BAe Warton development Lightning

Kes

This is my placeholder for the Great British Airfix 1/72 English Electric Lightning F2a, although mine will be built as F3a XP693 an aircraft retained by the manufacturer for research and trials work until being sold to 'Classic Jets' in '92.

Not the most interesting Lightning to look at in it's overall polished aluminium compared with the many and varied colours and camo's carried by this cold war stalwart through over thirty years service, but few other would've had such a long and varied interesting career as this one at Warton and Boscombe Down.

Watch this space!!

. . . Dave

The obligatory and traditional sprue shot!!

Just the one photo, I'm sure most of you are aware of this kit?

This is probably my most modern kit build? a 2013 vintage from the continually improving 'renaissance' Airfix and I for one am completely grateful to them for their recent new releases!

Has anyone noticed the gift set version of this kit has fewer decal options??

DSC_0612.jpg

My references will be . . .

Modelers Data File, The English Electric Lightning, Richard J Caruana

Aircraft Special, Lightning, Roger Lindsay

Aeroguide 8 BAC Lightning F Mk3/Mk6, Linewrights

Lightning, The Operational History, Kev Darling (XP693 on the front cover!)

English Electric P1 Lightning, R P Beamont

the world wide web and importantly my fellow modelers here on the mighty 'Britmodeller'!

. . . Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken some time to get this one going having another 'group build' to complete elsewhere and some research on my part in studying the anatomy of this cold war icon in 1/72. I plan on building this one with those awful overwing tanks! Unfortunately the F2a version of this kit doesn't include the sprue which is included in the F6 kit, a scan round eBay secured me a copy of the final version of the Lightning and the parts I require . . .

This is probably the most modern kit I've yet started, I'm impressed with the level of detail and the fit of the parts so far, the Lightning has long been a favorite of mine and I'm quite familiar with the type. My last lightning was a Matchbox T55 Airfix F1a cross kitted T4 build, this one has tiny details not considered in the CBK's of old! The bicycle type brake lever in the control column, air sensor and gun camera on the radar shock cone mountings, some may think these are moulding imperfections?? Fantastic detail!!

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0640.jpg

I for one am extremely grateful to Airfix for this miniature marvel!!

. . . Kes (properly enjoying this one!)

• Like 4

This thing goes together quite well, just have to look for the tiny little bit of flash that makes the difference between a good fit and a narrow gap!! The cockpit intake nose gear bay assembly took a little work to get settled in right with some judicious tweaking with a No.11 blade. The parts breakdown is sensible for a kit that could be employed in producing a range of alternate versions, sprue layout is well thought out too on the whole with most gates being hidden with assembly on mating surfaces. No real problems so far, Time for some 'Polished Aluminium' before hanging the dangly bits on!

Certainly a massive improvement over the Frog/Hasegawa, Matchbox and Airfix Lightnings I'm familiar with in this scale, although I do have a Trumpeter copy and a couple of Sword kits in the stash, wonder how they compare?

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

. . . Kes (Great subject, should go nicely with my EE P1)

• Like 4

A little more progress, I've got some paint on with a Humbrol aerosol 'Polished Aluminium' and experimented with brush painting contrasting metalic shades to add a little interest, picked out various inlet and outlet detail with a cocktail stick and a tiny drop of 'matt black'! I have begun painting and assembling the landing gear parts losing one of the tiny forward nose gear bay doors to the carpet monster?

What a fantastic kit! I rarely build modern kits and this one goes together really well, no complaints here?

DSC_0647.jpg
. . . Kes
. . . .EDIT, apologys for the poor quality photo!
Edited by Kes
  • Like 3

A cracking and honest build so far. I can just remember having a cutting mat that clean :clif:IIRC the Sword T'Birds are rather short in the nose area but Quickboost do a replacement bit that (I think) sorts it. Your photos are a league above mine...

A cracking and honest build so far. I can just remember having a cutting mat that clean :clif:IIRC the Sword T'Birds are rather short in the nose area but Quickboost do a replacement bit that (I think) sorts it. Your photos are a league above mine...

Thanks for your reply SS, I appreciate your input.

That's my special build progress photo super clean cutting matt! Ha! not even in the room where I do my thing! As for correcting errors? See my A&AEE Javelin over in 'Ready for Inspection' the most inaccurate kit you could ever find? (except maybe Starfix'?) but it looks great! so I don't worry about such things (usually?!)

Kudos to modelers that do pursue super accuracy, but where does it end, does it go down to microscopic level? Seems my line in the sand is not as far as some?

. . . Kes (AMS free for . . . erm? . . . ages!)

• Like 1

A little more progress . . . .

This thing is a great kit! I'm mostly unfamiliar with modern kits and I'm really suprised with the level of detail in this brilliant little model? It's an engineering marvel! The lid of the Squadron Green has stayed on for this build with not a smidge of filler required. Fantastic!

Polished aluminium and various other metallics I have in the paint box to pick out various panels to add interest, landing gear on with the doors, canopy and IFR probe still to go, also applied walkway lines before the overwing tanks go on . . .

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

. . . A couple of hours left in this one I'd think before I have a representative 1/72 of possibly the most 'definitive' Lightning ever built?

. . . Kes

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...