8 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Fantastic thread Pappy, really like what you are doing to this, I will build one..eventually and this thread will be a great reference. 

David.

G'day David,

Thanks very much,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So Pappy, did you ever get any further with this build?

I have just started building one myself, although I quickly decided to build the XL-2 instead, using a Kinetic B/D canopy donated by a friend. Your build is still very inspiring, so I would like to see if there has been any progress.

Jens

Just seen this thread.  I built this kit last year, as a Whif.  The hardware to have the airbrakes open is contained in this kit, just not pointed out in the instructions.

34978190414_3855e09ed1_z.jpg20170624_191014_zpsdoerkaup by Paul Carter, on Flickr

35008182883_9bb1f797d5_z.jpg20170624_191037_zpsg7mofjoz by Paul Carter, on Flickr

34978191544_9bdd89165a_z.jpg20170624_191005_zpsdm5gh4dt by Paul Carter, on Flickr

I would love to get another one, but make a 2-seater, using the bits from the Kinetic F-16B

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I am thinking about the same, Jens, crosskitting the XL-1 with the F-16D kit. Which scheme are you planning to do?

Nils

It will be painted in the Ferris scheme. 

Jens

1 hour ago, Jens said:

It will be painted in the Ferris scheme. 

Jens

Same as mine :) Must have to make some proper decals, though...

Nils

9 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Same as mine :) Must have to make some proper decals, though...

Nils

Will they be released under the Vingtor label? :)

My initial plan was to use as many decals as possible from the kit (or other kits) and then cut some masks for the rest. Luckily it didn't have that many markings.

Btw, if you have the Kinetic F-16A/B you can use the B parts and still build an A from the Kinetic kit. Better and cheaper than scrapping a D kit. I got my spare canpy etc. from a friend who once scrapped a couple of D's. In reality, the only parts worth using are canopy+frame, rear cockpit and the bulge/fairing behind the canopy. The shape of the front fuselage of the XL is different from the standard A/B/C/D, so using the entire front fuselage from the D might not be worth it.

Jens

I might do some decals for the XL, but I have not started planning anything yet. I think the kit decals' walkway lines are a bit too heavy, among other things.

Nils

• Like 1