Stormy Skies - Part 1: Typhoon Mk Ib D-Day (Academy 1/72)

jrlx

EDIT:

This build was started in the Made in Britain GB, back in 2016. As usual with me, I didn't manage to finish it in time and it's been on and off the bench since then. I'll try to finish it now.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

This is my first entry to this GB [EDIT: the 2016 edition of the Made in Britain GB] and constitutes the first of a two part series. This one is Academy's 1/72 Typhoon Mk Ib, which i'll build in D-Day striped camouflage, as flown by Wing Commander R E P Brooker, the No. 123 Wing Leader. His aircraft was marked MN570 ‘B’. The second part of the series is a Tempest Mk V.

Here is an article about Typhoon operations during the Normandy Invasion. There's a picture of the aircraft at the end of the article and here is a hi-res version. Here is a profile of the aircraft. The aircraft was armed with under-wing unguided rockets for ground attack.

The Academy kit comes in a double boxing, commemorating D-Day, from which I already built the Spitfire Mk XIV. I'll be using Eduard's Zoom set for the Typhoon, as well as Quickboost's resin exhausts:

y4mTr6C_i5zBHktr4MljdMvbMtov4SD1AHzTN3gAy4mHYzkZTOWt8Expe7wNzM7STFJAmNP32y_fnaDv

IMAG1512                       IMAG1656

I've already took the fuselage and wing parts off the sprues for a test fit. This was done back in March, when I was building the Spit and intended to start the Typhoon right after, which didn't happen. Regarding fit, everything fits well apart from a small gap between the front of the wing parts and the fuselage on the right side.

y4mxU-iSD-NCGjvO-qFDu1tye7lF_A5i280bwbIs

IMAG1551

These parts, the tail plane parts and the control stick are now waiting for the build to start:

y4maIdALH-r7gqto07oVd6YK-kX1QDrCn00ksbj2

IMAG1552

y4mCWFzbo_CgHlB4WzrUTX8_n7Bghm4yrD43dga1

IMAG1553

In April I also primed and painted the resin exhausts for the Typhoon and the Tempest. This was done at the same time as I painted the exhausts for my Bf 109 G10, like shown in the next picture:

y4mIiMo9GIT36OPzkNTqs2ISVOnrruVkQA0VBl3X

IMAG1808

I used Alclad's Grey Primer and Alclad's Burnt Iron for the exhausts.

The plan is to start building in the next few days.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
Thread moved from the Aircraft WIP area, started in the Made in Britain GB 2016
  • Like 11

Hi Stu,

Yes, I'm still struggling with unfinished builds... But being the incorrigible optimist that I'm, I'm sure I can add a few more to the shelf of doom ;)

Anyway, these two were stowed away in the boxes by the bench since March, so I thought this GB would be a good excuse to finally build them :)

Cheers

Jaime

Good evening Jaime

Be careful if you want to build Brooker aircraft you should use late style stabilizers like these https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148288-quickboost-qb-72-118-hawker-typhoon-mk-ib-late-stabilizer

you can also use Tempest stabilizers if you have some in your spare box  ..

I will build the Airfix Typhoon and the Academy Tempest ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Be careful if you want to build Brooker aircraft you should use late style stabilizers like these https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148288-quickboost-qb-72-118-hawker-typhoon-mk-ib-late-stabilizer

you can also use Tempest stabilizers if you have some in your spare box  ..

Thank you for the warning, Patrice! I'll order the quickboost stabilizers, as I'll need the Tempest ones for my companion Tempest build.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Another worthy project that deserves to be finished. Welcome to the GB Jamie.

Thank you, Col.! Hopefully, this time I'll manage to finish this one and the companion Tempest build :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg in OK said:

The Typhoon in 1/72   Great looking kit, looking forward to your build!

Thanks for your interest, Greg! I hope to do justice to the aircraft.

Cheers

Jaime

A good little kit this one Jaime certainly look's like a Typhoon and I like the panel lines on it,I think there were moans about the sit of the U/C

being a little high, on mine it's noticable stood next tothe Airfix kit but minimal to be honest.

Edited by stevej60
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

A good little kit this one Jaime certainly look's like a Typhoon and I like the panel lines on it,I think there were moans about the sit of the U/C

being a little high, on mine it's noticable stood next tothe Airfix kit but minimal to be honest.

Hi, Steve! Thanks for your interest and comments! It's great having you on board!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choice Jamie. 

Can I be a Pedant and highlight some Typhoon Exhaust issues? 

The kits parts (and what appears to be the replacement Quickboost ones - I cannot make these out clearly in your photos) are moulded with a raised panel around the exhaust stubs. 

