Swordfish Mk.II/III from Swordfish Mk.I

Wez

I'm sure this has been asked before (by me possibly), but what would I need to do to convert a Mk.I to a Mk.II or III?

I was given the Airfile book on the Swordfish http://www.guidelinepublications.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=386&PICFILE=386&STKNR=386&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=927842 it's got some great profiles in it some of which are Mk.II's and Mk.III's.

I've got the Airfix Mk.I and the Pavla Mk.III ASV conversion so that covers some of the details but, what were the obvious external differences between a I and a II?

There's the deeper oil cooler on the starboard side and I'm aware of the metal skinning of the lower wing underside, how far did the skinning go? The Airfile book shows shows only localised skinning, is this the case? If so, I could probably get away with some 5 or 10 thou card, if it's a more extensive re-skinning does anyone have any advice on how to go about it (removal of ribs and then re-skinning)? Can anyone point me to some plans?

Lastly, I know the Mk.III's have the cowl over the Observer's cockpit, this is included in the Pavla conversion - any other gotcha's I should know about?

Happy New Year to you all.

Regards

Wez

In 1/72 I don't think I'd apply an extra sheet of plastic: it will look like add-on armour plate. I'd just mask off the outside edges of the 'metal' area, apply filler inside the masking, and file / sand it smooth.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

In 1/72 I don't think I'd apply an extra sheet of plastic: it will look like add-on armour plate. I'd just mask off the outside edges of the 'metal' area, apply filler inside the masking, and file / sand it smooth.

Thanks WiP, I hadn't considered filling it.

I've now dug out the Mark I Ltd Colours and Markings book on the Swordfish and they show the skinned area as starting from the 3rd rib outboard from the wing-fold to the 7th rib inboard from the wing-tip (about aileron mid-span), covering pretty much the full chord so it's a fairly substantial area!

My only concern with whatever method I use is getting a consistent finish - but then, that's always the problem isn't it?

Wez

The RNHF has a Mk II, so if u can find any decent pics of that, it should help as to the 'look' of the metal skinned lower wing.

The RNHF MkII is LS326, while the current display aircraft is a MkI, WS856. Just make sure you're looking at pictures of the right one...

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I am planning to do Mk II converting from Airfix Mk I (Swarodfish, of course :) ) . Not to start a new tread I found this one, but my main still not resolved question is about the interior. Are there important differences between Mk I and Mk II regarding the interior. I have some kind of feeling, that Mk II had crew of two instead of Mk I crew of 3 and there was additional fuel tank in place of middle seat.   Or I mixed up  something?

Cheers

J-W

10 hours ago, JWM said:

I am planning to do Mk II converting from Airfix Mk I (Swarodfish, of course :) ) . Not to start a new tread I found this one, but my main still not resolved question is about the interior. Are there important differences between Mk I and Mk II regarding the interior. I have some kind of feeling, that Mk II had crew of two instead of Mk I crew of 3 and there was additional fuel tank in place of middle seat.   Or I mixed up  something?

Cheers

J-W

Mk.I and II were both configured as 3-seaters (unless it was a trainer conversion, of course). When a long range tank was fitted in the observer's (middle) cockpit, only a crew of two would be carried. The Mk.III had the radar set taking up the observer's cockpit which had an extended fairing over the top aft of the pilot's cockpit bulkhead, therefore only a 2-seater.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...