Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen V Panther (Sd.kfz.171) Ausf.A.

Update Six

After another gloss coat to seal the chipping effects, i then created my own sludge wash using a very dark brown pastel, distilled water and a drop of washing up liquid.

DSCF3329.JPG

Once the wash was dry, it was cleaned up with cotton buds and then sealed with a dullcoat.

Once the dullcoat was dry, I then made up a filter of MIG's 502 Abteilung german ochre and applied all over the panther.

DSCF3331.JPG

• Like 3

Update Seven

The Panther was given another matt coat.

For this build i am trying out dot filters for the first time. I used 4 different oil colours and then dotted the panther with the four colours.

DSCF3335.JPG

DSCF3339.JPG

This was then blened in with a brush damped with low odour thinners.

DSCF3342.JPG

The whole of the Panther was done this way and left to dry.

DSCF3345.JPG

DSCF3346.JPG

This has left the paintwork with a subtle weathered effect. I may tidy up here and there as required.

• Like 3

plasmahal, on 03 Feb 2016 - 4:21 PM, said:
Update Seven
The Panther was given another matt coat.
For this build i am trying out dot filters for the first time. I used 4 different oil colours and then dotted the panther with the four colours.

NIce result for now mate, i have to try the method of the oils someday. Cheers :winkgrin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Update Eight

Been a while so decided to progress the Panther build. Apart from enjoying the MENG Whippet build, i was holding off this one as I was not looking

forward to the pigment weathering. Definitely my weakest skill at the moment. I used 3 shades of mud pigment from dark to light and muddied up the

hull areas likely to get mud.

DSCF3446.JPG

DSCF3445.JPG

This was blended together with low odour thinners and left to dry. Once dry and heavy areas were carefully knocked back with a soft brush. Once I had

something akin to what I was after I used pigment fixer.

Next was to the tracks on and weathered. These aftermarket tracks seemed like such a good idea at the time (because they were cheap). They are very

nicely detailed and are not too bad for cleaning up after removing from the sprue. The issue is if you don't assemble them properly or they come

apart after assembly, the little pins that hold them together break off so they no longer clip together. After what seemed several hours fitting

them, I had to use CA glue and styrene glue in many places to hold them together. I got there in the end and gave the tracks a mud wash.

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3449.JPG

I still have to finishing touches of weathering to do then it things like the MG and aerial bits and bobs and it should be done.

• Like 5

Update Nine

I have finished the Panther build now. I made an aerial from stretched sprue and sprayed it XF-84, dark iron. The MG was finished off with a dry brushing of stainless metallics and then a black ink wash. This was then fitted to the cupola rail.

I still plan to do a base for the Panther and then do the final reveal photos.

DSCF3450.JPG

DSCF3453.JPG

DSCF3454.JPG

DSCF3457.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Update Ten

I started work on the base. Using a picture frame and some leftover foam board. The foam board was measured and cut to size and super glued into the frame to make the base.

The top of the base was covered in the filler and the tamiya rubber band tracks were used to make track prints in the mud. I made the foamboard construction similar to the way the tank armour is made using by slotting the plates at the ends.

The frame was then masked off and the whole base primed with a rattle can grey primer.
This was then airbrushed with tamiya XF-60, Dark Yellow. Then using a similar camouflage pattern to the Panther, I used Tamiya XF-64, Red Brown and XF-58 to do the camo work.

Then a satin varnish has been added ready for some weathering.

DSCF3598.JPG

DSCF3601.JPG

Update Eleven

I Finished the base off now although I have run into some issues due to the limitations of using foam board, so need to fix those.

The top of the base was painted with various Vallejo or Tamiya earthy brown colours.

I first added some small rocks for interest and then added static grass the areas i wanted to be the field that tanks have been crossing. Then track worn areas were layered in various mud pigments.

DSCF3615.JPG

• Like 3

Inspirational build plasmahal.

Venerable mould it is, but readily identifiable as a Panther and even an "A" by the more versed. Tarted up it sure looks the business, and the inaccuracies of Tamiya's 70's kit don't detract from its overall impact nor impression as a representation of a Panther. Very nice work, accompanied by an interesting helpful hands on build thread. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I suspect that if I saw this on a stand and went to pick it up, it would be one of those situations where I'd almost throw it over my shoulder.... because I would assume the model and base to be very heavy and put too much force into picking it up! You know what it's like when you pick up one of those fake foam housebricks? In other words, you've made a few ounces of plastic look like tons of heavy metal.

Excellent painted/weathered metal effect and a nice build. Great job all round.

Two questions from a relative newbie.. Pigments. What did you use and what did you use as a 'pigment fixer'.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

I suspect that if I saw this on a stand and went to pick it up, it would be one of those situations where I'd almost throw it over my shoulder.... because I would assume the model and base to be very heavy and put to much force into picking it up! You know what it's like when you pick up one of those fake foam housebricks? In other words, you've made a few ounces of plastic look like tons of heavy metal.

Excellent painted/weathered metal effect and a nice build. Great job all round.

Two questions from a relative newbie.. Pigments. What did you use and what did you use as a 'pigment fixer'.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi,

Pigments is my weak point at the moment, still a lot to learn.

I use artists turpentine for either making a pigment wash or to put on an area then use a brush to dab the pigments in place.

Once all done and dry, I'll use AK's pigment fixer.

• Like 1