This option is restricted to earlier Typhoon serials and not ones which would have been equipped with 4 blade props or Tempest tailplanes. 

If your exhaust stubs have this raised ridge, then it's not quite right. If my eyes are playing tricks on me than ignore this post! 

Happy to help clarify matters if you need further 'bubble' top canopy advice. There was a great supplement in a previous Airfix Modelworld issue that lists all these small differences very well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave ( @Rabbit Leader ),

Thanks for your interest and for the heads up on the Typhoon exhausts. Also, sorry for my late reply but I've been extremely busy since mid-February and any free time I had for modelling was reserved for actual bench work instead of updating my WIP threads.

I took a few pictures of the exhausts, both the kit's and the resin upgrades.

Here are the kit's exhausts in detail:

y4mv4eqVTcgADEcZ3ecakeZ11Gk7K-uZv7OW9qkE

IMAG5269

y4mK9DSW_DIpHRm2aDcGj-zSVtm-5VQyhmt_tTFV

IMAG5270

As can be seen, they are a poor representation of the real thing and are moulded directly on the fuselage surface. In order to install the resin exhausts, the kit's exhausts must be extracted by cutting the fuselage along the panel line that envelops the exhausts. Next, the resin exhausts must be installed from the inside.

Here are detailed pictures of the resin exhausts:

y4mNSsnfksTR-SQt9aQpHty8kBr13suBSoHem2d2

IMAG5271

y4maoxsl2FT3ki5spzZ5jsdtxM_LQ-8ZQO1yPPAe

IMAG5274

As you correctly pointed out, there are indeed raised ridges along the exhaust sides. Since the parts will be installed from the inside of the fuselage, I think the ridges will serve as guides to glue the exhausts to the inner surface of the fuselage parts. So, they won't be visible and will allow for the base of the exhaust pipes to be slightly recessed, as shown in the picture of the Typhoon I'm modelling:

FLM-3107.jpg

Pictures of late Typhoons in my reference book (Valiant Wings volume on the Typhoon), also seem to show this kind of exhausts.

Please correct me if I'm not right regarding this assessment and let me know where can I find additional references.

Thanks again.

Jaime

• Like 4

Jaime,

I also apologise for not getting back to you a little earlier as well. I've had some surgery of late (nothing major) however the very slow recovery has left me a little less enthused to do too much. Now getting back to your Typhoon - I am now viewing these images on a larger desktop and can see things quite a bit clearer. I think my initial opinion about the raised exhaust edging was more to do with the resin cast block rather than the exhaust bits that you will be left with once this block was removed.

I'm now also thinking that prior to going to all the trouble of cutting out the kits exhausts, that perhaps these items would look better with just a quick file to the top and bottom to better represent the correct Typhoon exhausts as illustrated in the above photograph? Your resin exhausts seem to have a raised and rounded look that just don't look right (IMO). Are these resin exhausts specifically for a Typhoon or are they for some other aircraft type?

Again - I'm sorry for possibly adding further confusion to your build. At the end of the day, I'm only looking a certain photographs from certain angles so may be interpreting these all wrong. At worst you could file the kits parts first and if they look OK - then leave them, if not - chop them out?

Cheers.. Dave    

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope you're recovering well and get to full throttle soon!

Regarding the resin exhausts, they are the Quickboost resin exhausts for the Academy Typhoon, so they should look better than the moulded detail in the kit. Looking at the picture of the real aircraft above, I agree with you: at least at first inspection, the resin exhausts don't look like the real thing. But the aircraft is a bit far away from the photographer, while the resin exhausts were photographed at a big magnification, so there may be some issues here due to the different scales. I'll take a look at other pictures in my reference book to try and reach a conclusion.

Anyway, if the resin parts end up considered as inaccurate, your suggestion for using the kit's exhausts sounds feasible.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi again,

I've been busy working on my Tiger Moth, which is approaching the finish line. I intend to use the opportunity of the D-Day 75th Anniversary GB to finally build my Typhoon, so I'm reviving this thread after a long slumber.

First, I'll try to clarify the questions raised about the exhausts.

From my references (Valiant Wings' excellent book on the Typhoon, now with a second edition), late Typhoons could have three kinds of exhaust configurations.

1. The Typhoons came out of factory with exhausts covered by streamlined fairings, like this:

Typhoon-4.jpg

2. Most operational Typhoons got the fairings removed, as this made maintenance easier. Here's a picture, where the attachment holes of the fairing are still visible around the exhausts:

Typhoon-rearmed.jpg

3. Some operational typhoons got a different type of fairing installed, with individual covers for each exhaust pipe, like this:

typ24.jpg

The picture of the bird I'm modelling is this (again):

FLM-3107.jpg

I believe the exhaust configuration here is the no-fairing case, as in picture 2 above.

