Tamiya 1/48 Cromwell - Operation Crusader 1943

23902679310_8f50cc66ab_o.jpg

Armour modellers of a sensitive disposition should perhaps look away now!

Still here? Right.

This was a commission build for a friend, intended to represent the upgunned Cromwell depicted in the World of Tanks game. The in-game tank has the option of mounting the Vickers 75mm High Velocity gun. This gun used a 3-inch AA gun cartridge, necked down to take US 75mm ammunition. Historically, there actually was the intention to fit this gun to the Cromwell, but it was discovered rather late that the turret was too small. In what-if world of course, anything is possible.

Perhaps the fall of Malta in 1942 puts a serious damper on the progress of the desert campaign. Without the interdiction of supplies to the Afrika Korps, preparations for the Allied offensive in North Africa are seriously hindered, resulting in at least a year's delay to the build up of forces in Egypt. It does however mean that the new Cromwell cruiser can be giving its first taste of action; it proving a worthy opponent to the long barrelled PzIV and the heavy Tigers of the DAK.

Anyway, all just an excuse to give the Cromwell a fancy Caunter scheme and a more serious looking shooter. ;) The Tamiya kit was almost flawless as you might expect. The gun is a shortened 17-pounder from RB Model.

23569964874_85d8e7796c_c.jpg

23569962704_f16f176702_c.jpg

23902545220_ab8308b1f6_c.jpg

23902545320_409fca7f4e_c.jpg

Added 06/01/16:

23570400424_d2b0f665cc_c.jpg

regards,

Jason

Edited by JasonC
  • Like 31

Excellent! It looks like a halfway house between a Cromwell and a Comet. It's good to see so much 1:48 scale armour on the forums too :)

I think it's the natural jumping off point for aircraft modellers that build in 1/48. :)

Lovely job! Looks great, your mate must be pleased . I prefer the Cromwell B in game now though (original Cromwell still has the most battles fought still though!).

I agree, love the Cromwell. It's the tank I get the best results in by a long way.

Fantastic looking cromwell, great job on the scheme and finish. Very nice work .

Your work is always a joy to see, nice one!

Dan

Excellent build !

I always thought that the Cromwell was a good looking tank. Your up-gunned version has made it look meaner and even better!

Thanks chaps. :)

J.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I really like this.

Question - did you use a black pin wash? I really like the contrast of your wash against the dark green part of the finish. My typiical go-to colors for pin washes are browns, and I really disliked how they looked on some Russian and British armor i've been working on.

• Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 04:21, SoftScience said:

I really like this.

Question - did you use a black pin wash? I really like the contrast of your wash against the dark green part of the finish. My typiical go-to colors for pin washes are browns, and I really disliked how they looked on some Russian and British armor i've been working on.

Thanks. It was a while ago, but from memory the washes were dark grey and dark brown. I rarely use black as it can be a little stark. As far as brown goes, the exact shade can make a big difference. A grimy desaturated brown usually looks better than a rich red brown against most camouflage colours.