age.

I'm watching this one, too.

And hoping against hope that Wingnut Wings run out of Great War esoterica and make a start on interwar biplanes. One of these in 32nd... I'd buy 2, at least.

• Like 1

Nice choice of subject Ant. From what I've read previously that reel of thread is indeed part of the original kit.

We are getting a good selection of biplanes coming through in this GB already; something I've not seen for quite a while.

Cheers Col, I do have another Flycatcher in the Pyro boxing, that doesn't have the thread, for this build I might try to use the provided thread but may go the stretch sprue route.

I have 2 of these in the stash, both fairly recent additions (couple of years). One thing that's on my list of 'must improve' are the guns. I've been looking at the Gaspatch Models range, and trying to work out which ones I need to best replace the somewhat blobby kit versions. The rest of the kit is quite nice, despite its age.

I'm watching this one, too.

And hoping against hope that Wingnut Wings run out of Great War esoterica and make a start on interwar biplanes. One of these in 32nd... I'd buy 2, at least.

Hi Rob, funnily enough I've got 2 kits too, at one time I did have a set of Aeroclub replacement guns, but to be honest they weren't much better detailed. I'll have a look at the Gaspatch ones and see if there are any suitable.

Have you seen the Silver Wings 1/32 kit, admittedly it's a resin kit but detail is fantastic. I'll be using their online build guide for reference along the way.

Thanks for looking in.

Ant

A great choice Ant.

How are the surfaces of the parts? From the photo it looks as though there is a fair amount of shrinkage (e.g. on the wings), or maybe it is just 'swirls' within the silver pigment of the plastic?

Cliff

• Like 1

A great choice Ant.

How are the surfaces of the parts? From the photo it looks as though there is a fair amount of shrinkage (e.g. on the wings), or maybe it is just 'swirls' within the silver pigment of the plastic?

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

The surface is pretty good, there are a couple of ejector pin marks on the wing and tailplane undersurfaces, but nothing a bit of filler won't fix. The actual surface texture is excellent with perhaps the best representation of fabric I've seen in a kit, it is very understated almost to the point of invisibility, in fact a primer coat may well render it invisible.

I haven't made any progress today as I've been dragged out to exchange some ill-fitting Christmas pressies and do the return to work/school grocery shop.

I'm hoping to spend an hour this evening knocking up some replacement rods for the engine and work out if any other parts are missing or need replacing.

I'll post photos as soon as I have something to show.

Happy modelling.

Ant

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a little slow due to family commitments (swimming lessons and panto on Saturday, beachcombing with the girls and Jenny our dog yesterday), but managed to get half an hour on the Flycatcher last night.

Made up some replacement valve rods for the engine, as there were a few missing from the kit.

I'm considering adding just a little bit of detail inside the fuselage to simulate the framework under the skin.

Among the other parts missing are the control column and the instrument panel, the former is relatively easy to produce, but need to do some research on the panel before scratchbuilding a new one.

I'll post some photos once I have something tangible to show.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well due to work and family commitments, I've made pretty negligible progress on this build, so unless something drastic occurs in the next fortnight, I can't see me finishing this one in the allotted time. If its OK, I will either continue to plug away at it and update this thread as and when or alternatively I'll put it to one side and pick iy up when the next KUTA GB comes along.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Ant but know how it is. Hope you are able to find more free time in the near future and return to this one.