Hawker Hartbeest, SAAF in East Africa, AZ & A-model kitbush 1/72

i

This is number five, the final one of my series entitled “mass production of Hawker Hart family”. Beginning of work (but not the end) I presented in thread on this title. This is also my last model done in 2015 (out of 13).

The model is a cross-kiting of part from AZ Hawker Hind and A-Model Hawker Hart. Well, frankly speaking it is even a bit more complicated. At the start I had FOUR kits: A-model (ex Avis) Hector and Hart and AZ Swedish Hart B-4 and Hind. In Hind box there were two fuselages – for radial Hart B-4 with right side MG and fuselage for RR Kestrel-driven Hind. In all boxes there was a lot of spare parts. However, to produce out of it FIVE models I had to produce by myself resin copies of upper wing, lower wings, haorizontal stabilizers. To unify “small” fins of Hector, Hartbeest and Hart Trainer I had to copy also one fin. Moreover I had to copy also undercarriage struts. The latest went to one of radial Audaxes – Avro 674. The presented here Hartbeest got resin wings (top wing I copied from AZ – since it was a single wing) and bottom wings I copied from A-model due to armament attachments points present there (not present in AZ wing). Horizontal stabilizers I also copied from A-model. The fuselage (with added right side gun) I took from AZ. Wheels are from AZ Hind, propeller from A-model (spare part from Hector). Fin is also a resin copy from A-model instead of to much Fury-like AZ one. The main cooler is from A-model with some scratch additions, the oil cooler is made of two AZ coolers… (resin copies). Wing struts and u/c is basicly (!) from A-model (except the axes), Windscreen for gunner as well as side windows are made of ClearFix. Sorry - I will not boring more with all this building details…

The markings are from SAAF (a/c 846, Q), East African campaign 1940.

Dacals from drawer (Airfix Maruder, small orange circles from Fokker XXI by Techmod etc...)

Bombs from Airfix Swordfish

hartbeest DSC05918hartbeest DSC05919hartbeest DSC05920hartbeest DSC05922hartbeest DSC05924

Here is the whole “mass producted Hawker Hart family” – Persian Audax, Egiptian Avro 674, RAF Hector from France, RAF Hart trainer fro Habbaniya and SAAF Hartbeest…

hart family DSC05930hart family DSC05928hart family DSC05927

Comments welcome

Regards and best wishies for all BMM for New Year 2016!

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 21

Very nice, J-W! One on my list to finish (I've started a Hartbees[t], I just need to get the wings on). And the 'Harts' all look good together - I think that Persian Audax is my favourite.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thank you Gents for comments and likes - I appreciete it very much.

The radial Audaxes was something I was planning to build since ages, almos whole holocene... :) Finnaly I've done them. Hector I like due to his oddity. Ugly duckling. However the Hartbeest (as also Hind, Demon and other Kestrel driven especially those with sloped gunner position) is for me the most elegant in shapes - it has some "flavour" or "taste" of following them Hurricanes...

The rigging is by EZ - this is really a nice stuff. I've bought it this summer, it was not cheep and in Poland it is available only in one Internet shop - but it makes rigging really a nice job...- finally . So I am happy with new possibilities which it opens and I am doing biplanes now (mostly) :)

Cheers

J-W,

• Like 2

Very nice, but don't your exhausts point into the wrong direction ?

:) - Actually - no. This is so called "ram horn exhaust" which was introduces to some variants of RR Kestrel engines - not only in Hartbeest but also in HP Heyfords or Fairey Hendon.

For example photos and drawings here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913559-172nd-contrail-fairey-hendon/page-4

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958756-handley-page-heyford-reference-material-needed/page-2

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61982-handley-page-heyford-camouflage/page-3

I admit - it looks bizarre :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1