Kittyhawk 1:48 Bell AH-1Z "Viper"

Lost interest in the Revell Super hornet as the instructions about glueing the small wheel bits together were unclear and made me frustrated. However, the Viper came in the mail a lot earlier than expected, so I've decided to start it! I couldn't resist; it's the newest tooled kit I've ever done, and it's filled with really good detail. I hope it'll go together well!

IMG_6112_zpsvf4kahvz.jpg

The kit comes with a small fret of photoetch for various mesh grills and seatbelts. Also included is a small weight ball and 2 sheets of decals. They aren't really glossy but more of a matte type which I don't know if it's unusual because I've only ever dealt with glossy decals. Instructions come with a small booklet with glossy covers. Overall, it seems like a well thought out kit with no compromise to detail. IMG_6117_zpsn1ptxib6.jpg

The clear parts are almost glass like!

IMG_6114_zpsu3rjjhgz.jpg

I was surprised to see only a grand total of 4 sprues, although one of them is quite large.

IMG_6123_zpsbv5voaiz.jpg

A close up of the exquisite surface detail: ( the droplets of water are from washing it with warm soapy water, something I learnt a while ago that supposedly helps to remove grease and enables acrylic paint to stick better )

IMG_6124_zpsj0k2shgg.jpg

Really excited to see how this turns out :D

• Like 2

A bit of advice...add a little more weight in the nose! I put some in the flir ball and it was enough to keep the beast sitting firmly on the skids. Also, when you get to the painting stage, paint the pylons before you attach them to the fuselage. You won't be able to easily mask the anti-skid black if you attach them first. Finally, think about how you plan to paint the rotors before you glue them up...it's a little harder to paint the hubs after they are assembled. Just some thoughts....

• Like 2

A bit of advice...add a little more weight in the nose! I put some in the flir ball and it was enough to keep the beast sitting firmly on the skids. Also, when you get to the painting stage, paint the pylons before you attach them to the fuselage. You won't be able to easily mask the anti-skid black if you attach them first. Finally, think about how you plan to paint the rotors before you glue them up...it's a little harder to paint the hubs after they are assembled. Just some thoughts....

Thanks for the helpful advice :)

Got the seats done on the first day; about 2 hours worth of work which took longer than I hoped. I know that everything should be flat black, but I thought that was boring so I used other colors. German grey for seats and olive drab for the seatbelts.

IMG_6141_zpsxtuypqio.jpg

• Like 3

I've been eyeing off this kit for a little while now so it'll be good to see how you go with it. If it goes together well, I might just have to pick it up

Looking forward to seeing more

MH

Got the cockpit finished this morning. However, it was really awkward putting everything together. Instruction's weren't very clear which somehow left a large gap between the pilot's MFD's and behind the gunner's seat. I think this area was unnecessarily complex and the detail was underwhelming. It's about the same in terms of detail, but worse in terms of difficulty compared to other 1:72 helicopter's I've done! For instance Hobbyboss' 1:72 WZ-10 attack heli's cockpit is a lot more detailed and easier to put together, which is somewhat shocking considering this is 1:48 scale. Also to note, the decals for the MFD's are terrible. They're really thick and just would not lay flat or set properly; even with Humbrol's decal fix.

IMG_6148_zpsaxpluwjk.jpg

IMG_6147_zpsamntptqu.jpg

Edited by caplus12000
  • Like 2

The cockpit section with the engines looks good.

Guy