1/32 - Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet & EA-18G Growler by Revell - F/A-18E & F released

Homebee

7 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Just got to that stage in life where I need to explain to my teenage children the value of money and other such responsibilities. After a fruitless attempt I now realise what I was doing wrong, clearly the Oxford Dictionary explanation of "Beerometer is just what I needed. So simple and yet so obvious...........perhaps the term will work with my wife when she discovers what I just paid to Hannants online???? 

Actually, maybe "Handbagometer" is the term you need when explaining cost comparison to one's spouse? So in the 70s you could buy "x"number of handbags for..............?😂😂

Allan

The Revell 1/32 P-51D is an excellent kit for the price, there's nothing wrong with it. All the serious reviewers and model makers like it. Brett Greens review http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/kits/revell03944reviewbg_1.htm Flory Models review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCD880vOZw Spencer Pollard  https://thekitbox.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/revell-132-mustang-ready-for-publication/#more-4331 (its in his new P-51 book ) 

Edited by Hypersonic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looking at the instruction sheet there is some work that you have to do to make the parts fit.

Not what you would expect to have to do in my opinion.

Robert

Despite any work required to make the parts fit , but it still looks a lot better that the Trumpeter version that's still gathering dust in my loft , the only issue I have with the kit is the main Undercarriage legs , they'll need replacing with something a little more substantial, but it looks a much better kit than the previously mentioned model

• Like 1

I have to admit that - going on the instructions anyway - it does look to be a nice kit.

However, is it just me, or does anyone else think that on the finished model the spine immediately behind the canopy looks a bit flat/squared off? I've tried to find a picture of the full-size article taken from the same viewpoint (either in reference books that I have or online), but without success so far.

Edited by hopkp

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

I have to admit that - going on the instructions anyway - it does look to be a nice kit.

However, is it just me, or does anyone else think that on the finished model the spine immediately behind the canopy looks a bit flat/squared off? I've tried to find a picture of the full-size article taken from the same viewpoint (either in reference books that I have or online), but without success so far.

I thought that too.

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/601-700/awa606-F-18e-Weintraub/09.jpg 

Edited by Stephen
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thanks for the helpful pic., from which it does seem that the kit's spine might be a bit too 'square'. If this proves to be the case when it's released, perhaps it would be possible to correct it by some careful sanding if the plastic's thick enough?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Thanks for the helpful pic., from which it does seem that the kit's spine might be a bit too 'square'. If this proves to be the case when it's released, perhaps it would be possible to correct it by some careful sanding if the plastic's thick enough?

It's sad that Revell  didn't see fit to correct it!   Otherwise, it looks like a  spectacular model.

Had a quick look at the instructions, first time I have ever seen instructions that actually tell you to remove flash from parts on a brand new tooling!

And not only that, you need to file down parts to ensure they fit correctly as well, and also increase the size of a notch by 2mm (all this is in the instructions and annotated by revell)

I appreciate their honesty, but surely this should not be in a modern tooling (just very surprised to see these guidelines to the modeller in the build instructions) ?

• Like 2

Some suggestions for questions to the RG representatives at this year´s Telford Show :

How many testshots have there been prior to release?

Why has the series of testshots not been brought to an end?

What were the reasons to select this tool shop and not the other one?

How many correction remarks had been made by the designer and how were these integrated?

How much money has been lost with the delay of the project (including all extra costs) and this compared to an alternate tooling?

What does this project mean for RG`s future market strategy in conjunction with the cut off of the Extra 300 and almost no new releases for 2019?

First time I see an instruction sheet from a mainstream manufacturer that tells you to remove flash and enlarge slots for the parts to fit. I wonder why, Revell's Fw 190A-8/R11 in 32nd has no flash.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

First time I see an instruction sheet from a mainstream manufacturer that tells you to remove flash and enlarge slots for the parts to fit. I wonder why, Revell's Fw 190A-8/R11 in 32nd has no flash.

Because the tooling and injection were not done in the same place ?

19 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I didn't know that.

I think that customers should stop thinking that an injected kit producer is systematically a factory with machines (toolshop, storage, injection machines) at the ground floor, designers at the first floor and HR/management/sales at the second floor. It depends. Some producers do the design internally, some outsource design (BraZ Models produced CAD models for Academy, Italeri, Minicraft, Revell). Some make the toolings themselves (especially the short-run kit producers like the ones in Ukraine), some outsource it. Some have injection machines, some outsource injection.

I appreciate their honesty, but surely this should not be in a modern tooling (just very surprised to see these guidelines to the modeller in the build instructions) ?

There's no "modern tooling". There's tooling and injection qualities that the producer can afford to get given the budget allocated for a particular project.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why are there so many complaints about small areas of correction required. This is not a £150+ kit, this is a Revell kit and it's sub £60. Where else are you going to find a "perfect" 1/32nd scale modern aircraft for that price? 

Accept the price, accept the defects and just build it. 

Happy modelling 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jet-mech said:

Why are there so many complaints about small areas of correction required. This is not a £150+ kit, this is a Revell kit and it's sub £60. Where else are you going to find a "perfect" 1/32nd scale modern aircraft for that price? 

Accept the price, accept the defects and just build it. 

Happy modelling 

Totally agree!🤗. At the bargain price, I can happily put up with having to do a little work on it. If I speak nicely to my partner she might even buy me a second one!! For my birthday of course!:lol:

Allan

• Like 3