Stormy Skies - Part 2: Tempest Mk V (Academy 1/72)

jrlx

EDIT:

This build was started in the Made in Britain GB, back in 2016. As usual with me, I didn't manage to finish it in time and it's been on hold till now. I'll try to finish it now.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

This is my second entry to this GB and constitutes the second of a two-part series.This one is Academy's 1/72 Tempest Mk V, which I'll build as flown by F/Lt Pierre Clostermann, of 3 Sqn RAF (Free French Air Force), in July 1945 . His aircraft was marked JF-E NV724. The first part of the series is a D-Day Typhoon Mk Ib.

Here is an interview with Pierre Clostermann.

I'll build the kit using Eduard's zoom set and Quickboost's resin exhausts:

y4mZlWjpVlkUkEzc8E1nEKXyWsDdXQ5EvNzandJg

IMAG0648

y4mlEiLIt0yOlT1_i0hZYJgwP52ykLgG9EFjdCI-

IMAG1654

In April I primed and painted the resin exhausts for the Typhoon and the Tempest. This was done at the same time as I painted the exhausts for my Bf 109 G10, like shown in the next picture:

y4marNKbql79m_OYLWdT6vDf2IrYLnQ-3NR-lYKx

IMAG1808

No additional work has been done. The plastic parts are all still in the sprues.

I'll try to build the tubular cockpit structure using styrene rods. I'll use the Typhoon's zoom set cockpit structure as a guide for the rod lengths. Let's see if I can make it.

I'll also try to scratch build the flaps to pose them dropped.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
Thread moved from the Made in Britain GB 2016
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Always happy to see this kit come together on here Jamie. 

It has some quite minor issues that are easily tweaked, but overall it a lovely Tempest kit.

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Thank you for your interest. I'm afraid I still haven't managed to resume this build. I've been very busy since mid-February and all my modelling time has been devoted to working on my still to be finished Dornier Do-24 flying boat.

In the meantime I've bought Resin Art's exterior resin set and Master's cannon and pitot tube set. The resin set comes with a replacement tail plane, so I now have this one and the kit's and can use one of them to replace the Typhoon kit's wrong sized tail plane.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Buying aftermarket for a project is progress Jamie ;) 

Thanks, Col.! That's a very kind view :)

Now I just need to find the time to resume building!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1