British 155mm FH-70 (my first resin kit)

picture1%20003_zpsawfqzsbv.jpgOk so only my second posting in this section and my first attempt at a resin kit which was interesting! This has meant a lot to me as I served on these guns in the 1980's so it's something I've wanted to build for over 20 years but they're not cheap or easy to find. It was my first resin kit and came with some challenges the first being a badly warped barrel which in spite of several attempts couldn't be straightened so was replaced with an almost perfect section of plastic tube. I also managed to loose the whole breach block????? This resulted in my first foray in to scratch building which then led to putting right a number of inaccuracies and omissions in the kit including an air box and air lines, relocating the hydraulic compressors for the rear wheels, British side reflectors, a base plate drop mechanism and a return lever for the load assist assembly. It's not quite finished yet but I thought I'd post it now it's pretty much there. Next up is a diorama base to put it on and an accurate armour 155mm ammo pallet to go at the rear, shame they don't do a Foden 6x6 gun tractor to go with it. Sorry about the back drop but it's a big beast however I think it's an interesting subject but then I'm a bit biased, hope you like it?

Edited to add a pic of a real one on exercise up in Otterburn, I'd forgotten quite how big they were!

73702333-d252-424c-9197-b05131291c99_zps20151202_204535_zpsmkuyuoir.jpg20151205_173014_zpshtfduech.jpg00e85859-79f2-44df-8c7e-5b07a4a98deb_zps20151218_143048_zpswa70gcwd.jpg20160101_120527_zpsp79hqq0o.jpg

Edited by Wagtail
  • Like 15

Wow, nice work. I'm with Oz, the sun never shone any time I was at Otterburn. As for how big, there's one of these at the entrance t the barracks at Larkhill so I agree there; but the 1:1 doesn't look as good as yours.

• Like 2