The resin exhausts I have, after a coat of Alclad Exhaust Manifold, followed by a mist of Alclad Pale Burnt Metal, look like this:

y4mUw6-i2Mx6ms4RnMKLR-bQwV_a1QkciyAqQifR

IMAG5274

I think they look good enough, at scale, to be used in the model (here they are extremely enlarged).

Hopefully, I'll resume work on this build in a week or two.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll be here and waiting Jaime :) 

Thanks Ced! You're always very welcome on board :)

As per my usual approach, I'll complicate this build as much as possible by adding PE flaps, resin wheels and radiator, PE mesh air intake, resin propeller, brass cannons and vacform canopy. All this in addition to the originally planned interior PE details and resin exhausts. All post pictures of all these goodies in a future update.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Thanks Ced! You're always very welcome on board :)

As per my usual approach, I'll complicate this build as much as possible by adding PE flaps, resin wheels and radiator, PE mesh air intake, resin propeller, brass cannons and vacform canopy. All this in addition to the originally planned interior PE details and resin exhausts. All post pictures of all these goodies in a future update.

Cheers

Jaime

I wouldn’t expect anything less.  Looking forward to this

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

I wouldn’t expect anything less.  Looking forward to this

Rob

Thank you very much, Rob! I'll do my best not to disappoint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I've finally managed to finish my Tiger Moth early in August. So, I resumed work on the Typhoon. While it was stored away in the shelf of doom, I bought several additional after market items to improve the detail or correct inaccuracies of the kit. I'll start by showing all the AM stuff I'll be using (apart from the Quickboost resin exhausts, which are already painted and discussed in previous posts).

First, we have the Eduard PE set, which was available at the start of the build but is shown here in greater detail:

y4mN3aG8_2obEl-BiiDPsh6c7l5sg3Z6BLcqUCiM

IMAG6403

I'll also try to adapt the PE flaps for the Airfix Typhoon:

y4mHm3usXhEMs7Rw-i7V1OaA5Uhcv_4AeARz0OIk

IMAG6404

I bought the canopy and wheel masks as well:

y4mjBowUnBVIE_uVDWryODAgBTJYTugem9N3W9UW

IMAG6405

The kit's cannons will be replaced by Master's brass versions:

y4mcYJ4sY7D7fN8aZf9m0YiY5yjg25gQNE7Gfaxm

IMAG6406

Following the advice of my reference book, I bought the Resin Art replacement propeller:

y4m3_nYVXpa-6kNcafBBf0yXzHHGPYXEdFOOlLAv

IMAG6407

and also the resin parts for the radiator, wheels and pitot tube:

y4mSbq3LWo09QHd5NWsEMn8TSErRQmq7tS7Rdive

IMAG6408

The air intake mesh had been bought several months before:

y4mccaEmMrSoFp0oNFmLIpWBrmditGuntiOXs-Go

IMAG6409

My reference book says the kit's canopy has the wrong shape. So, I bought a replacement vac form canopy by Taurus. Unfortunately, at first sight it seems to be just a vac form version of the kit's canopy. I'll have to check it better at a later phase of the build.

y4mmJd-1fpBFx-rWnPVAPlf584DiJ_lGjUQfJw5A

IMAG6410

Finally, the other big inaccuracy of the kit is the tail plane stabilisers, which, in a late Typhoon, should be the same as the ones used in the Tempest. I have an Academy Tempest for which I bought Resin Art's exterior detailing set with separate tail plane, control surfaces, wheel wells, flaps, etc. So, I have the Tempest kit's tail plane parts that could be used in the Typhoon:

y4mqJNa2SlNIIO40Ya6lEZAfsHVbx9U4yf529Mly

IMAG6411

However the mating surfaces between the tail plane parts and the fuselage are not the same for the Typhoon and Tempest, as can be seen in this picture:

y4mW7XRoqfIKdH6E_ssZ4Cc1q_jOV4QaHGWvmMJy

IMAG6412

The adaptation seems to be a bit tricky. So, after some consideration, I searched eBay and found the Quickboost replacement resin tail plane for the Academy Typhoon (apparently the set is no longer being produced and is difficult to track down).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice to see this one back on the bench Jaime and I'm looking forward to all that AM! :) 

Thanks, Ced! In fact I've progressed a bit just before going on holidays. I'll post an update today or tomorrow. I won't get back to the bench for another week, so I don't know if I'll be able to finish the build before the D-Day GB deadline. I'd like to build the Tempest in parallel, with some scratch building of the cockpit tubular structure, but we'll see.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3